Sign in to follow this  
JFR1984

Kuman Thong and Look Thep: Modern day child spirit worship w/ necromantic origins

I started looking into and doing a lot of deep meditation on this god. Has anyone had any dealings with the willing spirits of deceased children?

Kuman Thong, to my understanding, has its roots in ancient necromany, where the monks would use stillborn or aborted fetus, dry roast them, and cover this in gold leaf, chanting to call on the spirit the whole time. This is a human spirit that never lived a human life, isn't it?

As interesting as this is, I am not interested in owning a fetus, no matter how powerful! I am more interested in its modern practice. Lots of articles show a strong belief in haunted dolls, Look Thep, and dress them, pray to them, and give them offerings. Beautiful statues are for sale online that can be quite expensive.

Has anyone had any interaction with spirits like these? Who do you belive is actually summoned? With the ancient tradition, its pretty obvious that the spirit of the child is whats being interacted with, but with the modern Look Thep tradition, I am just curious as to others opinions on what it is that would answer the call, so to speak, to an inanimate dolls worship.

videos and srories i have seen all believe that it is a child that comes, and small running feet and childish laughter can be heard from time. These spirits bring good luck and protect, and are invited into the home...

Oh yeah, and I have noticed that these spirits like red Fanta.

Thanks in advance and i look forward to hearing any and all opinions!

• Upvote 1

Strangely enough I have recently made a post about Kuman Thong in the Private section.

This is Thai Necromancy; I've made another post about Nam Man Prai which is also related to the practice of Kuman Thong as it can be used to further bind the spirit to the remains.

The Kuman Thong would traditionally be sawn inside a doll (Luk Thep), however a lot of the dolls for sale are just life like looking dolls, nothing more. Real Kuman Thong is rare, obviously as it is an illegal practice, but it does still go on. I think a few years back a Taiwanese guy was caught trying to smuggle some out of the country. They can fetch large sums of money still on the black market. From my understanding the Luk Thep dolls are more like the waving Lucky Cats that you get. I'm sure you've read into it, so you are probably aware of all of this anyway. I think some of the Luk Thep dolls are supposed to have a spirit placed inside them but it all seems to be loosly based on Kuman Thong, a Kuman Thong Light if you will. From what I've read, it seems more like a selling gimick than anything else as their populairty is quite a modern thing.

Like you said, the stillborn’s spirit is bound to the charred remains and covered in gold leaf. Not always but usually then put inside a doll. This doll is then given offerings of sustenance, toys and probably most importantly love. If the spirit is kept happy it will bring good fortune to the owners and will help with their endeavours. However, if neglected it will do the opposite and bring misery and misfortune.

The Thais where an Animist people and when the country converted to Buddhism a lot of the beliefs and practices were incorporated, which is probably why they still exist today.

The Red Fanta is a popular choice of offering for a lot of spirits, as they are supposed to like sweet things. Personally, I think people just decided they like it as before the days of red coloured drinks it was blood that was offered. There are shrines for many different spirits all across Thailand and the world for that matter, so having daily blood offered I don't think would work very well in this modern world lol

To answer your questions in short. I haven't had personal experience with these but I do know of some who have with Kuman Thong. Nothing is summoned with Kuman Thong, as it is the spirit of the decesed child that is bound to it's remains. In regards to Luk Thep, I don't know enough about the practice of binding spirits to the dolls that do not have Kuman Thong inside them. But, IMO I think the dolls are just a scam, praying on the superstitious thai beliefs.

Sign in to follow this