Sign in to follow this  
TobaccoFlower

Celebrating the Harvest in a Year of Darkness - Autumnal Equinox 2020

It is nearly autumn in the northern hemisphere. The sun fades and the dark swells, and for one brief moment we have balance - perfectly equal amounts of day and night. The last of the summer heat burns the grass and fruit hangs heavy. As the second harvest fast approaches, I find myself contemplating some things. Every equinox, I look back at the last season and consider what balance means to me at that time, what I've learned, and what I can look forward to as the wheel turns. 

This year has been...... wow. Dark. I never thought I'd spend a Virginian summer with a mask on, my "bubble" up, worrying about sickness and loss this much, and losing trust in being physically close to others, or fearing leaving my house to get basic necessities like groceries. And yet here I am in the season of Light, staving off the Dark.

But it's not all Dark. What I have reaped from this Light season? What is my harvest?

I still have a job. Another semester of grad school under my belt. A roof over my head. I haven't lost many people yet. My pets are happy. I have enough resources to sustain and also to give. I have exercised my adaptability, which is perhaps one of the most important skills a person should keep sharp. As a collective society, humans are currently in the midst of a great learning curve which, while it is incredibly painful and devastating right now, will be illuminating in the future....regardless of what happens now. These are all harvests, and should be appreciated as such.

So this year, I will be celebrating sustainability, perseverance, illumination, and of course, the ever-fleeting essence of life. I will give offerings to the spirits of my land and workplace to thank them for providing me shelter and a job, especially now, and ask that it may continue through the winter. I will also share my harvest with those in my community, since many are newly homeless and jobless, by donating to local food banks as much as I can. I will also be tipping my hat to the Darkness - this year is a reminder of just how powerful Darkness can be, and why it deserves our respect. Destruction is perhaps one of the most powerful forces of the universe and part of the inevitable cycle of our lives, even if we don't like or understand it. Growth always follows destruction, we must remember and cherish this now more than ever. 

Happy almost-Autumn Equinox! Tell me how you plan to celebrate this autumn equinox. What does it mean to you? What are your reflections? How will you empower yourself and others during these dark times? What have you lost? What have you gained? What connections have you made? How are you finding balance, in your life and craft? And are you wearing your damn MASK?

This autumn equinox I’m celebrating a new chapter in my life actually. I just recently finished a career training course preparing me for a career in medical coding which I chose instead of getting a bachelors degree. To me this autumn equinox represents an opportunity to end my “rest” (where I stayed home and studied) which is counterintuitive to the equinox I realize. I’ve been spending more time with my garden plants as they tell me their spiritual/magical uses and I strengthen my bond with them and plants we newly added this year (I’ve met some great plants this year!).

I guess me life isn’t balanced right now, I still have to begin this new career with a job that I hope this Covid will actually help me get. And yes I wear my mask lol if I go out but I try not to go out.

Edited by FancyShadowCat
Spelling

I have been painting and creating art all year, collecting driftwood, making signs aI have and making Magick.  I have been involved in my  "death to Covid" campaign.  By painting my little pictures, they keep me amused.  

I must admit that I stayed in isolation for most of the year until I had to go to a friends funeral just two days ago.  I'm on a contact list so finger's crossed I will be okay.  I did hug a few people, but no tongue!

Yes, Sanitizing and wearing my mask, all the time.

18 hours ago, FancyShadowCat said:

This autumn equinox I’m celebrating a new chapter in my life actually. I just recently finished a career training course preparing me for a career in medical coding which I chose instead of getting a bachelors degree. To me this autumn equinox represents an opportunity to end my “rest” (where I stayed home and studied) which is counterintuitive to the equinox I realize. I’ve been spending more time with my garden plants as they tell me their spiritual/magical uses and I strengthen my bond with them and plants we newly added this year (I’ve met some great plants this year!).

I guess me life isn’t balanced right now, I still have to begin this new career with a job that I hope this Covid will actually help me get. And yes I wear my mask lol if I go out but I try not to go out.

Good luck with the new career path. Indeed, now is a great time for medical jobs. The most available job in my area is contact tracing personnel - there are ads left and right for them.

I've actually been terrible about my garden this year. It's basically a garden for the animals at this point, I've just been so busy! But, they like it so it's fine I suppose. 

17 hours ago, Onyx said:

I have been painting and creating art all year, collecting driftwood, making signs aI have and making Magick.  I have been involved in my  "death to Covid" campaign.  By painting my little pictures, they keep me amused.  

I must admit that I stayed in isolation for most of the year until I had to go to a friends funeral just two days ago.  I'm on a contact list so finger's crossed I will be okay.  I did hug a few people, but no tongue!

Yes, Sanitizing and wearing my mask, all the time.

Good luck, that is a particularly unfortunate means to get on a contact list.

First off @Ravenshaw I love the way you wrote that. You would make a great creative writer 😉

Internally my balance of light and dark is still tipped to the darker side. I was reluctant to let go of the darker months from last year, as I find myself in a sombre part of my life, so I'm looking forward to them returning. The wheel keeps turning but I'm wanting to jump back. With everything that is going on maybe skipping the whole year wouldn't be such a bad thing. But then it's like you said, only from destruction can we truly grow.

I don't have anything planned for the equinox but maybe between now and then I will find more of a balance.

1 hour ago, Phagos said:

First off @Ravenshaw I love the way you wrote that. You would make a great creative writer 😉

Internally my balance of light and dark is still tipped to the darker side. I was reluctant to let go of the darker months from last year, as I find myself in a sombre part of my life, so I'm looking forward to them returning. The wheel keeps turning but I'm wanting to jump back. With everything that is going on maybe skipping the whole year wouldn't be such a bad thing. But then it's like you said, only from destruction can we truly grow.

I don't have anything planned for the equinox but maybe between now and then I will find more of a balance.

You're such a peach, dear. 😘

Yeah I don't mind the idea of sort of skipping a year. This year has felt like static, and the faster it gets behind me the happier I'll be. It's definitely been a good year for looking inward - I mean, fuck we don't really have a choice, do we? Can't bury ourselves in the excitement of fast paced fun with friends, group gatherings, holiday hooplah, and the like. So I guess inner work is one option we have.

In my less balanced years, I've used the equinox to reflect on how I got there and plan my next steps or do something mindful.

Yes, it does feel like a wasted year, I keep wanting to go places and we can't.  So yes, a lot of internal work on myself being done.  Lots of card reading, herb collecting, wand making and spell crafting.  Gotta stay a busy witch or I will get into trouble.

Autumnal Equinox Sept 22 this year.  I still have time to get it together.   Whip up a little thank you for all I got ritual,  I'm all ready starting to cut back the garden, save seeds, lots of Tomatoes to pick yet and a few more herbs to harvest.  Mint and Summer Savory.  Pretty soon it will be Halloween....Yes!

• Like 1

I started a new job right around the equinox, after not working for six months.  The facility I had been working for routinely didn't have adequate PPE.  It got worse when COVID hit, although they chose to downplay the severity.  I decided that being unemployed and alive was a better option than being unemployed and dead.  Especially since my grandkids would use my grandson's 3D printer to clone me.  Now I get to dress up in cheesy gowns and shoe covers.  I also get to pay my bills on time.

Sign in to follow this