Poutine

arabi

There are few foods which will clunk more satisfyingly to the bottom of your gut or stick more to your ribs: Poutine, the quintessential pig-out dish, which I dont know the English word for. It's a heap of crispy golden fries piled in a bowl, mixed with cheese curds, then smothered in piping hot beef gravy. This is my favorite comfort food that makes Josh groan just looking at it, LOL. Yummy!

Homemade fries (pomme frites), not frozen but ones actually cut off of potatoes in fat sticks, are fried golden, and placed in a bowl containing a handful of a particular type of cheese curd called "fromage en grain". It is not really a mozzarella or cheddar, but more similar to Monterey Jack, but shaped in many small lumps. More of this cheese is dumped on top of the fries, and then the entire melting mass is covered with preferably homemade and extremely hot brown beef gravy. The pile, as it cools quickly, coagulates into something resembling cement, and must be eaten quickly but not so soon that you burn the roof of your mouth. :)

It is traditional to consume this artery clogger with lots and lots of beer!

Yep! I've a French Canadian uncle and by best friend's from Ottawa (her mom's a Montrealer)

I've never heard an English word for it. (trust me if there was the Newfs would know it...Canada might be a bilingual country...Newfoundland's still trying to learn English!!) lol

they really do bastardize real poutine here though...some will use shredded cheese and canned gravy...bleuch!

I will have to find these cheese curds and order them. Then I am going to make this. It sounds so delicious and so comforting. Beer does sound good with it

Rebie

I think the nearest I can think of to it in english would be cheesy chips which is one of the babe's faves . I normally do potatoe wedges covered in strong cheddar {preferably the one with chillis in it or y fenni which has beer and mustard in it } with little bits of crispy bacon !

• 1 year later...

Ahhh Poutine! This has been one of my favourite things since coming to Canada! Doesn't "poutine" mean "mess" or something similar in French? We drive to Oshawa from Toronto to get the best poutine and steamers (hotdogs) around here.

Hmmmm, never had it, the closest thing I used to eat at the end of clubbing in much younger days of course was cheese fries covered in brown gravy, they serve it in most diners in the States!! I'm sure it is somehow derived from this though!!

Sounds yummy to me!!! I have found a new treat for me when we go to Hooters!!!! Tator tots smuthered in spicy cheese, with bacon bits, sour cream and scallons!!! As a tator tot freak, this has become my favorite when we go along with the wings, spicy of course! :kiss:

• 1 year later...

Poutine originates from Quebec (Canada) and there's no English translation for it... The name remains the same in French and English... The description that was given was pretty good, though I have to say that most places serve the poutine with regular fries (the thin ones) really golden...

I lived 3 years in Alberta and was really disappoint to see that there's no cheese curd out there lol... Everywhere I went to get a poutine, they served it with mozzarella or worst, cheddar!!! lolol... And if by chance you get to find a place where they sell cheese curds, it's expensive as hell lolol...

I have to admit that there's no better place to get a poutine than in Quebec and my favorite type of poutine is the Italian poutine... which, instead of having the gravy, they serve it with an Italian sauce... it's sooooo yummy!!! :) And I've found that the best place to get an Italian poutine is at "La Belle Province" restaurants... I usually buy there the family size like that there's enough to share it with my daughter lolol... I have to say that their family size used to be bigger than it is now and it used to cost $10 and now the price has gone up whilst the size has gone down... Nonetheless, it's REALLY worth it!!!

When ordering, don't be shy to ask for extra sauce if you're a sauce/gravy lover ;) They usually don't mind adding some if that means you'll come back for more lol and I'm telling you, you will!!! lolol :P

I strongly suggest you try it coz it's simply divine!!! :)

Aika

P.S.: If you eat a lot of it, just make sure you exercise coz you can easily add pounds to your frame with this delicacy!!! lolol...

Alberta sells cheese curds in a lot of places!!! Though I agree, most of the easy to find poutine places don't make it right. Some even microwave it! But a new restaurant just opened up called La Poutine that specializes in it, obviously. There are tons of different kinds you can get. Nothing beats the original though. I am not a fan of beef in the least, but it makes some damn good gravy.

I actually bought some things I coudl find to try and make this, but my frdige went on the blink and the food went bad. I suppose it was just a gentle reminder from my house: you are NOT a cook, don't bother!!!! lol

M

Alberta sells cheese curds in a lot of places!!! Though I agree, most of the easy to find poutine places don't make it right. Some even microwave it! But a new restaurant just opened up called La Poutine that specializes in it, obviously. There are tons of different kinds you can get. Nothing beats the original though. I am not a fan of beef in the least, but it makes some damn good gravy.

I lived in Edmonton for 3 years and we barely found a place where to buy some... and when we did find a place where it was sold, it was horribly overpriced... Yes, I saw many restaurants that microwaved poutines!!! lolol... Had never seen that before lolol...

Thanks for the tip on the restaurant "La Poutine" coz we've decided to permanently move back to Alberta (will probably live in Cal this time around though)... As much as I love Quebec and I grew up here... Alberta is where my heart has always been since I was 6 years old... My daughter loves it there, too... and so, we'll be growing roots there! Can't wait!!! :)

• 3 weeks later...

MMmmm poutine. I had some two weeks ago when I went home for a funeral. In northern New York, on the border of Quebec there is a small village with a diner that makes amazing poutine. Going to the diner for poutine was actually on the list of things that we needed to do. Lol!

• 1 year later...

Well our neighbors to the North ( Canada ) have a candy bar that we have in the States " Mars Bar ", the chocolate is so much different. Incredible, I brought back a case of that, one time !! I know this is off topic, but I can agree in having poutine up in Canada, was ooober good. :)

Regards,

Gypsy

Never heard of poutine; had to look it up. Looks real good, except it would take far too many Weight Watchers points; like a week's worth. :)

I make at least 20 poutines (no other name for it in any language but its pronouced at least 25 different ways a day... lol) a day... sometimes more... and I have been told its not traditionally made with beef gravy.. but a form of chicken gravy... Those in nothern quebec also add Chicken popcorn to theirs at their local KFC. Little fat blobs of chicken coated in bread crumb and deep fried... lol. KFC uses real cheese curds too... although I make it at home all the time with a good quality mozzarella chopped into chunks and poutine gravy. And except for us, almost all the restaurants in ontario and quebec use canned poutine gravy. My preference as a kid was dark brown gravy on it... yummy... but oober fattening! :munch:

I miss Poutine!! I loved it so before I became veg*n... that probably explains quite a few pounds I had back then, too.. :D

Bet I could make a veggie version.... my veg*n gravy is actually really good.... hmmmm......

Archived