• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 03:41 PM

You all are inspiring me to sharing more of my work here :) So, this will be the repository on this board for what I do that isn't text-based.

I had to delete and upload them again a few times due to them being rotated, and can't seem to get them to be in the right order that I want. Of course the dirty "Siriusly Alive" whale wants to go first. That one has been sitting in a box for a while, and has traveled pretty far and wide... I had another digital copy of it a while back, but it was lost. Oh well! I'm really only including it because JennAdeleK requested something with a sigil on it. Otherwise it's so filthy, I'm a bit embarrassed.

The Tribal Unity design is still bound in a hardbind, and not planning on cutting that one out, unless it wants to be framed, but something tells me to protect it. Well, that something could be the fate that Sirius Whale met...

The candles were made entirely from wax I saved up, and, salvaged twine and glass. This batch was from 2 winters ago, I think. I have another huge batch of wax waiting to go, but, haven't gotten around to making or getting molds.

Attached Files

Edited by phantasmagoria, 17 March 2020 - 03:50 PM.

#2 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 04:56 PM

Very nice phantasmagoria!  I used to make candles too, a long time ago.  I love seeing others work!  Thanks for sharing.

#3 JennAdeleK

JennAdeleK

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 04:58 PM

Oh WOW!!! I'm suuuuper impressed!!!! There's something so organic-feeling (like a spiral that wants to move forever outward) about your designs, as if they are growing. I really love the feeling they evoke! And, the candles are very cool... I've only ever made candles a couple of times in a group setting, never on my own. Are your candles given any specific intentions?

The Astro Ghost

FREE Daily Astrology & Tarot

https://theastroghost.blogspot.com/

#4 phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 07:13 PM

Thanks both!!! The candles pictured were just regular old candles. Sometimes I give candles, storebought new or used, or, my own recycled ones, specific intentions, though, either by carving into them or using oils or essences or whatever else.

#5 JennAdeleK

JennAdeleK

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 07:20 PM

Thanks both!!! The candles pictured were just regular old candles. Sometimes I give candles, storebought new or used, or, my own recycled ones, specific intentions, though, either by carving into them or using oils or essences or whatever else.

Sweet! I love carving on candles, for some reason...

The Astro Ghost

#6 phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 07:34 PM

Sweet! I love carving on candles, for some reason...

It feels so satisfying to cut into wax!

#7 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 07:07 PM

It feels so satisfying to cut into wax!

I usually carve Sigils onto my spell candles.  Mostly I write them on Mulberry paper and burn them.

#8 JennAdeleK

JennAdeleK

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 07:36 PM

Mulberry paper... oooh... tell me more about that! B)

The Astro Ghost

#9 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 11:45 PM

Mulberry paper is made from the leaves of the Mulberry bush,  you know the one we are supposed to dance around?  "Here we round the Mulberry Bush"  "So early in the Morning".  Which has nothing to do with the paper at  all.  Just my brain taking a detour.

Mulberry paper is hand made in Japan, you can buy it in Art Supply stores for a decorative paper.  I found quite by accident that this paper burns nice and quickly, not like Flash paper but still very quickly.  So I cut some of my different colors into small squares, I write my reduced Sigil onto the paper and place it on my Altar until I am ready to ignite it.  Tweezers are a handy tool to hold the paper with or  just hold the edge if you are quick.

Sometime the paper will have flowers or leaves incorporated in it.  Some are so thin it would be hard to write on, but painted on would work.

#10 woodwitchofthewest

woodwitchofthewest

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 12:30 AM

I usually carve Sigils onto my spell candles.  Mostly I write them on Mulberry paper and burn them.

That reminds me, I have been meaning to make more "incense papers" for sigil magic.  I'm going to try mulberry paper this time, thank you for the idea!  

If I were more clever, something interesting would appear here...

#11 JennAdeleK

JennAdeleK

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 12:14 PM

Mulberry paper is made from the leaves of the Mulberry bush,  you know the one we are supposed to dance around?  "Here we round the Mulberry Bush"  "So early in the Morning".  Which has nothing to do with the paper at  all.  Just my brain taking a detour.

Mulberry paper is hand made in Japan, you can buy it in Art Supply stores for a decorative paper.  I found quite by accident that this paper burns nice and quickly, not like Flash paper but still very quickly.  So I cut some of my different colors into small squares, I write my reduced Sigil onto the paper and place it on my Altar until I am ready to ignite it.  Tweezers are a handy tool to hold the paper with or  just hold the edge if you are quick.

Sometime the paper will have flowers or leaves incorporated in it.  Some are so thin it would be hard to write on, but painted on would work.

Oh great! Thanks!

The Astro Ghost

#12 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 10:37 PM

That reminds me, I have been meaning to make more "incense papers" for sigil magic.  I'm going to try mulberry paper this time, thank you for the idea!  

This sounds interesting!  How do you make incense paper?  That would give your sigils and extra layer of majick.

#13 woodwitchofthewest

woodwitchofthewest

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 01:51 AM

This sounds interesting!  How do you make incense paper?  That would give your sigils and extra layer of majick.

Hi Onyx - well, you dissolve some saltpeter in a small cup of water, and briefly soak the paper you want to make incense from in the water, and let it dry. (Sometimes people paint the saltpeter solution on the paper - more than once, usually, and let it dry in between.  Probably works better than soaking if the paper is thin or easily dissolved.) Then you add fragrance to the paper, let it dry again, and then you can write or paint on it (if you paint on it, let it dry again!) and then burn it.  Depending on the paper, you can often light it, blow it gently out, then let it finish smouldering and turning to ash on a censer.  

Edited by woodwitchofthewest, 23 March 2020 - 01:51 AM.

If I were more clever, something interesting would appear here...

#14 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 06:44 PM

What does the saltpeter do?  What do you use for fragrance?  This sounds like something I might like to try.