When divination systems test you

phantasmagoria

This is something I have been encountering in experience AND theory lately. It started last year, when the Thoth deck advised me up and down, clear as day, in my own readings AND others, to make a certain move, and it ended up being a torturous experience that has irreversibly changed the course of my life (in ways that I am praying will result inevitably in positive experience, but nevertheless, last year fucking sucked, bad). I ended up throwing the deck into a ditch. Yeah, I was pissed. Anyway, cut to this year. I've been exploring the I Ching, and the community, practice, and system around the Yi is quite different from Tarot, I find. 

I use James Dekorne's website on the Book of Changes (http://www.jamesdekorne.com/GBCh/GBCh.htm)  as a reference, as it is extremely comprehensive and insightful. I don't recall where on the site, on which hexagram, he explains this, but he writes something like (paraphrase) that "at certain points in The Work the oracle will intentionally make the opposite suggestion to what the querent should actually do." In other words, the [higher] Self (which Dekorne on yet another page explains is "more like the punishing Yahweh" than a compassionate guide) will "test" the querent, to see "how much a person will let the unconscious guide them" (another paraphrase). This is something that I have been racking my brain about lately. If we can't trust the Oracle to guide us, then what? Indeed, personally I admit that I have been relying on the oracle a bit too much, and also have failed to heed warnings given to me months ago, resulting in irretractable processes and life path. So, I've both become too reliant on the oracle, and also in resistance to its declarations. That's my personal issue, but it's led me to the overall inquiry of divination tools/oracles as being connections to some realm of consciousness that doesn't like to be played with or abused. The Yi even has a hexagram that is known to be its way of saying "stop asking/hounding/you're being naive." Sometimes when I ask too many times, that hexagram comes up. It's also known for spitting out nonsense or wrong answers if an answer has already been given. It's led me to question, well, if everything is always changing, then when is it OK to ask again?

Anyway, has anyone else had any experiences or been privy to any discussions about a divination system seemingly leading a person down the wrong path? One question I've been exposed to is basically, how much credence do we give to something other than our own intuition or impulse or logic or whatever we use, whether that brings good or ill?

I have not read my Thoth Deck in quite a while.  I was doing a lot of readings for my friends, they kept on asking the same questions, and the deck just kept giving the same answers . Then the deck just seemed to give up.  Just gave nonsensical answers.

Maybe I'll get it out again and ask it if it would like to talk to me again.  No friends involved.  Just shuffle it and handle it, get it attuned to the new me.

Last week I had a resident asking where one of the caregivers was. After the fourth time, I said that asking the question repeatedly, wouldn't change the answer. That sounds like what your deck was saying.