Sage

Grim

Does anyone else cringe when they see people burning only sage for everything?  It's like they have no idea how to mix up herbs and hot coal. 

Sage can't be the answer to everything at the least they can throw some rosemary in there...

Edited by Grim
Misspelled
  • Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 2:44 AM, Grim said:

Does anyone else cringe when they see people burning only sage for everything?  It's like they have no idea how to mix up herbs and hot coal. 

Sage can't be the answer to everything at the least they can throw some rosemary in there...

hahaha yep I feel the same. Every time I see someone sage smudging on TV I roll my eyes.

Monkey See, Monkey Do I guess. Many folks just don't like to learn about something for themselves and are happy to copy from those on media platforms.

It seems pretty cheesy. I don't know how to mix herbs and hot coal! I like to burn a stick of nice quality Japan incense sometimes. kayuragi is a nice brand and I know aloeswood is considered the fan favourite fragrance, I like rose too. yes i do burn it ritualistically, sort of!! I have read before that white sage is kind of endangered due to demand from new agey types? I've reposted this too many times but someone shared it with me on this site and I think it's just a great read: Saining Not Smudging

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think for most people who abuse it, a very thoughtless act. they encountered claims that it was powerful / the right thing to do / accepted practice / whatever, and so they thought that was what they should do.

i used to work in big box book retail... i had a lit degree... i was very passionate about being a writer at that time in my life. i used to serve customers who wanted a book about how to write but they were very anxious about learning to write "the right way", not learning to write in a way that they would have to unlearn because it is the "wrong" way? ??? ?? its so funny because we all inhabit our language since we are a baby, theres no right or wrong thing to do with it, only currency of usage thats literally all,. only finding the way to express yourself. [incidentally. when successful writers are asked their advice to be a better writer, they invariably say "write more. read more."]

this reminds me of those people. there are whole industries made up of commercial predators who make a living out of telling people they are doing things wrong and they need to get advice from an expert, in a field that has nothing to do with objective reproducibility ie scientific observation and everything to do with subjective experience.

Novitiates who are obsessed with burning sage need to get out of their comfort zone. explore and discover the possibilities of meaning. experiment. be OK with doing a wrong thing. discover themselves.. express their being. or they are doomed to remain novitiate level forever, i guess.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, StanLily said:

Someone on Facebook suggested throwing sage at people to cleanse them of their bullshit. The way I throw, I'd hit an innocent bystander. 

i like that idea.

i wonder if the innocent bystander were truly innocent of bullshit, like a real zero bullshit person, maybe it would make them negative-bullshit, like a super warrior against bullshit

• Like 1

Well, information is viral in nature, isn't it? And unless someone resonates with, and chooses to engage with further, additional information, well, it's going to be what is in the mainstream that most people learn from. And yeah, @Phagos imitation is one way, a significant way, of how people learn. We see that something is possible, mirror neurons do their thing, and our "monkey self" has a new action or bit of knowledge to use/draw on.

If folks are open to learning about sustainability and respecting traditional practices of worldwide traditions, they soon find that certain products like white sage are facing a level of endangerment, as well as co-opted use by folks who have not been sufficiently educated in its use: functions (what does, what it does not do), history, spirits associated, protocols (prep, precautions, whatever), rituals, methods, why it is sacred...

Some will even advocate that it shouldn't be used unless someone has been given permission and proper protocol by Indigenous cultures with whom it originates (as @Moly referenced and linked an article). This can be said for many rituals, Earth products, etc. Sourcing from Indigenous sellers is a "middle way" recommended as well. Of course, it usually costs more money, and could make it prohibitive to folks as well. Of course, do those people need it? Others here have mentioned using what they forage.

Similar education could be applied to palo santo, crystals, really anything... the commercialization of witchcraft/shamanic traditions is something we are contending with these days as a result of its increase in acceptability and popularity. With that "good" of these practices becoming more accepted by the mainstream comes the "bad" of cheapening, misappropriation, uneducated use. Once something is on the market, if someone has the money to buy it, it's theirs, right? Whether they truly know about its traditional use, whether they understand its spirit or function, if they know about where it comes from and the blood and violence that may be on it, either literally or in its egrigore.

I haven't always been so correct in these regards myself. I have purchased these things from "the bin" at metaphysical stores after learning about all of this stuff (especially now that I am in Europe where white sage is an import commodity AFAIK), because it was available and I really felt that I needed it. Did I? I don't know. I bought a stick of Palo Santo this year and then lost it before I could use even 3/4 of it. Just gone. I thought that was an interesting message, maybe that I hadn't really earned the right to use it, or that I wasn't using it correctly. Too bad, because honestly, it's a contender for my favorite scent of all time.

Anyway, I'm rambling a bit here.

Do I cringe? I dunno, maybe a little. There's also a part of me that says "oh, cool!" but yeah... It would be nice to see it "spiced" up a bit (nod to the "humor" forum). And I am most certainly not claiming to be an expert in the functional uses of various smoke cleanses/smudges (though that word is contentious/controversial as well...). I do know a few things, but certainly others know more. It's just like anything else. The more we learn, the more we see that others who know less "don't know." Yeah, sage may be good for clearing energy, but it doesn't brighten or add positivity, supposedly. Something like lemongrass or sweetgrass would do that.

I've been experimenting with resins and putting herbs on coal though, actually. Resins have similar issues of supply and sourcing as well. Most of all though I love sourcing my own while I forage. That always feels the most meaningful to me. I still haven't learnt to properly bundle in that woven way that keeps everything together tightly even as it is burnt.

Honestly, what bugs me more  is bad incense, that cheap crap that smells like a Glade Plug-in. A number of years ago I had a box of real Tibetan incense sticks... oh wow they smelt heavenly... anyone else notice how the preciousness of such commodities increases exponentially in an inverse relationship with how much you have left?

• Upvote 1