Scottish Tradition

JohnMac

This site is quite new, I thought it may be of use to those of you who are interested in the Scottish Tradition I myself follow. ( As an aside,  at present, I am visiting and restoring an old Ritual Well near to my home called The Watchman, dating  from the 17 th C. ....might make an interesting thread !

https://cailleachs-herbarium.com/category/folk-practioner/witchcraft/

• Like 1

I'm always interested in Scottish Folklore, I have a quick look at your Site, it looks very interesting.  I will return to it again.  My Grandad lived in Broughy ferry and I have many fond memories of the area.  I for one would be interested in the well restoration, I think it would be worth a post with photos of course.  Good Luck with that project.

Very interesting site, I hope it continues to grow into the great resource it can become. I'll read through some of the articles when I have more time, I'll probably have questions!

On 2/25/2021 at 4:46 AM, JohnMac said:

This site is quite new, I thought it may be of use to those of you who are interested in the Scottish Tradition I myself follow. ( As an aside,  at present, I am visiting and restoring an old Ritual Well near to my home called The Watchman, dating  from the 17 th C. ....might make an interesting thread !

https://cailleachs-herbarium.com/category/folk-practioner/witchcraft/

Very interesting site! I will peruse it in more depth as time allows.

Actually turning your hand to restore your heritage is more than admirable and certainly counts above merely throwing cash and good intentions at those things that need to be preserved.  I have a feeling that The Watchman will play a substantial role in the personal journeys of many seekers.   I hope that your personal rewards in this endeavor are equally great.  Applause and much appreciation to you sir.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a very intriguing site. I want to spend some time there, when it comes to pass that my hair isn't on fire. We've been doing creative staffing 101 at work. I want to be able to focus when I start exploring.

• 4 months later...

this is brilliant! thanks for sharing that.

I'm re-reading Marian McNeill's book the Silver Bough, not completely on witchcraft but a brilliant historical intro.

for some reason I keep forgetting that the internet exists and go round lamenting that I can never find any good books on this stuff. I have no idea why I do this. . . . age maybe?? or a predilection for the smell of ink and paper? thanks again 

• 2 weeks later...

Additionally, anyone interested in the Scottish Tradition might like to read ‘ The Black Book of Isobel Gowdie’ and for a collection of folk magic charms etc ‘ The Carmina Gaedelica’ by Alexander Carmichael.

9 hours ago, JohnMac said:

. . .for a collection of folk magic charms etc ‘ The Carmina Gaedelica’ by Alexander Carmichael.

I love these. . .i recited one as part of my handfasting vows.   . .had to do it in both gàidhlig n english as there was only one other gàidhlig speaker there. . . .but the gàidhlig came first 🤘

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2021 at 6:18 PM, JohnMac said:

Additionally, anyone interested in the Scottish Tradition might like to read ‘ The Black Book of Isobel Gowdie’ and for a collection of folk magic charms etc ‘ The Carmina Gaedelica’ by Alexander Carmichael.

Duly noted! Have you read Michael Howard's Scottish Witches and Warlocks? He's a writer I thoroughly enjoy for his approachable tone, sincerity and breadth of interest but I don't know enough to judge his scholarship. Interested in your opinion.

Yes, I have in fact read a bit of Howard. A good introduction to the Scottish lore, so too is ‘Scottish Witchcraft’ by Barbara Meiklejohn-Free

Edited by JohnMac