Fae

greenbeans

I'm sure you've all read the myths and legends about the various Fae- leprechauns, sidhe, brownies etc. Does anyone here believe in them though?

Me, I've never 'seen' a faery properly. Yet I believe in them.

I believe they exist as beings just beyond normal perception. I'm not sensitive enough to have seen the Gentry...but I have sometimes seen something in the corner of my eye that dissappears when I try to look straight at it.

I just know some of you will also have felt the Fae energy in nature- that sense of a non-human spirit - on the open moor, the dark woodland, even the weed-strewn alleyway in a city. Occassionally on a misty day I have had the feeling I was about to stray into Faery, although I haven't yet! I'm sure you are aware the wilder Good Folk can be vampiric and very dangerous, so just as well I suppose!

As for more domesticated Fae...I think there are 1 or 2 'little people' in our scruffy 100 year old terraced house..My cat often freaks out at something that 'isn't there', just stares at the spot in midair and goes crazy! Lost keys, taps turned on by 'no-one', odd noises, overcooked soup...all manner of chaos that could be attributed to the mischevious Fae.

I have always been fascinated by Brownies, those house-spirits who will do the housework for just a little milk and bread. But have failed to attract one so far! Maybe its 'cos I don't have a real hearth....maybe my house is just TOO messy!

Does anyone else have any Faery experiences/beliefs to share? Can the Fae be worked with or are they too chaotic? Or don't believe and am I crazy!? (you won't be the first to think so!)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and here's me thinking I had searched for a fae thread! Not very well it seems!

Sounds a LOT like my possible house-fae. I just never used the word 'imp' before...I guess it is a matter of terminology huh?

ta!

I think they all fall under elementals. I know that gnomes are elementals of the earth. Undines (when I first read that I thought it said "undies":shock:) are of the water, slyphs are of the air, and salamanders are of the fire element. That being said, Fae or fairies would fall into the water or the air element. That would also partially explain dragons looking like large salamanders. At least to me it does. So I suppose the fae would be whatever elements are most preveilent in your area. Perhaps also the name for brownies came because of their connection to the earth.

I hope I am making sense and not rambling...:smash:

I think Fae/Faery can be a sort of 'catch-all' name for all non-human spirits including leprechauns, gnomes etc

Then again it can just mean air elementals (wingy-thingies!) as Sara said.

As for Imps...its not a term I'm very familiar with so I looked it up...

My Spirit encyclopedia says they are 'little devils' the offspring or offshoots of the Devil (though more mischevious than evil). There's also the story of the Lincoln Imp, sent by Satan to wreck havoc on Lincoln cathedral but turned to stone by an angel. (and is now a gargoyle)

Poor little guy!;)

I suppose Imps could be a type of Fae...they're definitely all naughty l'il spirits it just seems christians have gotten hold of the word 'imp', puts me off using it a bit I suppose.

I do believe they exist and, like many others here, that I've had dealings with them.

When I was a child, I believed I was one of them, given to my family to be hidden amongst the humans. Perhaps it was just wishful thinking, but I'm still not entirely convinced I was wrong. (Meet my family, you'll understand.)

I do believe they exist and, like many others here, that I've had dealings with them.

When I was a child, I believed I was one of them, given to my family to be hidden amongst the humans. Perhaps it was just wishful thinking, but I'm still not entirely convinced I was wrong. (Meet my family, you'll understand.)

That would make you a changeling!! :)

Green beans , Get some gargoyles , put them in your garden .name them and put a bit of gold {looking stuff} around their neck {reliably informed by a local romany that they go for that in a big way } and watch what happens.......just get a key hook first

So far I have rex , ozymandius , norbert the nose , dillinger the puking monk , beastius the nose picking monk of little piddletrenthide , henriette the flying hippo , balthazar and greenich the winking green man .

That would make you a changeling!! :)

Yes, it would. :shock:

Keep in mind, to the best of my knowledge, I didn't hear the legends until I was much older, so have no idea where this idea originally came from.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll try my best , I'm waiting for a nice frosty morning to show my little darlings to their best advantage ! hmmm I think maybe going into where that idea came from may be a difficult journey !:(

I 'see' all kinds of spirits from the otherworld. I always have, ever since I can remember.

One particularly vivid memory is from back when I was about four or five years old. I saw a 'faery' (at least that is what I assume she was), sort of sitting up in the little nook where the corner of the walls meet the ceiling. She was about 30cm (1 foot) tall and she looked as though she were made of 'living light'. She was the most beautiful thing I have EVER seen.

StarChilde

I beleive in them. I also agree with Sara that they fall under elemental catagories. My girls used to see them a lot when they were young. They even had fairy bells and would ring them when they wanted to play. We would play music and they would all dance. I could not see them, but they could and I watched them interact with them. The girls have left that behind and no longer want any part of it. They are teens and say I am crazy now. That falls into that social pressure topic on another thread. Anyway, I have seen something myself as a child that makes me wonder if it was a fae. He was about the size of a barbie doll. Maybe a little taller. I was sitting on my mothers bed when I saw him peeking out of her closet that was cracked open. He looked like a normal man except small. I watched him and he looked around cautiously then stepped out. As son as I sighed and he saw me, he ran back in. Do you think I was imagining, or is there such a thing? Also as an adult, I have seen lights fly around rooms. They are small like those lazer things. they zip around the room real fast. then poof their gone. Could that be a fae also?

Rebie

Probably the little man sounds like an elemental of some sort but the lights are spirit orbs. I have them alot in my house and they are really very fast and can bend at right angles :) .. other times they just hang there :) .. next time talk to them :)

Thank you Sandy. I thought the lights were some sort of spirit, but then I read some stuff about fae and lights. I just wondered. I have never seen anything like that little man again. That was really something to see.

Rebie

You are right, fae can also be lights, but in your home I would more suggest this is more of a spirit. Most elementals tend to stay outside near woods, rivers, streams etc and may appear more glowing rather than whizzing.

That is only in my experience though - other people may have other experiences and views :)

I only believe in nature spirits. That is, the 'energy' forms, if you like, of earth realm nature.

In my ways, we don't ascribe human personality traits to nature - such as cheeky or similar traits often ascribed to fae or imps, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I have faes here all the time. When you make friends with them, they treat you nicely, but they do love to move things. One thing I learned is not to say thank you for a gift they have left you, to them its rude, just say something like I really appreciate the gift and will take good care of it. So this way we are at an understanding. My 1 dog sees them all the time, inside and outside. Chases them like a cat would. When I see him looking up after running around, I know where they ended up trying to hide from him. :cloud9:

Guest Slinky_Fox

I've always kinda understood that whole not saying thank you thing, it also bothers me sometimes when someone says thank you but you can tell that they really don't care much , or when someone you are already very close to says thank you so formally and stuff.

What gifts have you left you Morgana?

I have faes here all the time. When you make friends with them, they treat you nicely, but they do love to move things. One thing I learned is not to say thank you for a gift they have left you, to them its rude, just say something like I really appreciate the gift and will take good care of it. So this way we are at an understanding. My 1 dog sees them all the time, inside and outside. Chases them like a cat would. When I see him looking up after running around, I know where they ended up trying to hide from him. :cloud9:

I have understood this as well. I have them in and about my place...it's a wonder my neighbors haven't committed me yet after hearing me yell "Alright you little buggars...gimme back my shit before I hex your tiny asses off!

I like the wild Folk. We're kind of kindred spirits, and we respect each other. They actually played a major role in leading me to the pagan path (or at least to formally seek it out). I've never physically seen them beyond glowing orbs, flashes of light, or glimpses out of the corner of the eye, but I feel them often.

Last spring, I went on a walk to commune with the fae. I just followed wherever they "pulled" me. After a while I got thirsty, so they led me up a hill where I found an old tree that had a bowl shaped depression with clean water in it. I knew that taking food or water from the fae was a no-no, but I decided to take it in good faith. What the hell.

I walked further, sometimes closing my eyes as I walked to better feel the spirits around me. It was such a beautiful day. Suddenly, something felt... different, like crossing a boundary. I opened my eyes, and saw that I was standing inside a large fairy ring. My first thought was "they tried to trap me!" but it was nothing sinister. I felt them more strongly that day than I ever have before or since. I just sat in the middle of the ring of mushrooms with my eyes closed, listening and talking to them as I felt them flit around me and playing with my hair. It was pure joy.

It's true, sometimes items go missing around here, but when I ask for it back, they either lead me straight to the object or it turns up within a short time (usually where I already looked. Grrr). Even so, I don't mind having them around. I like their company, and I actually think I understand them better than I understand most humans. lol Fae and witches do seem to work well together, for the most part. You don't want to piss off a fae, but you don't want to piss off a witch, either. ;)

Archived