Purchased Art

Phagos

This isn't about personal art but I'll post it in this section anyway. One of the other mods can spank me later if they deem the position incorrect.

I'm doing a bit of market research and wondered if you lovely folks could share with me what witchy/occult/horror/gothic themed artwork you have purchased and have displayed at home?

If you could upload a photo of them or simply describe them, it would be a massive help.

I'm looking to take my art to the next step and want to get an idea of styles etc that people purchase, in an attempt to make more commercial pieces.

Thanks in advance,

Phagos

I have never purchased any occult art, personally I make my own, but check out Pinterest there is lots to look at there.  Just search Occult Art.  Visionary art,  You will find everything from the ridiculous to the sublime.

I would love to see your art.  There is also Deviant Art, its a site to sell your art on.

15 minutes ago, Onyx said:

I have never purchased any occult art, personally I make my own, but check out Pinterest there is lots to look at there.  Just search Occult Art.  Visionary art,  You will find everything from the ridiculous to the sublime.

I would love to see your art.  There is also Deviant Art, its a site to sell your art on.

Thanks Onyx, yea there's a lot of artwork out there, but I'm interested in what people actually buy and display on their walls.

I'm building up a bit of a portfolio at the moment, but I intend to share some here soon.

The very few art pieces I've ever bought from a creator (and not a yard sale etc), I did because they were so personal? Like this reimagining of the Magician (the tarot card). So idk I'm unsure how well a small scale creator can perform business-wise by creating with commerce in mind... I think the "commercial" pieces work when you have the apparatus to convince people that's what they want; otherwise that's where commerce comes in, at the marketing stage. But from the very inception of a piece... idk. There are tropes that sell reliably I'm sure, like reimaginings of tarot cards lol, but see, this trope usually bores me to death, it really is my personal history and this creator's niche* take that inspire me in this piece, and ultimately made me buy it.

I'm sure you've thought this through though, maybe you're wrestling with these very points - truly I don't know what I'm talking about anyway haha

* it's not the right word here, it makes it seem like an algorithm-generated cheap trick to appeal to a minor marketing profile ugh commerce is inescapable I guess.......

By commercial I simply mean artwork to sell. Not making art solely for the purpose of money. I see stunning and beautiful pieces of art all the time, by people with talent far beyond my own and as much as I enjoy looking at them, I wouldn't purchase them and have them on my wall. This is why I'm interested in seeing the types of artwork people here have purchased, as people who like the dark and mysterious are my target. I have a good idea already as I have looked at this for a while now, but I wanted to pose the question here.

I did a couple of animal portraits a couple of years ago, here's one of them...

InkedHusky - Copy_LI.jpg

These got me 5 or 6 pet portrait commissions. But something like this takes me an average of 20-30hours, if I charge a proper hourly rate then it is far too expensive. So although what I charge is reasonable it still only pays me around £4 an hour. Which if I were trying to make a living on, well, I couldn't.

I was asked to draw a Simpson's style family portrait, which was something I had never done, but gave it a go. It didn't take me too long, far less time to the realism pieces I had been doing and within a month I had more commissions than I had for over a year. Which lead me to think that people want something that's fun, simple, personal, fits in with their interior and doesn't hurt their wallet too much. So although I will still be making art that I enjoy and love, I also want to make art that will appeal to more people, artwork that can be sold as prints.

Pricing is a big problem for most artists.   If you use a pricing formula, cost of materials, time, framing, and then the commission to the store selling it.  The price can get huge especially with some stores charging up to 60% in commissions.

I did find one store that said they charge 20% commission.  there are not many that will do that.

I love your Husky, he is beautiful!  

Don't be afraid to price your art properly! I seriously cannot stress that enough. You should, need, and you definitely are allowed to get a real, proper payment for your work, and making art is work just the same as anything else. I say this because I work at a local Artist's Association, and the pricing issue is constantly brought up - as is the fact that artists just don't tend to get paid. "You'll get visibility!" people say all the time, refusing to pay. "People will see your work and more people will buy it!" Yeah, sure; if just one person actually pays for it, that would be nice.

I recently bought this piece of art from a local artist (Rosa Kansala), after her first art exhibition. I paid 350 euros, and it most certainly wasn't too much! Not witchy/occult/horror/gothic themed, obviously, and the picture isn't too great, but I put it in just because of the never-ending pricing issue.

IMG_3836.thumb.JPG.e55e7ba851958fdfbf64d81df0b2decd.JPG

If there are any associations for artists where you live, I recommend looking them up. They might offer options for places to sell your works at. Our local association runs an art lending/sales store, with a web-store included, and offers payment plans for customers, so that practically anyone can purchase art without it hurting their wallet too much. That really helps with the pricing.

• Upvote 2

On 4/27/2021 at 7:18 PM, Onyx said:

I love your Husky, he is beautiful!  

Thanks Onyx! 😁

And yes, pricing your art is very tricky. I almost feel bad asking for payment. But I have a set price now, which seems reasonable, at the moment anyway. If I ever become in demand then I'll review my prices. With pieces I'm working on I plan to sell some as prints and then do a one off original with a higher pricer tag. I'll be mainly selling online. There are a couple of pop up galleries from time to time for local artists in my area. With what I'm working on though I wish to remain anonymous, going under the name Phagos, as I'm known here.

I purchased a print of this (see Pinterest link.) I’d assume for most artists prints are where the money is? They only spend the time to make the art once but then get paid for every print or digital copy sold.  Having not tried to sell prints myself I may be missing an aspect of why this wouldn’t be as good a use of your time as I’m assuming it would be. I get for the buyer it’s not the same as owning an original piece- but if they want an original piece- they get to pay a proper penny for that!

https://pin.it/6Z1unhG