Zombies

Dark Phoenix

Hello again!!!

Zombies--Everyone knows the Hollywood version of these monster but where did the legend of the living dead truly come from? I have always been lead to believe their roots lay with Voodoo/Hoodoo. Is this true?

Joe :cool:

Yes it is true. Especially in Haiti. The movie "The Serpent and The Rainbow" was actually based on Dr. Davis experience in Haiti.

I won't go into details about the powder but I can tell you it is a mixture of herbs/roots/animals.

The term "Zombie" is often referred to those who have been given this powder...renduring them paralyised basically.

I have that recipe too (thanks anjel), its got some really interesting things in there :) .. Im guessing that if the person doesnt actually die from it, they wont recover either?

I thought the film the serpent and the rainbow was horrible.

My husband has been studying zombies a LOT, as he used them in his artwork for a period of time. He says that the creation/belief/fear of zombies stems from slavery. I can't remember everything he said to me about it right now, but when I get a good answer from him I'll post it on here!

Anjel is very correct, that real zombies are from Voodoo. They were people who never actually died, but were given something to appear dead. They would have a proper funeral and everyone would mourn. Then the practitioner would dig them up (in secret of course) and keep drugging them so they would be his/her slave.

I thought the film the serpent and the rainbow was horrible.

My husband has been studying zombies a LOT, as he used them in his artwork for a period of time. He says that the creation/belief/fear of zombies stems from slavery. I can't remember everything he said to me about it right now, but when I get a good answer from him I'll post it on here!

Anjel is very correct, that real zombies are from Voodoo. They were people who never actually died, but were given something to appear dead. They would have a proper funeral and everyone would mourn. Then the practitioner would dig them up (in secret of course) and keep drugging them so they would be his/her slave.

Yes this is correct.

I can check out grimoires myself and if I catch you in a grimoire (especially Anjel's grimoires), I'm going to give you power alright - Deevil type :patsch:

I can check out grimoires myself and if I catch you in a grimoire (especially Anjel's grimoires), I'm going to give you power alright - Deevil type :patsch:

LOL! Im innocent I tell ya! ;) :rolleyes: :cool:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest finyacluck

i have heard of this haitian 'custom', and have always wondered, do they use the powder on the victim before or after they are buried, i assume its before, or may-be im way off the mark, and also why? whats the point behind it?

The powder can be put on a blow dart. Shot at the person. Then within about 10-20 minutes they will look dead. Their vitals will not show up and they would be buried. (think Romeo and Juliet only worse) After a couple of days (I think three) the bokor will dig them up and give them a second potion/ powder. The person is what I would consider comatose yet able to walk around. There is a way to "save" the person but that just means that they will die. The point is for the bokor to have a slave.

LOL stand down a bit there dp...LOL!!!! j/k LOL!!!

Yeah my mother listed ways to use powders and trust me...the list I put together from how did would use them actually makes me cringe on a few LOL!!!

Here are a few of the calmer methods should would use:

1. Sprinkle on toothbrushes

2. Sprinkle on toiletpaer

3. Sprinkle in with food (spices)

She played hardball when it came to how she used her stuff LOL!!!

LOL! No youre right I should stand down...If not we may have be seeing the East Coast erupt with the living dead! lol

Archived