I'm curious... You know those times where you're heart tells you to do one thing, but your head tells you to do the complete opposite? Could be with love, career or other life choices.

Which do most witches choose?

I used to be someone who always followed their head until I had a major enlightenment one day years ago, changed my life around & started to follow my heart... Led to the biggest changes & the happiest I've ever been, the funny thing was as soon as I stopped following my heart at the time, it was like my path just literally ended. Do you understand what I mean? My magick stopped being as successful (apologies for spelling magick as magick, I just prefer it) whereas before there was always something, I was torn in half & it was because I chose to stop following my heart & follow logic instead. I allowed FEAR (good lord, us witches should know better) to stand in my way. Led to dark night of the soul, etc, etc, was awful & lasted 18 months or so. Wasn't in the best position either, everything went to complete shit in my life the moment I chose the "logical" choice. I ended up moving home & all sorts to start over. 

I'm steadily trying to get back onto a new path in life now which is different because I cannot return to my original since the other person involved is now long gone & moved on. 

However it really made me reflect that if our ability to have free will is completely contradicted by our path of calling, then we are left with two separate choices - either live a lie, or don't. 

And if the things we love are already predestined then that would mean that using our "free will" is counter-intuative & instead using our INTUITION & "love" (which seems in fact source energy flowing through the heart chakra...) to be who we are intended to be. Everything we do is out of love, whether we teach someone a lesson or help them. 

But I feel a total idiot at times for following my heart... I do some crazy shit, let me tell you. No drugs, alcohol or sex involved. I ended up in the wilderness living out of a tent for a year. I met the man I thought I'd always wanted & then lost him because I refused to admit he was real. I met fae for the first time & ended up in some weird copse miles out that everyone said had strange energy in there. I nearly died several times on this crazy excursion which went 240 miles on foot, though I stayed in areas for months at a time. The story is long & at the end I was left stranded on a boat out in the middle of the countryside by a drug using man (not my lover) who'd used & betrayed me for access to my resources. Revealed all of his traits & now he has been condemned by everyone & he's in the middle of losing everything because he's committed a lot of serious misdeeds towards a lot of people. 

So... There's more, but I shan't bore you all. Back to topic... How do witches fare? 

I'm going back to following my heart & intuition which I believe is the true self, but it's really tricky because it's still trying to argue with the "very human" logical aspect of my mind... But I'm past it & to be frank, I don't feel particularly human, especially not with autism. I simply want to move on in life. I'm prepared to take risks & lose everything. After a lifetime of back & forthing between heart & logic... Logic just doesn't make sense anymore. 

Any friends here who can relate? 

Oh yes. Logic told me to become a doctor or scientist and do magick on the side as a hobby. But I wasn’t so happy with it, I was only happy on an superficial ego level, and not truly passionate or fulfilled with that plan.

One day during the summer before I would have transferred to university, I sat in my bed and I could feel some sort of guiding spirit talking to me, saying “this is not the path that is meant for you, you will not find happiness or fulfillment if you continue to pursue this”. I asked what I should do instead,

”witchcraft” was my answer. And I gotta say, I’m quite glad I listened.

Since I was a small child witchcraft (real genuine witchcraft) was my passion of all passions, but along the way my logical head got in the way and decided I needed to pursue a clear-cut path with big money and prestige. Luckily I listened to the voice, and let that stuff all go.

When I was a teenager this question plagued me. I consciously asked myself this question all the time, whenever confronted with an internal conflict. I remember thinking “This is what life is all about... constantly having to choose between my heart and my head”.

Back then I followed my heart a lot. And I shouldn’t have. I should have followed my head. It was the conflict between what I wanted and what was best for me. And I think when we are young, we don’t have a lot of self control so we tend to choose what we want. And a lot of times be sorry we had. However I really feel like a lot of that is youth. 

As a relatively mature adult (which I feel is hard to find these days) we can end up choosing head too much because choosing heart really hurt. But when we can see what is best for us and how to navigate following our heart while not putting it in peril, it’s definitely the richer and more fulfilling choice. I truly think it may depend on how old (or how much life experience) one is.

I followed my heart five years ago, against all the odds, and I am living a true-life happily ever after. So in the end, heart. 

Out of the two options, I would say heart, but to be more accurate I would actually say my intuition, which I don't know if I would combine with heart or not. As a lot of people have already commented, it can be difficult to choose between the two. My intuition is like my compass, or my GPS if one prefers, and it has never steered me wrong. Although I agree with heart overall, there are times when it is not immediately possible or advisable to follow your heart. My intuition has always directed me on how to get to doing what I love based on what was right at the time, like following a path that twisted and turned a lot, each time however getting closer to my heart's choice.

First, Magick is correct, even if it only distinguishes real Magick from the mundane stage magic,

I always follow my heart, even when half the time it gets me into trouble.  At this stage of life, yes, I would probably change a lot of that, study harder at School, really gone after a better paying job, married a rich guy.  Whatever!  I would not be the person I am today, that's for sure.  But a better person, I doubt it!

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I think that we are given a brain for a reason.  Perhaps it is a question of balance, open heart/open mind.  Follow your heart, but not off the cliff.  Listen to common sense, but don't overthink.  We know what right and wrong feel like and we understand consequences of action.  You should follow your heart first, but let head help you avoid the fires and pointy things.  I think both of these should be tempered by 'Gut'.  Both Heart and Head can tempt destruction, Gut prevents it.  Heart has a flair for the dramatic, not always helpful, but Heart loves play, which is necessary.  Head kills artistic inspiration and causes self doubt, but can solve important problems.  Gut has no tolerance for nonsense.  Gut tells us not to eat poop or spiders and also has the ability to see through bullshit.  So feel, think in equal amounts, but NEVER eat poop or spiders.

Edited by Sagefire
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Onyx said:

First, Magick is correct, even if it only distinguishes real Magick from the mundane stage magic,

Please preface a statement like this with, "in my opinion," not as a matter of fact. There are many, me included, who do not add the 'k'.

Posted (edited)

Almost always have followed rational thinking, , due diligence, intuition/gut, ...my Head. 

There are numerous small, less important things, that have little or no non-positive consequences if I get it wrong, that  I use my heart...

That approach was obviously best for and worked for me because the result was I have made just a few  big blunders in life. (But, when I did blunder they were really BIG .) And have only a few, especially the really big important stuff,  regrets going into old age.

I watched many of my classmates, co-workers, friends, strangers and  family members throughout my life  follow mostly their heart. Observed the messes , complications, suffering they made and brought on themselves; how  their lives  were far more difficult and challenging then mine was/is. That all just  kept reinforcing my choice to use my head, not my heart, in most things.

Edited by Homeschoolie

Interesting, I am enjoying the varied responses here. 

I come here because to discuss such things outside of this forum with muggles is not very satisfying... I agree a lot of people follow their emotions alone & it causes them all sorts of heartache in the long run. I find it frustrating that I run from logic & my intuition whereas everyone else only follows their emotions because they believe their own emotions are all that matter.  They allow them to override all intuition & logic.

I also believe a balance between all is key & we are all taught that through every ancient system. Unfortunately though, they never tell you how to achieve that balance, that must be worked out yourself & it is continuous ritual of self.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 9:27 PM, Sagefire said:

I think that we are given a brain for a reason.  Perhaps it is a question of balance, open heart/open mind.  Follow your heart, but not off the cliff.  Listen to common sense, but don't overthink.  We know what right and wrong feel like and we understand consequences of action.  You should follow your heart first, but let head help you avoid the fires and pointy things.  I think both of these should be tempered by 'Gut'.  Both Heart and Head can tempt destruction, Gut prevents it.  Heart has a flair for the dramatic, not always helpful, but Heart loves play, which is necessary.  Head kills artistic inspiration and causes self doubt, but can solve important problems.  Gut has no tolerance for nonsense.  Gut tells us not to eat poop or spiders and also has the ability to see through bullshit.  So feel, think in equal amounts, but NEVER eat poop or spiders.

I agree wholeheartedly with Gut. I've used Heart before and nearly always got hurt. Using my Head is helpful, but being a natural over-analyser usually ends in thinking too much....and being hurt or worse - questioning endlessly whether I've 'done the right thing'. 

But that Gut Feeling. Intuition, Sixth Sense. Call it what you will, it has served me better than either my Head or my Heart over the years.

And I've never eaten poop or spiders! (Poor spiders...)

On 7/20/2020 at 5:30 PM, Mountain Witch said:

Please preface a statement like this with, "in my opinion," not as a matter of fact. There are many, me included, who do not add the 'k'.

In my opinion, and from what I have read,  sorry I have no source to quote.