Sign in to follow this  
Sagefire

Gaming minatures. new enthusiasm for an old hobby

Winter makes wand making difficult, so I am revisiting an old hobby.  I started painting them when I was around 12.

post-4990-0-87850800-1586215986_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 4

I have never truly outgrown it.  We home school my granddaughter and I am responsible for her art instruction so I have also been showing her how to make 'ancient' maps.

• Upvote 2

That sounds awesome. Done any fictional ones like Middle Earth or Narnia for example?

All my old figures are up in my parents loft I think. If you're familiar with Games Workshop then the Blood Angels were my favourite. I mean a race of advanced vampire soldiers, who wouldn't have them as a favourite lol

I know Games Workshop!  I love Orks and Dwarves.  Our maps are totally imaginary.  I started that when I was a kid.  Soak a piece of paper in coffee to 'age' it, scorch the edges, then go after it with paint and inks and cover it with runes or a made up language.  I did this the first time after seeing the Rankin/Bass Hobbit cartoon and Bilbo's map.  Later I would make them for D&D campaigns.  I also made scrolls and spell books.

• Upvote 1

I love your Dragon, great job Sagefire.  I have a few, well two, Dragons that live in the garden,  Gifts from my Granddaughter, I did not paint them.

• Upvote 2

Thank you onyx.  This dragon is only 3 inches tall including his base.

• Upvote 1

Yes, I figured if it was a game piece that it would be quite small.  Make me want to take up gaming!

• Upvote 2

Oh wow! I love how beautiful the colors came out on it!
Very very well done! Love it!

• Upvote 2

Looks like you have something to keep you occupied for a while.  What kind of paint do you use for you models.  Enamel?  or acrylic?  because enamels are difficult and take a long time to dry.

• Upvote 2

Just cheap acrylic craft paints.  They mix and blend well and virtually every painting technique can be applied with them.  The finished piece then gets a matte or gloss varnish.  Back in the day it was all enamel but thinners and clean up were terrible.

• Upvote 2

Yes acrylics are the best!  I remember my Brother trying to paint models and enamels were so hard to work with.  Drying time in particular.  It is too hard to wait to put the next coat of paint on.  Please can you post pics of the finished product.  

• Upvote 3

I love your Dragon Sagefire. It brings to mind fantasies of soaring over lush mountains. For many years I have sought a gaming group. I'm intensely attracted to the idea of it, but have only played at 3 (separate, and 2 of them open to public noobs) game sessions in my life. It's one of those activities that I really have had to admire from afar, without a group to play/work with. Though I do know someone who I have a LDR with who was a DM for 10 years, so if we ever live in proximity or together then I know what I'll be doing :)

So much gaming is done online anymore although there are some pretty amazing DMs out there.  I haven't rolled a D20 in years but I gave been painting minis and crafting terrain since the 1980s.  I guess I ahve always lived in that world and will probably not leave anytime soon.  Here in Montana we have a few game shops with playing spaces and hosted encounters but it seems that people are more into the wargaming or card games which are fine, but I tend to lean toward the traditional dungeon crawl.

Online gaming, eh. It's the "fun in person at the table" that attracts me. I'd rather just study ;) I've heard also that the gatekeeping online is even worse than in person! There is a game shop around here too, and I did attend one game there... maybe once the corona restrictions are lifted I'll check it out again. We'll see.

My early life dungeon experience was more the solo venture, a la Zork-series text adventures. I never beat any of them, though... well, one of them, but I cheated so horribly it was embarrassing! No dragons there, though, that I can remember.

I spent too much time with Zork.  It took me weeks to figure out how to climb the telephone pole to find the bird nest.  It seemed so amazing at the time.  To me nothing compares to face to face gaming.

Posted (edited)

Yes, it's an incredibly aggravating series at times, and yet, I must have played for many hundreds of hours in my youth, easily. I wouldn't be surprised if I tipped the thousand mark (an hour a day for 3 years? probably well over that... Mom would get mad when we occupied the computer for too long). We had them in the home when I was a child, starting pretty much at the age where I could type words on a keyboard. We even printed it as we went on that old paper that was attached to the next page, and had the holes you had to rip off on the sides (that's a lot of paper, and I wouldn't do that today, for a few turns on a cheesy game!). My family didn't play well with each other (we may have if my parents bought D&D instead of Monopoly, though) so we mostly did solo adventuring instead, but we bonded over the stories in the game B)  I've tried playing them again and I don't get very far before giving up and doing something more productive. It's mostly nostalgia for me. Oh, Accardi-by-the-Sea.... :chakrahearts:

Edited by phantasmagoria

I too tried to play some the old text RPGs and gave up in a short while.  When they were all we had they were awesome.  A few years ago I purchased an old Atari 2600 online with a bagful of game cartridges.  It was very nostalgic but I had forgotten how some of the games were nearly impossible to play with those old joysticks!

• Upvote 1

When my kids got video games I gave it a try, I just could not get into it.  Too old I guess!

Sign in to follow this