Georgina

Who was discouraged from witchcraft by wicca?

Looking back now... I first looked up witchcraft on a school computer when I was twelve. This was because I was already doing "magick" without even realising & I thought, surely not, it's all in my head... I spent nights even younger pretending I was practicing spells in my grandfather's backgarden burner as a child (yes, they would leave me to play with the fire alone. They were old fashioned & just said "be careful you don't burn yourself.") 

You can imagine what I found... Wiccan sites. I found mention of worshipping a god & goddess, read all the rules, etc & immediately thought "right, fuck this" & logged off. I was dead set against any religion at the time & I wasn't even sure what I was looking for. 

I'm not annoyed, just looking back with amusement at myself. I didn't look up witchcraft again for another 5-6 years & it wasn't until after that I discovered this forum & traditional witchcraft. I knew I was making things happen through will, but the how's, why's, etc were all hidden. 

I was like "Finally! Somewhere that makes sense! Yay! I can be normal me & not worship or follow silly rules!" 

Must say, I much preferred reading through the introductions & messages here. I spent a good while perusing this site with the search engine pulling up results & ogling at all the new information. 

Was anyone else here slowed / distracted down by the Wiccan cult? 

Thank lord TW & other so-called "dark practices" have gained popularity. I'd hate to think of the witches that could have missed out otherwise. 

I agree with you and have had a similar experience. From a young age I was aware that I was different in a good way. I too could concentrate and make things happen. I just didn't 'know' what it was. After a few years I began to do some research. The only direction (so it seemed) was towards Wicca. I had a friend who liked to dress up and play witch who was into Wicca. This all seemed really silly to me. As I dug deeper I began to realize that Wicca with all of its constructs was not for me or what I was seeking. I have since gotten rid of all the gadgetry and have undertaken the traditional path. I am still learning and will continue on this path. 

Wicca is just  "Witchcraft Light",  It peeked my interest, in the beginning it was safer to say I'm a Wiccan than I'm a Witch.  I would'nt put it down it was a gateway in to real magick.

Posted (edited)

"Witchcraft Light"  Love it!  To me, there were few options at first.  Saying I was Wiccan allowed me to meet others interested in the Craft who, like me, didn't know where else to turn.  I began to come across people who thought as we do and friendships and collaborations began.  Mind you, this was all pre-internet and it was tough to meet people.  It was my art that allowed me  into certain groups and forge relationships that still stand today.  As a hormonal teenage boy with long 80s heavy metal hair, I found it much easier to approach a hippie girl or a girl who was wearing a crystal or a pentagram and lots of dark eye make up than Miss Barbie Cheerleader Prom Princess.  Tailchasing aside, conversations with those of similar mind led to research and reading and eventually the reward of a fulfilling practice that has kept my interest and inspiration for 40 years.

Edited by Sagefire
  • Like 1

I would love to see a photo of that heavy metal hair!

Alas...a tragedy that none exist.  You shall have to keep your mind's image of a rugged middle aged man witch with slightly less hair.

I found Wicca when I was very young too but felt it was too flowery and aesthetic for my tastes... in retrospect being “witchcraft light” is so spot on. And I needed something more authentic so I actually ended up turning away from Wicca and using my instilled Catholicism for a while to connect for me; learning more about paganism and occultism through it. That only lasted a few years and then I worked my way trad. Wicca was a good gateway I suppose but it did turn me off and very much does now but I’m an old crone.

I too, made the mistake of trying to find out more information about the strange and unusual things that seemed to keep happening to me by turning to the fluffy wiccan books and magazines.

I don't mind admitting that they satiated my need for occult knowledge for maybe a millisecond! 

Then I found Witchcraft - Theory & Practise by Ly De Angeles and learned that the Craft had a darker side that was eluding me when studying the earlier wiccan crap. 

I wouldn't say wicca discouraged me, it certainly whet my appetite for all things Occult. But it certainly didn't 'scratch that itch' until I found Trad Witchcraft.

I  did read some wicca back in my very early teens (due to lack of other available sources, wicca was so big while other forms of craft was rather obscure, especially my heritage) but even back then I couldn't relate to their ways. I also recall considering to join their Norwegian coven but wasn't old enough. Don't remember if it was 16 or 18 years of age minimum, but I was like 13, maybe younger. I am close to nature but there is just something about wicca, can't put my finger on it..just iffy..not for me.

In my early 20’s, I was lured by a friend who was Wiccan. She was convinced I destined to join her in practice. I went to an informal party. I managed to stay about 30 min. My skin was crawling by the time I left. I don’t think I’ve ever met a group of more “artificial” people before or since. I’m sure this was representative of this particular group rather than Wiccans as a whole, however, it did lead me to associate Wicca with cringeworthy.

I have since met a few great people who practice Wicca, but it’s just not for me. 

• Upvote 1

Well, we all have to start somewhere, and yes, thank God for the internet and all the info we can glean from there.  Wether it's true or not has to be disearned by the reader.

Oh, it's all true.  The internet is infallible, Kim Kardashian said so....

I don’t know if Wicca discouraged me so much as it didn’t fit. It felt close enough to be comforting, but not right. I guess something inside me always said there was more. I now practice ancestral magic. I study history and research Genealogy, weaving stories back to life and wrapping bones in flesh and skin. I don’t have another name for it. I have come to understand that I have walked this path before, and retain memories which I am slowly uncovering. I don’t know how to explain much of it other than I learn from the past and construct my craft out of spirit work and ancestral memory. I believe we all carry it in our DNA, the physical and spiritual DNA. 
Its always been an inseparable part of who I am. My mother is a pastors wife and a devout Christian. I have witches in my family tree. I have those who persecuted them too. I first encountered magic as a child though I didn’t have a name for it. Wicca was the first thing I read about that came close, but it never quite fit. I think the rise in its popularity allowed me access to the witchy world. If I had not walked into my first new age shop at 13, I may not have come to the understanding I have so soon. I don’t agree with it, but I am glad for it. 

I remember having friends in high school that identified as "white witches or Wiccans" and they would make pleasantries with a "grey witch" classmate. I read their Wiccan books and found them interesting, but couldn't get into the whole Wiccan thing. I also stumbled upon a book in the crawlspace of the house I lived in that had a black cover with white sigils on it, something about ceremonial witchcraft or magick. Anyway, the only thing I remember about that book was: "You no longer have to copulate on a headstone in a graveyard at night to become a witch!" I don't know why I found that so funny at the time, but I did. 

So I just went through life until about a few years ago. Then I discovered hoodoo and hedge witches. I like it. Less complex rituals, no need for covens, doing witchcraft with the resources at hand. No white, grey, or black magick. Don't do what you can't handle. It just seems like common sense to me. 

3 hours ago, balefire said:

Anyway, the only thing I remember about that book was: "You no longer have to copulate on a headstone in a graveyard at night to become a witch!" I don't know why I found that so funny at the time, but I did. 

I did not know that it was an option!

7 hours ago, balefire said:

Anyway, the only thing I remember about that book was: "You no longer have to copulate on a headstone in a graveyard at night to become a witch!" I don't know why I found that so funny at the time, but I did. 

Is this not desirable...? 🤔🤭

I've been told that one can only be a witch after initiation by a coven.  I've been told that I "outed" myself by things that I said.  I've been "out" since I was 16, and I have no interest in playing by someone's fake authoritarian rules.

You can self-initiate...and self dedicate  to a Goddess if you want.