On Holiday From 10/14-10/22

AnjelWolf

Ok guys and gals...this witch is taking a vacation from October 14th until October 22. I will be in New Orleans...LAUGHING, RELAXING, SIGHT-SEEING, TAKING LOTS OF PICTURES (hopefully), along with all sorts of WITCHY SHIT (maybe even dance around Marie Leveaus Tomb with FurryJack and my other sister witches?!)...along with only who knows WHAT LOL!

Details will follow upon returning :) :) :)

Have fun and be careful. I know you can take car of yourself but, still it isn't as safe as it is at home. A friend of mine that lived there before Katrina said she always worried about the tourists because they were so unaware of the danger there. Maybe it isn't so bad now. Can't wait to hear your report and see your pictures!

Have fun and be careful. I know you can take car of yourself but, still it isn't as safe as it is at home. A friend of mine that lived there before Katrina said she always worried about the tourists because they were so unaware of the danger there. Maybe it isn't so bad now. Can't wait to hear your report and see your pictures!

She's got ME to guide her. I'm a native, and I lived here during Katrina, and I live here now, thus I am well aware of where to go and where not, etc, etc... so she'll be in good hands. :D

Yes, our crime rate is high, among the highest in the nation when it comes to murder. BUT, most of those murders are black on black drug-related crimes that happen in Central City and other ghetto-type areas, NOT in the French Quarter, which is where we'll be.

I'm not trying to downplay our crime issues by any means. We have plenty of them and trust me when I say that it's frustrating, and frightening at times, to those of us who live here. But going to New Orleans isn't any different than going to DC, or LA, or any other big city that has high crime. Tourists need to be smart and safety-conscious wherever they go.

Ok guys and gals...this witch is taking a vacation from October 14th until October 22. I will be in New Orleans...LAUGHING, RELAXING, SIGHT-SEEING, TAKING LOTS OF PICTURES (hopefully), along with all sorts of WITCHY SHIT (maybe even dance around Marie Leveaus Tomb with FurryJack and my other sister witches?!)...along with only who knows WHAT LOL!

Details will follow upon returning :) :) :)

We may dance AROUND Marie's tomb, but not ON it... and I shudder to think of the comments we're going to receive while carrying the FurMan around the FQ... LOL!!

She's got ME to guide her. I'm a native, and I lived here during Katrina, and I live here now, thus I am well aware of where to go and where not, etc, etc... so she'll be in good hands. :D

Yes, our crime rate is high, among the highest in the nation when it comes to murder. BUT, most of those murders are black on black drug-related crimes that happen in Central City and other ghetto-type areas, NOT in the French Quarter, which is where we'll be.

I'm not trying to downplay our crime issues by any means. We have plenty of them and trust me when I say that it's frustrating, and frightening at times, to those of us who live here. But going to New Orleans isn't any different than going to DC, or LA, or any other big city that has high crime. Tourists need to be smart and safety-conscious wherever they go.

I'm so glad to know she will be well taken care of. My friend may have overstated the danger there. I grew up in L.A. county and I know the dangers of being there and how you need to know where you can and can not go. Now that I live in the quiet peaceful midwest the thought of going to a big city makes me nervous. lol I am so in the middle of nowhere that I drive 25 miles to work and the first half are country roads and most of the time I never see another car until I get on the highway. I love it out here.

Have a great time. I look forward to a pic or two... tastefully done of all participants in this trip having a genteel afternoon tea.

erm.... right.

KW is right. As long as you are with someone who is familiar with the area and have common sense, you will be fine. Same thing in Baton Rouge, where I live. Katrina did seem to make the criminals crazier and crime is through the roof, but it's not dangerous everywhere. The French Quarter is great as long as you don't deviate from the populated areas. KW knows, so I have no doubt that Anjel will be in good hands! Y'all drink a few for me!! lol

I'm so glad to know she will be well taken care of. My friend may have overstated the danger there.

No I don't think she did. JMO.

No, the danger isn't overstated - if you're black and plan on dealing drugs on the corner. JMO. :mad:

My husband and I frequently walk all around the Quarter. We walk from our home in Bywater (Upper 9th Ward) into the FQ, at night (about 10 blocks). We walk all around our neighborhood - at night. I left the windows down on my brand new Rav4 (loaded) accidentally overnight recently... nothing happened, nothing was taken. I leave things out on my porch (including my camera one night!), they're fine. We haven't been mugged, raped, shot, burgled, or thieved in any manner. Will we ever? Possibly... but that could happen anywhere, even in the smallest, safest town. Freaks and criminals are everywhere.

Are we cautious? Absolutely. But neither are we shivering in fear in our home. People who aren't from New Orleans, or who don't live in New Orleans, fail to realize that while we DO have huge issues with violent crime, that said violent crime is relegated mostly to areas with a high minority population where drugs are rampant. Our crime is also nearly comparable to that found in other major metropolitan areas. It seems much worse because the statistics post-Katrina are terribly skewed. Of course crime is 100% more than it was 2 years ago - NO ONE WAS HERE!!

I am by no means downplaying the crime issue in New Orleans. It's bad and it's a huge problem that needs to be solved. However, coming here is all about common sense, truly. If you want to get shot, then go deal some drugs on a corner in Central City. Walking around the touristy areas of our city doesn't get you that - at least it doesn't any more than it would anywhere else. Our city desperately needs the dollars that tourism provides, and to scare these potential visitors into possibly not coming to our city is showing total ignorance of all of the facts and the good that New Orleans has to offer - especially by people who do not live here and experience New Orleans every day.

Despite her shortcomings, crime, political incorrectness, and slow-mending devastation, New Orleans remains an infinitely cooler place to live than anywhere else in the world.

:alright: Don't worry we trust your judgment! :D Not that I think anyone would want to try and harm two women that are frolicking in graveyards and chattin' up Mary!:shock:

Besides I will be the one who is RESPONSIBLE

Yes, you will be responsible... especially if I wind up in JAIL!! LMAO...

Seriously... you'd be fine here, even without me. You have brains and know to travel cautiously. :D

No, the danger isn't overstated - if you're black and plan on dealing drugs on the corner. JMO. :mad:

My husband and I frequently walk all around the Quarter. We walk from our home in Bywater (Upper 9th Ward) into the FQ, at night (about 10 blocks). We walk all around our neighborhood - at night. I left the windows down on my brand new Rav4 (loaded) accidentally overnight recently... nothing happened, nothing was taken. I leave things out on my porch (including my camera one night!), they're fine. We haven't been mugged, raped, shot, burgled, or thieved in any manner. Will we ever? Possibly... but that could happen anywhere, even in the smallest, safest town. Freaks and criminals are everywhere.

Are we cautious? Absolutely. But neither are we shivering in fear in our home. People who aren't from New Orleans, or who don't live in New Orleans, fail to realize that while we DO have huge issues with violent crime, that said violent crime is relegated mostly to areas with a high minority population where drugs are rampant. Our crime is also nearly comparable to that found in other major metropolitan areas. It seems much worse because the statistics post-Katrina are terribly skewed. Of course crime is 100% more than it was 2 years ago - NO ONE WAS HERE!!

I am by no means downplaying the crime issue in New Orleans. It's bad and it's a huge problem that needs to be solved. However, coming here is all about common sense, truly. If you want to get shot, then go deal some drugs on a corner in Central City. Walking around the touristy areas of our city doesn't get you that - at least it doesn't any more than it would anywhere else. Our city desperately needs the dollars that tourism provides, and to scare these potential visitors into possibly not coming to our city is showing total ignorance of all of the facts and the good that New Orleans has to offer - especially by people who do not live here and experience New Orleans every day.

Despite her shortcomings, crime, political incorrectness, and slow-mending devastation, New Orleans remains an infinitely cooler place to live than anywhere else in the world.

I'll second that! I hope I didn't come across as putting New Orleans down. Like I said the crime here in BR is just as bad but like NO, it is just in the impoverished drug- infested black areas. For the record, New Orleans really does have a very cool culture and is obviously so much fun to visit. That is why so many tourists come from all over. I think in the next few years we will see an influx of tourists since more of the city will be re-built. Don't worry, KW, my SIL is working on that. She works for the Dept. of Tourism for LA. And once again, I hope I didn't offend you.:hugs:

I don't blame you Kw...I don't live there and I tend to get alittle prickly when people tend to hop on that area.

I think I get prickly becauser one for the devestating hurricane that NOLA is still trying to overcome and also I just feel really connected there.

Archived