How healthy ???

Rainbow7

Off subject, not regarding the craft.

Was just wondering[ prob as had convo with friend of mine last night about it ] how healthy you all are, or not, lol !!!

Like how good you take care of your self, good diet, exercise, dont smoke, vitamins supplements, lots of water etc etc you get the drift !!!!!

As for me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,im not really that good girl in that department, lol, i smoke, eat generally what i feel at the time, though not terrible eater, total junk food do like good food tasty meals. Dont drink hardly any water. Loooooove my coffee, especially mochas,lol. Do drink alchol when i do go out, and get lets say bit wobbly, ok very!!!!!!!

Dont exercise, though very naturally slim bit on skinny side, and do run around lots as have 4 children, two still babies.

Dont take supps of any kind. Thats about it, one thing i wish i would actually do and will do eventually is to drink lots water, something been on my mind for ageeeeeeeeeees. Anyways, just curious guys, chat sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon xxx

Personally I'm surprised no ones put me out of my misery before now , I did give up smoking but have recently fallen off the chimmney if you know what I mean .

Definatly overwieght but do eat reasonably healthly . I do a lot of walking and gardening etc but don't know how much of that counts as excersise .

Then theres the depression /thyroid thing ..Sound have been put down years ago ..In fact its probably just the booze and the yoga keeping me going :eek:

Guest finyacluck

get back to california you health obsessed freak,

we worship the rotunda, danu style in this part of the world,

good booze, good company, good food, good loving'

thats the way to live,

no more doctor phil.

fill it up for life is what i say.

I detailed what and how I eat on another thread, and I've lost 40 pounds total (30 in the last year, 10 before that, when I'd only made a few changes) so far. I've found it's not what you eat but what's in it! Meaning the additives, preservatives, and chemicals in processed food. Making your own food is much better for you than anything store bought or from fast food joints.

I smoke, but I stuff my own. I buy tobacco in 1-lb bags--I'd grow my own if I didn't have a black thumb!--and tubes and have a stuffing machine. After you get the hang of it, you can stuff a pack in about 15 minutes, while watching TV or a movie so it doesn't seem so much like a chore. Smoking isn't bad for you, but like processed food, the prepackaged cigs are loaded with chemicals and additives. Get pure tobacco (organic is best). Like other herbal remedies, tobacco is on Big Pharma's hit list. (When people try to quit, what do they turn to most of the time? What do you see advertized on TV all the time? Gums, patches, drugs...) Research tobacco and smoking, but it takes some digging to get to the bottom of it. One good place to start is www.forces.org and for those in the UK www.freedom2choose.info to learn why smoking is taking a bad rap these days. Another good place to learn more is http://wispofsmoke.net

I also take vitamins and supplements. About 6g of Vit C a day (started off low and worked my way up--smoking depletes Vit C); Vit E; Red Wine Extract, with bioflavanoids to go along with the Vit C, the bioflavonoids make the C work better or absorb better or something like that; acidophilus; and some others.

I'm 50 years old, smoke like a chimney, and not on any medication. I feel better than I have in years! Getting away from processed food and taking vitamins helped my osteoarthritis, very little pain now when before I could barely get up and down without enormous pain in my joints.

Soap Fairy, don't beat yourself up over "falling off the chimney". Life's too short not to enjoy the things we like. Switch to stuffing your own. You'll save a bundle, pay a lot less in tobacco taxes (loose tobacco isn't as heavily taxed as premade cigs are), and the machine will pay for itself in no time!

I go thru healthy phases. Sometimes healthy and sometimes not...I'm trying for more of a balance now...For me personally it's quite hard with a partner who isn't interested at all in being fit and healthy...means I'm on my own a lot in that area...

Okay - organic tobacco... tell me more. Would love to quit, being a heavy smoker. I was thinking about getting a pipe as I would smkoe less (they go out...etc.) but it would be rough while driving and on break at work... I'd never hear the end of it! I wonder if I could just roll my own (wouldn't the teenagers LOVE that - lol). I was also thinking of trying to find some herbs that are smokeable... b ut considering the addiction is to chemicals and the psychology of smoking, well at least with organics I'd lose the chemical part, then I'd just have to contend with the psychological part... I wonder if I rolled my own and walked down the road smoking one if the cops would stop me - lol - the neighbors already think I'm weird... :-)

Before you jump on the "organic" bandwagon, do some research. Smoking is smoking, period. Switching to organic may make you feel better about your addiction, but it's still an addiction. Lungs weren't meant to be smoked into.

Guest Red Witch

I smoke, drink like a fish and have every bad health habit going. I'm apalled at myself! But, I'm generally in ok health, eat healthily and laugh a lot. I had a gym membership, paid a shedload for it and went about 10 times. I didn't get fitter but I did damage both my bank account and my knee!

I'm not as healthy as I could be, but far healthier that I used to be. I use moderation with my vices, which means I have cut back smoking drastically and don't drink to drunk except rarely. I would like to exercise and one day will come up with a plan that has me doing it regularly. Overall, I'm not terribly out of shape, though improvements can be made.

I'm going to sound like miss goody two shoes here, but its an unhealthy diet and life style which caught up with me....plus a wagonload of stress which I think is worse than anything.

I don't drink or smoke. I don't eat a lot of meat and I try not to touch processed foods. I take iron and vit c supplements and drink tons of water and herbal teas.

I walk at least every other day for five or six miles....the gym isn't for me....too many posers in there....and I have just returned to cycling. I also use meditation to relax a lot, instead of using it for other things.

But, I'm 52....diabetic and have a heart problem, so I have to do as I'm told...I just wish I had exercised more when I was younger.

I think exercise, learning how to relax and moderation in everything else :)

Oh aye...I agree with KW on the smoking....it doesn't matter what you smoke, its still clogging up your lungs and arteries!!

I've just turned 40, smoke (hubby rolls them for us both as I could never get the hang of it - and its a darned sight cheaper than buying fags!), enjoy the odd drink (we've lots in the house but I never really seem to get time to have any of it, perhaps a couple of bottles of wine between us a month), exercise is digging and weeding on our allotment and eating is fairly healthy, I dont buy preprocessed food, but love to cook, especially with fresh organic foods that we've grown ourselves!

We do eat meat (Have tried vegetarianism, but missed the bacon butties too much), tho tend to buy organic, free range and ethically produced meat from a local butchers where the quality is excellent! I also believe that if we choose to eat meat that we have a duty to ourselves, the animal and the Land to take responsibility for our actions, so have been hunting, have killed rabbits, skinned and gutted them and then eaten them! There's nothing like having to do it from start to finish for yourself to bring home the true responsibility of your actions! (BTW - the rabbits in question are wild ones that have a nasty havit of getting onto the allotment and eating everyones crops, we offered to try to keep their numbers down by shooting when we heard some were thinking of trying to control their means in a much less humane way - by introducing chemical poisons and / or diseases. A quick death from a shot to the head is IMHO prefferable to hours of agony from poison!)

The upshot of the above? I'm fairly healthy tho a bit overweight, but being 5'13" means I carry it quite well! lol!:p

I'm a notorious health nut ;) Don't get me started, my friends would warn you that I'd happily write a book on good diet and exercise, minimal drinking and no smoking or drugs.

However, one thing that is hard for me in this path to explain to others is that I do it for a sense of balance. If I feel unbalanced chemically, internally, I can't work anything out. I think that a healthy diet is also a command of willpower, which is also an important ingredient in a witch. But I'm as human as anyone ;)

Real mix of answers as expected ;)

laughed at ya comment soap, booze and yoga, think it was, hoooooooooooooow funny was literally in stiches here you put/ gave me a huge smile, what a character !!!!!!!!

Each to there own, as most things in life eh?

Still want to personally try to drink tons of water though, wont leave me lol chat sooooooooooon xxx

Before you jump on the "organic" bandwagon, do some research. Smoking is smoking, period. Switching to organic may make you feel better about your addiction, but it's still an addiction. Lungs weren't meant to be smoked into.

Yes, please research BOTH sides. That's why I included some links. Always research both sides, not just what the media and the anti-tobacco groups forcefeed us, and learn the facts.

An enjoyable habit, not an addiction. Chemicals and additives are what's "addicting" about the premade cigs. I could tell the difference right away after switching from premades.

Native Americans smoked for millennia. Tobacco was meant to be smoked. Not much different than burning candles, incense, wood fires, grilling, etc. Smoke is smoke.

An enjoyable habit, not an addiction. Chemicals and additives are what's "addicting" about the premade cigs. I could tell the difference right away after switching from premades.

See I'm a smoker, and I've smoked both natural and the premade. Truthfully, both of them are bad, though the natural one as you state have less additives ergo the smaller chance of getting cancer, but the chance IS still there.

Regarding addiction, it isn't really a physical addiction, it is a psychological addiction. Whether you are smoking natural or not, the addiction is still there (psychological).

On another note, I'm planning to quit with the New calendar year. I've done this already and wasn't smoking for 3 years..then went back on a visit to Italy and I lasted exactly 3 days without smoking. Everyone was a chimney there right in front of me :eek:. There was NO hope of remaining an ex-smoker :(

I don't really excercise and that sucks as I have a treadmill at home and I could use it any second. I have no excuse except laziness...SIGH. I do try to eat healthy though ;). We hardly order out. Everything is always home cooked.

I am trying to change to a more healthy lifestyle, but am trying to do it gradually as I have a habit of jumping into things with both feet, which of course gets overwhelming and then it doesn't work - lol. I tend to be plump and very cruvy. My gf is a very lean and muscled size 8. SHe eats like a pig and never gains a pound (bitch -lol), but then she is a property manager for a living and is constantly landscpaing, fixing, climbing, dragging, bending, drilling... etc. I sit in an office all day :-( But it works for us as she actually prefers plump, finding it a more feminine look in her mind. Still, I'd love to get a little more movement into my life. I do mow my lawn and hike, but, obviously, not on a daily basis...

Haven't been on in a bit, but just popped in to check things out. Lots of new people ! Cool!

As for diet/lifestyle, I'm a vegetarian. I didn't do it for health reasons, but I think that since it's my main dietary requirement, it's important. I am more on the "healthnut" side of things. I also don't eat much sugar. I try to eat locally grown things for economic/political reasons and I eat organic when I can afford to!!!! I eat very little dairy, and I exercise all the time.

And of course after I posted in this thread yesterday about minimal drinking and not messing with my internal chemistry, I went out and got smashing drunk ;) oooh vodka and apple juice, so yummy in November. I never get a hang over, though. It's good to be a witch sometimes ;)

I never get a hang over, though. It's good to be a witch sometimes ;)

I never did either... until I got into my thirties. As the body alters, so does the ability to break down alcohol. Thus my secondary reason to drink in moderation. Hangovers suck.

Thought I'd give you a heads-up since no one warned me and it was not a pleasant surprise. lol.

I never did either... until I got into my thirties. As the body alters, so does the ability to break down alcohol. Thus my secondary reason to drink in moderation. Hangovers suck.

Thought I'd give you a heads-up since no one warned me and it was not a pleasant surprise. lol.

lol, thanks for the heads up, Leigh. Here I was hoping I could protect myself somehow by being all "tuned in," but I guess water won't hurt as I get older ;)

I'm trying to be healthier. . .but a gastric bypass is looming on the horizon. My BMI is 43. I go to the gym at least twice a week now, and I'm trying to eat better, but it doesn't always work. I don't drink often, and I stopped smoking years ago, but I'm tttthhhhhhiiiiiiiissssssssss close to starting again. Don't take vitamins, can't stomach them.

So that's my story, and I'm stickin to it

Amy

I'm not sure if I would be considered healthy or not.

--I don't follow any conventional standards for nutrition. I just eat whatever I want, whenever I want it. If I crave something, I eat it. I do eat a lot of junk food, although I do occasionally go on a health kick.

--I'm thin, actually clinically underweight, but only by about 5 lbs or so. I've been at the same weight for over a decade, despite my attempts to gain a few pounds, so I think it's just my natural weight.

--I don't drink or smoke, and I don't take supplements. I hate taking pills of any kind.

--I don't exercise, but I do a lot of physical labor during the day. I think it's all the same whether you're running after a cow or running on a treadmill.

--I never get sick. Sometimes I have to clear my throat and wonder if I could be fighting off a virus, but it never goes beyond that. I think the last time I was actually sick was when I was in elementary school.

Overall, I consider myself healthy. I feel good, and I feel strong, although I know I could do better. Maybe one of these days, I will. :)

• 1 month later...
Guest Renegade

I have known a couple of people who have died of this "Sudden Death Syndrome", and they were sport freaks who ate and drank all the "right things". I'm inclined to go along with the theory that all things are poisons if you don't use moderation, and if you have susceptibilities in the family - knock it off and play it safe (or at least cut down)

I don't drink alcohol because I had to go without when I was epileptic. (meant to go without, should I say) so I found the taste of the stuff was hard to adjust to. I did have the occasional sweet white wine, and decided I actually quite liked WKD Blue. After the last pregnancy I went off drinking alcohol completely because I just couldn't stand the aftertaste. I don't mind it in food, as long as it isn't coffee or aniseed flavoured, or rum.

I'm on a see-food-and-eat it diet if I go out, but at home I restrict myself unwillingly to basics (fussy kids, so no point going all out just for me. Haven't the time. Shame cos I love cooking.)

Never smoked. Reminds me of the Dad I wished I never had.

Apart from running round after the kids, I don't exercise much. I occasionally use a skipping rope (cos it amuses the kids) but other than that, running up and down stairs pretty much covers it.

I'm about 5'4 ish, and a British size 8, but completely untoned.

Because of all the medication I was on growing up, I don't even take aspirin or paracetamol unless it's for something serious. Even then I usually half the dose I've been advised to take!

Don't drink, don't do drugs, am on a restrictive diet due to a long term condition, but I do smoke (at least for the next 21 days). ;) I walk in the woods as often as I can and I keep my brain in check by constantly reading.

Archived