Tourtiere

arabi

My ma mere used to make this every Yule. Enjoy:)

TOURTI?RE

1-1/4 lbs. ground pork

? lbs. ground beef

? tsp. ground cinnamon

? tsp. ground cloves (or substitute 1/4 tsp. allspice for cinnamon and cloves)

1 bay leaf

1/4 tsp. sage

2 tablespoons cornstarch

2 large potatoes, peeled and quartered

1 onion, finely chopped ? cup water

2 ribs if celery, finely chopped

1 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. Pepper

Pastry for two crust pie (9")

Put all ingredients except pastry into a saucepan with a cup of water and cook covered slowly 1- 1 1/2 hours, until meat and vegetables are tender and liquid cooked down. Add cornstarch thinned in a little cold water.

Stir occasionally. Let mixture cool before putting in pie plate. Put bottom crust in pie plate, spread mixture evenly and put on top crust. Trim and crimp edges. Slash to let out steam. Brush top crust with an egg yolk mixed with 2 tablespoons of water if desired.

Oh thank you Arabi!! I've been wanting a recipe for this for a while....My uncle (by marriage) is French Canadian and his mother and sister were here last year summertime. There was a BBQ held at my aunt & uncle's house and his mother, Mariette, made her famous tourtiere. It was AMAZING!! By the end of the evening I was calling out to her, "La recette, Mariette! Mariette, la recette!!"

My uncle, who's also a chef btw, came over to me and said, "It's no use...I can't even make them like her...I don't know what she does to them!" By then we were all half in the bag anyways and I never did get the recipe...She also made pies with a potato filling and we had fresh corn from a roadside stand in Quebec brought down the day before (when they arrived). They took the corn on the plane with them in a carryon!!! I haven't eaten tourtiere since.

Thanks again,

J

Oh thank you Arabi!! I've been wanting a recipe for this for a while....My uncle (by marriage) is French Canadian and his mother and sister were here last year summertime. There was a BBQ held at my aunt & uncle's house and his mother, Mariette, made her famous tourtiere. It was AMAZING!! By the end of the evening I was calling out to her, "La recette, Mariette! Mariette, la recette!!"

My uncle, who's also a chef btw, came over to me and said, "It's no use...I can't even make them like her...I don't know what she does to them!" By then we were all half in the bag anyways and I never did get the recipe...She also made pies with a potato filling and we had fresh corn from a roadside stand in Quebec brought down the day before (when they arrived). They took the corn on the plane with them in a carryon!!! I haven't eaten tourtiere since.

Thanks again,

J

Oh you're welcome Jaime:)

Its hard to get those recipes from the ma mere's sometimes, LOL.

Very funny, they brought corn on the plane....hehe.

I still cant make it like mine did. Personally, I think the secret in how fatty the meats are; enhances the flavor, IMO.

Enjoy!

Oh you're welcome Jaime:)

Its hard to get those recipes from the ma mere's sometimes, LOL.

Very funny, they brought corn on the plane....hehe.

I still cant make it like mine did. Personally, I think the secret in how fatty the meats are; enhances the flavor, IMO.

Enjoy!

I know, I still laugh trying to picture the faces on the airport security looking at the xray scans of an overnight full of corn!! LOL

So maybe if you used pork and medium gr beef...a little more fat than the lean and extra lean I'm used to cooking with...hmmm, bonne idee, merci..

So maybe if you used pork and medium gr beef...a little more fat than the lean and extra lean I'm used to cooking with...hmmm, bonne idee, merci..

Oui. I have used sausage for this recipe as well. For the ground beef, I use a 80/20. I know its seems fatty but it really bumps up the flavor:)

• 3 years later...

Thanks Arabi!!! :)

I'm wondering if this is the meatpie (tourtière) from Lac Saint-Jean!?!?!? I've heard they're the best, though I never had the chance to try the one, precisely, from Lac Saint-Jean.., though I've tried other types of meatpies...

If you keep on making me drool with those great recipes of yours, I'll have to get you to cook some for me lolol... I'm loving seeing these great recipes of yours!!! :) :P

Aika

Archived