Creepy magic/ witchcraft/ witch books ?

NorwegianWitch

Hi all,

I'm on the hunt for scary books, kinda in the vein of The Conjuring universe. So no Harry Potter or funny stuff, the creepier and more accurate the better.

I've read many classics and do not find them very creepy, don't know why exactly, maybe such a book don't exist ? But I'm thankful for any suggestions and tips, reviews too 🙂

Anne Rice's Mayfair Witch series is phenomenal if you haven't read those already I highly recommend them.  And not witchcraft really, but Peter Straub writes some really creepy scary books - I would start with Ghost Story - still scares me to this day haha. Other than that, I would love to see what other people post because I love this genre too and there really isn't much out there for witches that is really scary.  Maybe I should write something 😉

• Like 1

I really liked the Anne Rice, vampire series, I will have to check out the Mayfair Witch series.  I wonder if I can get them at the local library.  Thanks for the tip!

• Like 2

Oh, this is funny, I googled the Anne Rice books and it turned out a friend of mine have been on the cover of one of the books. Must be destiny ! It sounds interesting, will check out. Thank you for the tip. 🙂

• Like 1

Oh wow that's cool!  Hope you enjoy them - she is such a brilliant author and the way she tells a story takes my breath away - you may fall down a rabbit hole of reading all her stuff after this be warned 😉

I find the incest in the Mayfair books to be just a taaddd too descriptive.. but it is a darker themed witch book with an adult target audience so I think you may enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

I still thumb through the Necronomicon I bought when I was in high school.  I remember when I got my Giger Necronomicon art book, it shed a whole new darkness upon an old classic.  I would read the verses into a cassette recorder (just dated myself) and try to pronounce the words perfectly, then play them back.  Of course this was done at midnight, outside with the necessary candles and incense.  This was done in all seriousness and solemnity, I was absolutely determined to become the most powerful sorcerer in this universe.  I remember scaring the shit out of myself more than once.  I swear one night I summoned Cthulu out of our irrigation pond. I still sometimes consider trying to foillow the rituals to see if anything would happen, but that's me, forever 13 years old...

Edited by Sagefire
Spelling
  • Like 1

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson is quite creepy and twisted - the narrator/main character is a sort of self-taught spontaneous folksy witch.

If you're open to comics, Emily Carroll draws superb stories inspired by folklore and steeped in witchcraft. Creepy and gorgeous.

Angela Carter's short fiction is inspired by fairy tales, many of them have witchy characters. Really ornate, atmospheric prose.

The King in Yellow is a bizarre novella / collection of short stories that brings fantasy and weird fiction together.

Carmilla is a great classic novella about a (very witchy) vampire haunting a young woman.

Wild card but Prosper Mérimée (19th c French author) wrote tons of gothic short stories inspired by Corsican folklore so plenty of odd occurences, curses real or self-fulfilled etc. Very trad craft lol. George Sand did the same with the Center of France but hers are a lot less creepier; same with Alphonse Daudet and Provence in the South (his can be pretty creepy).