FancyShadowCat

Hand gestures for magick

Hello all, there’s been a hand gesture on my mind that I cannot find lore or origins for, so I thought I’d make a thread for any useful hand gestures relevant to Magickal practice.

My body has a way of occasionally intuitively doing certain postures or gestures that have energetic significance. Such as, the touching of the tip of the tongue to the roof of the mouth behind the two front teeth while meditating or trying to sense energy.

So, I’ve found that when I imagine doing hexword or banework of a martial nature, my hands automatically move into a certain gesture where the middle and ring fingers rest on the tip of the thumb on both hands, while the index and pinkie are standing up. The hand looks somewhat like a horned animal. My hands do this instinctively when I am considering the projection of aggressive energies. I believe I’ve read of it being a European gesture but I cannot for the life of me remember where I read about it.

But, I can sense this gesture would be valuable for martial spells of an aggressive or fearsome nature. Would any of you kind witches and conjurers be able to help me find the proper origin and name of this Magickal gesture?

Posted (edited)

Wow. So it just occurred to me to google “Horned beast hand gesture” and according to humanhand.com, this general gesture is used as both a protection charm and a cursing gesture.. though the origins of the gesture aren’t examined.

I’d still like discuss any gestures you all may have encountered, or any lore you’ve read on this one... 

Edited by FancyShadowCat
Clarity

So I don't know much on this topic, well, F All really haha but my wife is a Yoga Teacher and when I was helping her study I came across Mudras. They are different hand positions you use when meditating. It sounds similar to what you're describing.

Anyway this graphic will explain it a lot better than I can...

f943c1f7643f26562a8eae68bcbfbc15--yoga-chakras-yoga-mudra.jpg.5ac5954959087f2bcef6b9e7bf9b9052.jpg

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Khundekling said:

So I don't know much on this topic, well, F All really haha but my wife is a Yoga Teacher and when I was helping her study I came across Mudras. They are different hand positions you use when meditating. It sounds similar to what you're describing.

Anyway this graphic will explain it a lot better than I can...

I see the Apan mudra was the one I was looking for, wherever I look this hand gesture has martial qualities associated with it, be it protection, hexing, or confidence. Thanks kundleking!

Edited by FancyShadowCat
Clarity

Mudras are designed to  complete an electrical curcuit  around the body, so that the energy stays in the body and is not lost.

Posted (edited)

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 2:44 PM, FancyShadowCat said:

there’s been a hand gesture on my mind that I cannot find lore or origins for,

The only knowledge of hand gestures I have is some of these on your chart are used by the esoteric  Fraternities/Societies . They use them to  communicate with each other. But they could also use them for magic.  Since some of the societies go way back to ancient Persia and Egypt,  I don't know just thinking, maybe the hand gestures origionated with ancient Eqyptian witchcraft?

6 hours ago, Onyx said:

Mudras are designed to  complete an electrical curcuit  around the body, so that the energy stays in the body and is not lost.

I might want to be careful and not use hand gestures....my problem lately has been retaining to much energy and not seeming to be able to send it out of me so that I am more comfortable LOL. My physical body energy can be low and I can be physically  tired etc. but this other energy is bubbling up inside   I  obviously need to research this and figure out what's happening and what to do about it! :)

Edited by Homeschoolie

That's also a hand gesture for the Thurisaz rune. Which would make sense for the energy your feeling.

• Upvote 1

Maybe you just need to have a barefoot walk in the forest.

• Upvote 1

On 7/16/2020 at 8:15 AM, Gyreleaf said:

That's also a hand gesture for the Thurisaz rune. Which would make sense for the energy your feeling.

I’ve been learning about the runes more recently, though I’m currently reading about some trad British craft atm. I didn’t know there were hand gestures for any of the runes, so thank you for the info. 🙂