So I searched on here but did not see an in depth discussion of witch balls. I know they have been used to ward off negative entities in England for at least three centuries, but I was wondering what the members on here thought of them. Have you used one? Did you put anything inside? If so, what? Did you do anything else special to it before hanging it in your window?

I just got through doing a project that I had put off because I though it would be hard and it wasn't. I macrame'd hemp twine around a large blue orb I had gotten from a craft store last year on clearance. Esthetically, I was very pleased with the results. I have one more orb to do. Part of my intent is because it is very beautiful, but I am also asking on the basis of using it as a ward. I would like a Trad view of this if any have any experience in this area, please? :D

I have seen Witch Balls at the local Witch shop, they are glass globes with glass strings in them, no way to put anything in them though.

The only thing I know about them is they were used as Buoys for fishing nets and supposedly linked to the witch trials. Some BS similarity about them floating and if a witch was submerged in water they would also float. They were hung up to ward off witches and other evil doers. I've seen them in lots of old fishing towns in Southwest England, probably due to them looking pretty more than anything else.

If you're making your own maybe incorporate some knot magic into the twine for hanging them.

It had occurred to me to use knot magic, but macrame is new to me and I was too busy learning how to do the knots.  At the very least, they look very attractive hanging in my windows. Being of mostly English heritage, I am particurly drawn to English folk magic. Thank you both for your replies.

If you have a protection oil, you can draw runes/sigils on the glass before you apply your twine. And also coat the twine in the same oil or an herbal tincture.

There definitely is a relatively in-depth discussion somewhere, I remember reading it. Maybe as part of the household magic or household protection thread? I've always thought they were beautiful, but had never been able to source a good one. That may change now I'm closer to the sea. I did know someone who had it hung up (empty on rope) as a mirror style charm at their window. 

I can't find the thread I'm looking for, but there's a post about using them for weather witchery (apologies if you've already found it).

EDIT: It says I can't post the link when I try, but it's under witchballs, weather and the sea from 2014. 

On 5/5/2020 at 1:24 PM, Freydis said:

It had occurred to me to use knot magic, but macrame is new to me and I was too busy learning how to do the knots.  At the very least, they look very attractive hanging in my windows. Being of mostly English heritage, I am particurly drawn to English folk magic. Thank you both for your replies.

I make a holder for my money jar using knot magic to amp the it up. Worked great. I use knots more often now.