Photo
- - - - -

Do you use, own,tarot cards?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

#21 Jaime

Jaime

the cat's staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:40 PM

I have two decks, "tarot of the old path" and the "Morgan Greer" tarot deck. I love them both. I was given the former and found the latter myself. My hubby loves collecting the decks and has one called "Servants of the Light" tarot. We both love oracle systems. I also like the Ogham (have a card deck called the "Celtic Tree Oracle") and I have an animal deck "the Druid Animal Oracle."

Though I'm told I'm accurate with the cards, I have a hard time with interpretation and feel my skills aren't adequate with them. I'm more of a tea leaves, palmistry kind of person. I am also thinking up a personal divination system, i.e., my own symbols, my own interpretations. I go by intuition with the cards and sometimes my meanings contradict what the book says the card means - it can get a little confusing! Whatever...:) I love my decks and for me to buy one I must be drawn to it!

Jaime

:howl-moon:

Respect the Elders. Teach the Young. Cooperate with the Pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your Mark.

:Witch-1:

#22 Guest_Dragonman_*

Guest_Dragonman_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:48 PM

I use the Celtic Dragon Tarot. I was actually looking for the shapeshifter tarot and found the CDT at the same time and thought I would try both and the CDT worked out the best for me.

I like it for several reasons. Firstly the art work is in a style that I like, and the pictures allow me to bring forth meanings. Secondly it has lots of dragons in it, which I have always liked. Never really found another dragon tarot deck that had dragons in the right style. Third, it has the elemental association that I work with. I have trouble if fire is not associated with swords. Its just one of my things.

I keep my deck rapped in a green silk sheet my sister gave me, then put it in a purple tarot sack, or what ever they are called. I don't think I ever clense my cards any more. I feel that its better if they pick up the energy of the readings they do, like the more they have built up inside, the better they will be. Though if I am doing 2 or more readings after each other then I will tap the deck on something natural to "knock" the last reading out of it. I also try to carry my deck around with me as much as possible, so that the bond between us is always strong, and they are always there if they are needed.

My reading have become quite good now, just happened after using the deck for a while, and I can do reading in person, over the phone and even over e-mail, though I don't like without direct communication.

Dave

#23 Rainbow7

Rainbow7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:30 PM

Hi Dave, yeeeeeeeeeeeees there certainly is something about dragons huh? good pack you have there. Its fab when you find the right pack seems to have everything, like you said regarding your swords issue you like fire? i agree it dosnt seem ,feel right without eh?
Anyways chat soooooooooooooooooooooooon x

To take every thing as a pinch of salt, if need to use it as an ingredient to your inner you. Use it, if not sprinkle it back to mother earth for someone else to use.

#24 Ancestral Celt

Ancestral Celt

Hermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:39 PM

Hi,
My first thread since joining couple days ago,apart from intro. Was wondering if any of you use or own tarot cards. If so, what kind, pack and why? Whats ya favourite if have more than one[ if poss to have a favourite, some like all for diff reasons some have particular one]
What special cleansing charging etc do you do? If you feel like sharing to others.

I own a few decks of tarot and a few oracle decks. I use them both for myself, and for others in readings. The tarot cards are used specifically for readings (bar one), the oracle decks for meditation, journeywork and spellwork. The only exception is my main tarot deck which is put to all purposes because I have a unique affinity with it; that deck is the Greenwood Tarot.

I don't do any cleansing or charging. If a deck feels right, I use it. If it doesn't feel right, I pass it on.

#25 Tiffany

Tiffany

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:55 PM

I have druidcraft and robin wood that I use and vampire and cat people but they aren't so good. I usually cleanse with smoke and charge but nothing mental and complicated.

#26 Guest_Tiger Lady_*

Guest_Tiger Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:44 PM

I use the Druid Animal Oracle. It is my only tarot/oracle and I think its my attachment to this particular deck that doesn't allow me to even think of using a different one. I absolutely love it and I feel it "speaks" and communicates to me very well.

I only charged/cleansed it the very first time I used it. I did this by building up energy of protection, strength, prosperity, and ... (I can't think of the other energy). I then imagine all the energy surrounding me at once and I then blew the energy onto the deck and reinhaled it three times. I guess you'd call it exchanging energy - I'm not sure. But this is what i do with most of my items - mojo bags, pendulums, rocks, etc...

Here's a picture of a sample reading of mine. Aren't the cards beautiful!?!

Attached Files

#27 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:44 PM

I actually own a few sets, the classic Rider-Waite set, bought 30 years ago, plus a "learner set" with meanings printed right on the cards, and thirdly a beautiful Golden Tarot with gilded edges. They have such an allure, don't they?

Unfortunately, I never really learned to read them, but I fully intend to.
I remember having a Halloween party many years ago, and a friends wife could read. I set her up with a table in the middle of the living room, and she was the hit of my party. After that, I knew I really had get down to it someday and work on learning them, but I want to "master" the runes a little better first before moving on.

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#28 Guest_Tiger Lady_*

Guest_Tiger Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:45 PM

After that, I knew I really had get down to it someday and work on learning them, but I want to "master" the runes a little better first before moving on.

I know why you mean G. I finally feel comfortable enough with my oracle that i can start my runes and not feel like I'm jumping from one thing to another.

#29 Deb13b

Deb13b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:49 AM

I used to collect tarot & oracle decks, I had hundreds, but I sold most of them last year when I split from my little boys dad. It was awful selling them but I needed the money. All my limited editions & out of print ones went !

I've still got about 50 I think. I go through phases with them, I always get a feeling of which one I need to use. I'm currently using the Bohemian Gothic for dark readings & Waking The Wild Spirit for spiritual guidance readings. I have read for myself for many years, only just recently started doing readings for other people for free on another website just to see if I'm any good at it !

I keep mine wrapped in silk, in a tarot bag. In the past I have smudged them with sage, kept crystals with them or left them out in the moonlight to get a good cleansing. Now I only do that for decks that I have bought used.

I generally try to pull 3 cards each morning, for general guidance.

1. What I need to know
2. What I need to do
3. What I need to remember

I also use them for meditation. Years ago I went through a period where I consulted them about EVERYTHING, but I realised it was an unhealthy obsession & cut right back.

#30 CottageLady

CottageLady

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 04:41 PM

I own several Tarot decks, my favorite is the Universal Waite, but I also like the Robin Wood. I have several others including the Aquarian, which I now never use. It's odd but I have never felt totally comfortable using the Aquarian deck. You need to use a deck that speaks to you.

I consult Tarot before a spell to see if it is worthwhile or helpful to actually do the spell, or not. I think this is a sensible precaution.

I also wrap the deck I am currently using for readings, the Universal Waite, in silk. I use the another deck by my bedside. At night, I draw a card at ramdom and read about it in one of three guides I use. It would be nice to spend more time with Tarot and improve my ability to interpret. However, we all need to be selective with our time, as there is never enough.

#31 Guest_kissedthepixies_*

Guest_kissedthepixies_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:44 PM

I fancy myself a collect of tarot cards! I own several decks. Not all of the decks are for using though. Some, like the Shakespeare tarot, are just for the looking. ;)

I own Animals Divine, The Shakespeare Tarot, Tarot of a Moon Garden, The Faeries Oracle, Forest Folklore, The Goddess Oracle (Doreen Virtue), Healing with the Angels (also Doreen), Sharman-Caselli Tarot, Posted ImageTarot Art Nouveau.I was once in possession of The Fairy Ring Oracle but I traded it to a friend. It's a very beautiful deck and I hope to get my hands on a copy someday again.

#32 Greenfeet

Greenfeet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:55 AM

I do not have tarot cards. I have not felt called to own them.

I was telling Startella that the other week I did see an old Aleister Crowley Tarot card set in a yardsale for $2. And as soon as I saw them I heard a good friend's name. I walked over and picked them up and I knew they had to go to that friend, who is a bit of a Crowley fan.

I don't know much about these cards, they looked old, but where in good condition. So I bought them and stopped by his house on the way home and gave them to him. The look on his face was priceless! He asked if I was SURE I wanted to give them to him, "they might be a valuable collector's item or something." But I was sure they had to go to him. I think if I would have tried to keep them, those cards would have bugged me until I fiannly gave them to him LOL!

Anyway, how often can you buy a present for $2 that is that cool? :)

#33 Nyxiah

Nyxiah

Mistress of Twisted Bats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:19 AM

I have 2 sets of Tarot cards which are a nice set of the Rider Waite deck and a set of Dragon Tarot cards which i don't use much but I have a set of Doreen Virtues Goddess guidance cards which i like using a bit, i find for myself they are helpful if i need a nudge in a certain direction or to make sure i'm on track.

I'm interested in getting a set of the Oracle of the Dragonfae by Lucy Cavendish, i think the images are gorgeous but i'd like to see a set first before i'd buy them. I'm very look before you buy and if they don't sit right with me, no matter how pretty, i just don't buy them. I believe the right set for you will let you know it's there :D

#34 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 01:17 PM

I have a few tarot decks, and I have traded away a couple that I just did not use at all. My favorite deck style is the Rider Waite deck and I think I have about 3 of them, one that I really like but don't use too much is the purple deck with gold guiled edges. I am still seeking something else different that I like, but at the same time this simple deck does work just fine for me.
“Draco Dormien Nuquam Titillandus”
(Never Tickle A Sleeping Dragon)

#35 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 02:07 PM

I have the Housewives tarot which is a rather creepy little tarot dressed up in Taffita, heels, martinis and jello. pictures form the USA 1950's
I really like it.

#36 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:37 PM

I have the Housewives tarot which is a rather creepy little tarot dressed up in Taffita, heels, martinis and jello. pictures form the USA 1950's
I really like it.

Sounds like a pretty cool deck there spinneyhex.
Rebie

#37 Leigh

Leigh

Lover, Dreamer, Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:25 PM

I really like it.

Looked it up online and OMG... lol. I love that deck! What fun *grin*

HOUSEWIVES TAROT

#38 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:10 PM

Looked it up online and OMG... lol. I love that deck! What fun *grin*

HOUSEWIVES TAROT

This deck is on my list, if nothing more than to just to have I just love it too!! LOL

“Draco Dormien Nuquam Titillandus”
(Never Tickle A Sleeping Dragon)

#39 Nyxiah

Nyxiah

Mistress of Twisted Bats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:52 AM

lol what a great deck, i enjoyed that and i loved that the high priestess is a maple syrup lady!!
I make the path - Alice from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

#40 Guest_Kathrina_*

Guest_Kathrina_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:53 PM

Yeah, that is a very cool deck, Spinney! :D