The Hunter's Moon/Blood Moon

Guest Dee

Tomorrow begins the waxing of the hunter's moon or blood moon. According to several traditions, including what I know of my german one, it is the time to check your safety lines and make sure all is well in preparation for the for the full moon which will occur this year on 10/26/2007 at approx 1:00 a.m. edt. I was very curious about the full moon being so close to Samhain this year. I was unable to find any information about a recent hunter's moon being full this close in recent years.

I am curious as to what others have to say about ths moon phase. The only thing I have noticed is that non-magicals around me seem to be going unusually nutty the last few days. Anyone know of any connection there?

Tomorrow begins the waxing of the hunter's moon or blood moon. According to several traditions, including what I know of my german one, it is the time to check your safety lines and make sure all is well in preparation for the for the full moon which will occur this year on 10/26/2007 at approx 1:00 a.m. edt. I was very curious about the full moon being so close to Samhain this year. I was unable to find any information about a recent hunter's moon being full this close in recent years.

I am curious as to what others have to say about ths moon phase. The only thing I have noticed is that non-magicals around me seem to be going unusually nutty the last few days. Anyone know of any connection there?

I have always called it "Blood moon" myself (it is also called Harvest Moon, Falling Leaf Moon, and Shedding Moon as well).

According to what I have always known, this moon marks the season for when domestic animals were/are sacrificed for the winter.

This is also when the sun is at it's lowest.

My oldest daughter, Krystle was born on October 25th and she will be home with me on her birthday.

I am sure we will do something extra special for this one :)

Yes I understand that...Septembers moon also goes by Wine Moon, Singing Moon, Moon Where Deer pawed the Earth.

Whatever path and/or custom you are looking at...you are sure to find numerous and/or similar names for the monthly moons :)

Still on my search lol. I did find something interesting about various names of the moons. Here's a link:

http://home.ptd.net/~myth1313/bosmoonames.html

This is some info that I found but it really was not in one particular page so I pulled it together. Sorry can't attribute the credit to the posters since it came from different sources.

From what I found, in the Pagan/Celtic lunar calendar, the full moon of the month of October is known as the Hunter's Moon. After the end of the breeding season, and before the severe winter weather that would kill off many of these creatures anyway, large numbers of hare, deer, wild boar and various game birds were taken for the pot, once again for the purposes of supplementing what might otherwise be a rather meagre winter diet.

With all this death around, it is not surprising that people's thoughts turned to human death, and Samhain is a celebration of death.

Because of the hunting involved during this moon time, it was also called the "blood moon".

If I come up with anything on my wild moon chase, I will post it for you all.

In Heathenry, October's moon is called the Winter Moon. Basically, this full moon is the sign of the end of summer/beginning of winter. Our "Blood Moon" is in November (Blotmonath) Blood Month. That's when the sacrifices would happen.

October is the Slaughter Moon here, if you go by the old scandinavian names of the months. I think Snow is talking about Asatru..? Which would be the same thing. But I dont know which is right, like Anjel said, different names everywhere. On my list November is called Winter month.

Ive seen another more modern list aswell said to be scandinavian, which I believe to be a newage-mix of english, pagan and colonial. On that one October is the Hunter's moon or Blood moon. But its good that you write what month you mean aswell so noone gets confused. :rolleyes:

For me some names dont really work, like "Falling leaf moon" since the leaves dropped off the trees nearly 2 months ago where im from, and its snowing there now! :)

Anyway, cool with a full moon that close. Ive wanted to go for a night-walk under the full moon all summer, but i havn't had time, definetly gonna do that this month. :)

Hunters or blood moon makes most sense....most folk in this part of the world would have been laying down store meats etc for the winter. Especially deer up here, the rut will be over by the end of the month and the older stags and hinds picked off for the pot.

Vitter. Yeah, Asatru and Scandinavians should be running on the same calendar I believe..... But I was speaking on the Anglo-Saxon end of it, not Asatru in particular. Perhaps I have my facts mixed up! As that's entirely possible! I'll do a little bit more reading, but I think that's where the Anglos stood/stand on that... NOT SURE

So would Winterfylleth and Blotmonath be switched in Scandinavian calendar??

like October=Blotmonath and

November-Winterfylleth?

I don't know, I thought the term came from slaughtering animals in the winter as a sacrifice and to sustain over the cold months. For some reason it seems to me that it would more likely occur in November, as it's not cold enough here yet. I would imagine you would want to wait until the last moments to slaughter them all... hmmm, interesting...

Archived