Vegetarian Autumn Recipes

TobaccoFlower

This year I'll be celebrating the autumnal equinox with these delightful recipes:

Corn Chowder: 

2-3 Tbsp olive oil

1/2 large white onion

2 cloves minced garlic (or like, way more)

4 small red potatoes, chopped

3-4 fresh ears sweet corn, kernels stripped off

2 cups  veggie broth

2 cups  milk/nut milk/etc

Chopped green onions 

Secret ingredient - just a pinch of nutmeg. 

Saute onions, garlic, potatoes, and corn in olive oil until gently browned/onions translucent and everything is smelling toasty. Add wet ingredients and cook for at least 20 minutes at a simmer (longer = better). Salt and pepper to taste, don't forget to garnish!

Baked Streusel Stuffed Apples

4 apples (1 apple per person, change recipe accordingly)

1 cup oats

1/2 cup almond flour

2/3 cup dark brown sugar

2 tbsp honey

Spices - I like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, to taste

1 stick butter, cold and diced into small pieces

2 tbsp raisins

2 tbsp extra butter for saute

Mix dry ingredients with butter pieces until crumbly, then store in fridge until ready. Saute raisins gently until they are plumb, allow them to cool. Cut apples flat so they stand up in a pan, then gently core the seeds (don't cut through the bottom, you're basically making apple cups). Spoon in 1 tbsp or so of plump raisins into the core (you can also add honey). Fill the rest of the core with your spiced oat mixture. Baked at 350 for 40 mins or until brown and crispy. Core will be very hot!

Serve with spicebush tea by adding crushed spicebush berries to hot water and steep. Mmmm!

Sounds great!  I'll be right over... Where do you live?

I made Tomato Soup for the first time, it was awesome.

I have no real recipe, I just winged it.

Blanch and remove skins and cores of Tomatos, throw them in a big pot and start to heat.

Add a large onion, chopped,  a clove of Garlic , four chopped Carrots and one carton of Chicken Broth.

Cook for about an hour and then blend with hand blender (wand type)  Season to taste, add a small carton of whipping cream.

I used yellow tomatoes, so the color was quite pale, I could of added a beet for color.

Basicly, add what you like!

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest PsychicThreads

Yummy I will make some for my husband.

I like to do a crock pot apple cider.

You will need :

Apple cider juice

oranges

cinnamon sticks

cheese cloth (to make spice sachet)the following spices go in:

-cloves

-allspice

-ginger

Throw in crock pot at the low setting and let it sit for 2-3 hours add vanilla or honey whiskey if you want a stiff hot drink.

I cook vegetarian in my kitchen but for now I cannot think of anything besides drinks

New recipes are always welcome at this time of the year.  I will use any excuse to dive into the harvest bounty from the local farms.  I am now ready to begin baking pumpkin pies from my 300 year old recipe!  I actually bake real pumpkins for these instead of using canned puree.  They are delicious.  The secret is in the dark rum used in the batter and the maple syrup icing drizzle😆

Guest PsychicThreads

I love baking with real pumpkins I just steamed a fairy tale pumpkin I got a lot out of it too probably last me all season and well into winter. Many people in my town always ask me how to cook with real pumpkin they have no clue its kinda sad. Dark rum I am going to have to try that next. I just made a whole wheat pumpkin bread topped with pumpkin seed. All that sounds so yummy I am going to try that soon!