Uniqdrgnfly

Any Other Carnivores Here?

Looking for new ways to cook eggs and meat. I have been carnivore for the last 3 months now and looking for new recipes to try. I only eat 1 or 2 meals a day, beginning in the afternoons, no snacking at all and get maybe less than 10 gms of carbs, which may come from mayo, sugar free ketchup, or an occasional slice of tomatoe. It has become a way of life for me and am very satisfied with the simplicity of it all, simple grocery shopping, simple cooking.

Anyway, any suggestions on recipes would be greatly appreciated. And yes, I look on Pinterest.

Posted (edited)

You can't go wrong with a whole bird, baked, picking "clean," and then boiling the bones for broth, which produces a shockingly notable amount of mincemeat. You then separate every morsel of edible. I got 2lb of mincemeat out of a relatively small turkey recently. You have to be very careful with the final separations because some bird bones are very tiny, the side of a pencil head. Using tactile sense and going slowly is key. The remainder meat is perfect for "chicken salad" which is made from the other ingredients you use (mayo, tomato etc).

The mileage out of one bird is incredible, incomparable. And, so nutritious. We survived as a species because of our ability to extract nutrition from bone. That it is not a foundational method used everywhere is a travesty. BTW do not give dogs cooked bones, as they can splinter and cause internal harm; raw only for the pets, and larger ones only.

I like taking fresh herbs, oil, and salt, and using it to "dress" the bird, then bake. Simple as anything, and you can't screw it up as long as you get the cooktime right.

Edited by phantasmagoria

2 hours ago, phantasmagoria said:

You can't go wrong with a whole bird, baked, picking "clean," and then boiling the bones for broth, which produces a shockingly notable amount of mincemeat. You then separate every morsel of edible. .

The mileage out of one bird is incredible, incomparable. And, so nutritious.

I do that all the time, I make soup out of Chicken and Turkey carcasses all the time.  Left over Roast makes good Beef Barley Soup.  Nothing goes to waste in our kitchen.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Onyx said:

I do that all the time, I make soup out of Chicken and Turkey carcasses all the time.  Left over Roast makes good Beef Barley Soup.  Nothing goes to waste in our kitchen.

I just made a bone broth this last week with curry goat bones, beef ribs, and chicken bones, I think.. boiled some kale in it this AM and have some left over for later. THAT was a great combo... 🤤

I read recently that it's recommended to boil for 24 hours to get all of the nutrients. I don't know if that's true; it probably depends on the size of the bones. But it did make me realize that a slow boil is probably better than a quickie.

Speaking of nothing going to waste, check this out:

https://english.tau.ac.il/news/prehistoric_soup

Edited by phantasmagoria
link fix