It’s Halloween again, and the discussion of cultural misappropriation has flooded my social media. 

I don’t want to spark a controversial topic that creates drama. I do desire to hear the opinions of others about witch costumes. I found one in particular, a “Salem” witch costume, that does offend me a bit. Because it is never okay to dress as a persecuted person... much less those who are murdered. 

Thoughts?  

99E66B93-A750-4943-95E3-F430D012D815.png

I have attended Comic Con in Denver dressed as Professor Mcgonagall.  I even had my picture in Westworld.  But I was portraying a fictional character.  There's a difference between that and portraying poorly, someone who was persecuted for existing.  I think the people of Salem got a lot of things very wrong.

One year I dressed up as a "Beaten Belle" (a la Beauty and the Beast). Halloween is a gory holiday, and people apply bruises, blood, guts, warts, etc as part of costuming, but my intention was more political: to show the (oft) hidden dark side of that fairy tale, while also practicing self-empowerment as a masochist (something I have spent a lot of work on healing, and to continually positive results, and I actually attribute a lot of that healing to my being "out" with that issue). I've had other "politicalized" costumes besides. But they were all completely unique and custom or at least modified, not mass-produced.

I think the "Salem 1692" costume is really tacky. It's mass-produced, first of all. No heart or soul in it at all. That's fine if it's something silly like a cat or whatever, but mass-producing political statements (and this one actually undermines our political issues, because witches aren't even persecuted in Salem anymore, but ARE in other places) just always chafes my mind in a way that isn't pleasant. It's low-grade. I wouldn't respect a witch or a non-witch who I saw wearing that. I'd feel embarrassed for both, for totally different reasons. It's a real "head-desker" if you know what I mean.

Edited by phantasmagoria

I do find that costume offensive, for the simple reason that women died, just because they were different, or someone did'nt like them or wanted their land.  Plus, the way they were killed, nobody could live through a Witch Trail.  They were rigged!  It was murder, plain and simple!

• Like 1

In my opinion every witch is artistic and she can make her costume herself, unique one and even different each year. 

We used to go to a Halloween party held by the Rugby club.  Everyone made their own costumes and  the best  were totally original, and hand made, not just a slutty pirate  wench, out of a plastic bag.

I agree. I wouldn't want to wear the costume at the top because of the history attached to it, it makes me feel sick just thinking about it.

I just think that in my opinion, most trad Witches don't have to wear a costume for Halloween, because they 'are a Witch' all year round.  

It's nice to see the little'uns dress up though.....it fires their imaginations.

Wow that witch costume is truly offensive... and I don't usually get offended by these things LOL. Not sure what else I could say that hasn't already been said. I just dress like myself, which basically means I dress like everyone else. I pretty much live in jeans and flannel haha

My entire wardrobe is in basic black, everything matches!

• Like 1