14 replies to this topic

#1 AnnaMoon

AnnaMoon

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:43 AM

Greetings,

I’ve been a Seeker for a while now, reading almost everything on this forum, I must say I am so very grateful to have found this community here, at the right time I needed it and now I feel it’s time that I posted something, to follow my introduction.
I will first tell you a little bit more about my practice, my surroundings, I feel I have learnt a lot from you by reading your posts and comments so I believe it is only natural that I explain a little more in depth about where I come from and my habitat. :rolleyes:

I grew up in the countryside, with my grandparents, feeling a profound connection to nature and extremely drawn to certain plants that later I would find out that are some of the most potent in magical practice. Picking up little stones that felt protected me, always aware of what went on around me, in both nature and people’s cycle of birth, life, death. Magical realism at its best, something that now aids me both in my literary career (I am a published poet, among others) and magic. I moved to the city when I was 7, started questioning every rule the society and religion were preaching (I live in an Orthodox country, in the Balkans), so many things seemed unnatural to me. I never lived with my father, but up until I was 14, he lived in the same city I did and somehow I went to him with all my questions, learning about his practice as a practitioner of magic and some of the theory around it. Around the age of 12, I started trying tarot divination, mirror scrying, they all led to great results. I once tried to astrally project, I think I was 15 at the time, and it took me just a few minutes to start ‘floating’ around the room. I am not bragging about this, it is merely an introduction to my consequent dilemmas, I know it’s not a big deal around here. My father moved away and kept moving to this day, from city to city, from country to country, leaving me with a bunch of theoretical insights but less practical stuff. For a while, I tried to focus on life, high-school, college, jobs, then a family, trying to convince myself that magic is no child’s play and once you start, really start on the path, there is no going back and it must be taken very seriously. Of course, not practicing ritualistically or however you wish to name it didn’t mean that my natural 'witchiness' was put to rest, but just that my magic would occur organically, with not so much effort. In the past few years, life really got in the way of everything, I went through a few years of being very depressed, but I have rearranged my life in the past year and started feeling this strong calling to start my ‘serious’ journey on the magical path. Then I found this forum and started reading more and more, about your practice, some books (the good books are so hard to find, though, other than the old sacred texts and Eliphas Levi, Aleister Crowley, etc., some newer books that can’t be found online and are out of print, man, that really is hard and all the wiccan content online is annoying). 

Now, as you may have noticed from what I wrote here, I am a cautious creature. I have only been using my own ‘power’ up until this point in life and perhaps some of nature’s as well and I could see that most of you work with guide spirits, ancestors, deities. I get this and I would really like to learn more about this. I believe that learning must come first, though of course most learning is done through practice. I guess it is part of my protection, something that I must take further. It would clearly be easier for me to be living closer to nature at this point, but it so happens that I live in a flat in a crowded city. 4 days of the week, my 7 years old son is with me, also, he is very sensitive as well, and an empath, like me, so it’s him really that I must protect the most. Once I start with the ’serious practice’, I don’t want weird lingering energies around the house. I feel that the best for me would be to use the magical circle (again, it’s mostly mental, for protection), as a sacred space in which I feel the most part of the magical activities and spirit work should take place, I feel this strongly, also because the energies would not scatter around and grow in a specific circle, also because I feel it’s good to have a space where you can start a new ritual and finish it when I feel it’s over. 

I feel I must say, what I am mostly interested in to achieve through magic is of course, knowledge, and the ability to heighten my healing powers, astral travel to places I feel I need to go and learning about past lives which may lead to learning about the goal I need to accomplish in this life. 

Now, most of you say that your spirit guides and ancestors protect you from potentially malevolent entities, etc. Now is where my questions really start B) ^_^

1. When you say ancestors, I believe it’s not just blood-related family from the past, but I guess ancestors could also mean spirits that have a strong connection to our spirit, from past lives or from the time we spend in the spirit world, am I being mistaken here? 

2. I could not find enough information on spirit guides, I wonder to what extent can they be trusted? Who are they and why would they have such a big interest in us, Unconditionally? I couldn’t emphasize this enough, Unconditionally.

3. Before I start on any ritualistic spirit communication and astral traveling, I feel I have to learn more ways to protect myself, my surroundings and ways to banish those entities that might become harmful. Do you have any insights on this or reading material I could look into? It would be greatly appreciated. Also, I believe that even benevolent entities and spirits can harm us without meaning it, as their energies are so potent and their mere presence and touching could prove problematic sometimes, am I right or is this something that I shouldn’t ‘worry’ about?

This is it for now, I thank you all for your patience in reading, I look forward to sharing great conversations with you. I must now run to a meeting, trying to develop a music and arts festival that draws awareness on global warming, deforestation and pollution, I think this is a time when the material world could use all the help and assistance we can provide. 

You all have a wonderful, magical day! :wub:
p.s.: I can't tell if the font color is alright, I am meaning to use a white font on a black background, does it show the same for you?

Edited by AnnaMoon, 30 January 2020 - 09:31 AM.

#2 phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:33 AM

Hi AnnaMoon! Nice to meet you (btw you may want to post your intro on the Introductions forum)! Also, you chose black text and it can't be read without highlighting... try editing again :)

1. Some people use "ancestors" to mean blood relatives, others mean it as any, many, or all of the beings who have been on the Earth before us. Around here though it usually means bloodline.

2. I'd say that the trustworthiness of a spirit guide is variable, and not universal, because any sort of entity can be a spirit guide, from a Diety to an Animal Spirit to whatever else, and in each of those categories can be many different answers, different for each person, too. Also, some of us have more direct communication with our guides than others.

As for "unconditional trust," well, lately there has been a lot of discussion about Saints, and there are some here who are opposed to work with them, but those that do work with them (myself included) find that they embody the "unconditional trust" you speak of. Honestly though, this comes down to your personal relationship with an entity.

I'd say this is fodder for its own thread if the question were to be tweaked some.

3. As someone who has historically taken a "free-wheeling" "wild magic sorcerer" approach (though slowly I am learning to take more precaution) I'm not the best to answer this, but, for me, using protective stones, visualizing force fields/barriers of some kind, and speaking or thinking protection statements like "only those who have my best interests at heart are welcome in my space" are all basic methods. There are also multiple discussions here about casting circle and casting compass, and those are helpful and lively discussions.

For astral travel, that is not something I am well versed or experienced with, but from what I do know, you would do well to have some sort of stone or crystal or other natural or personal item to hold to "bring yourself back." Silver is useful (to maintain the "silver thread"). But, again, not my area of expertise.

Personally, I welcome any entity who is benevolent toward me, and I "wouldn't worry about it." You're not likely to be sought out by supreme entities for nothing, either. If a God or Goddess has taken a liking to you, it's advisable to take it as an important sign, and welcome that Diety, as long as there isn't some reason why you really wouldn't want to.

Also kudos to you for the work you are doing... yes we need all the help we can get for taking care of Earth... She is suffering and, as I see it, we are Her Army, here to help and defend however we can :grouphug:

Edited by phantasmagoria, 30 January 2020 - 08:37 AM.

#3 AnnaMoon

AnnaMoon

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:12 PM

Dear phantasmagoria, thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my post, also for your insights.

I did also introduce myself in the designated forum back in Summer, when I first signed up, only I haven't posted anything ever since and I thought the info in the intro I wrote here to be essential for understanding my background and consequently getting some insights on the matters. 

Thank you for your answers, truly.

#4 phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:26 PM

Sorry, I only scanned the most recent in that forum and didn’t realize you already posted. No worries. I appreciate your sharing of your background 😀 I didn’t only “watchdog” for watchdog purposes but also because I wanted to ask you some things about what you wrote about yourself that were not relevant to the thread (specifically about your lit and poetry career if you are open to discuss)

And you are welcome!

Edited by phantasmagoria, 30 January 2020 - 12:29 PM.

#5 Khundekling

Khundekling

Huge Member

• Moderators
  • 544 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:36 PM

1. When you say ancestors, I believe it’s not just blood-related family from the past, but I guess ancestors could also mean spirits that have a strong connection to our spirit, from past lives or from the time we spend in the spirit world, am I being mistaken here? 

You are not mistaken but I guess that would depend on who to talk to ;) to me ancestors firstly means blood relatives but can also be witch ancestors.

2. I could not find enough information on spirit guides, I wonder to what extent can they be trusted? Who are they and why would they have such a big interest in us, Unconditionally? I couldn’t emphasize this enough, Unconditionally.

There are a few threads on here relating to spirit guides. Some spirits can be tricksters, so you should take any communication with caution. Any relationship that is built with a spirit, is just that, a relationship. I'm not sure it can be unconditional. But that is just my opinion, as I have had no dealings with guides I could be wrong.

3. Before I start on any ritualistic spirit communication and astral traveling, I feel I have to learn more ways to protect myself, my surroundings and ways to banish those entities that might become harmful. Do you have any insights on this or reading material I could look into? It would be greatly appreciated. Also, I believe that even benevolent entities and spirits can harm us without meaning it, as their energies are so potent and their mere presence and touching could prove problematic sometimes, am I right or is this something that I shouldn’t ‘worry’ about?

Again there are threads on here about opening lines of communication with spirits. Start slow, don't rush into something unprepared. Protect your surroundings and yourself before anything!

Life is better with Cake!

#6 BlackbirdSong

BlackbirdSong

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 05:35 PM

1. I'm adopted, so my 'bloodline' Ancestors are counted, but my adoptive ones are too. I also work with ancestors who are those who came before that I am linked to through my Craft or through something that is a huge part of me (for an artist, this might be an artist who came before or perhaps a suffragette/gist for a women's rights activist). I also count those yet to come from my bloodline/adoptive family as within the Ancestral group.

2. I'm not sure anything in life is entirely unconditional. Even within loving someone, we get something back - whether that's simply shared past and the connection to another living being or something more. We naturally exchange as social creatures and that exchange is a type of condition when looked at in some ways. Ancestors can also be guides, they're interested in the protection and improvement of the family line so they often want to help. I do a lot of healing work with mine. Some people believe in each person having a specific guide and others don't, One idea connected with spirit guides would be a 'guardian angel' type idea, whereas another would be that you develop a relationship with a spirit and they therefore become a guide of sorts. There are many veins of thought, really. Some spirits may be interested in what you are interested in, may have a connection to you in some way or may gain something specific through guiding you to a certain point on your own path. As Khundelking says, they can be tricksters.

3. There are great things on this forum about spirit work including protection and banishing, as already mentioned. However, if you had any interest in Ancestor work then they might be a good way to start. I also think looking at certain herbs can be useful and working with plant spirits. Asafoetida, for example, can be useful when a strong banishment is needed, but I find Rosemary or Pine can also work for less dramatic work. Having an arsenal of reliable herbs and techniques is really great. I think for some, when we're starting out in spirit work, it can be so exciting that we want to read everything and try everything, but working on one to a few really strong methods for each bit (eg. lesser banishment, stronger banishment, going into trance, connecting, dream contact, heightening your senses to view/hear more clearly etc.) can work really well. And as for worry, I wouldn't panic. Take a pinch of caution and proceed slowly, know how to banish and who you're seeking to connect with. As for your little one, I keep iron under my son's bed. His room is also protected and he has a herbal spray before bed that aids in protecting him during sleep. I'm cautious with who/what I invite in anyway, but I'm more so because of him.

#7 FancyShadowCat

FancyShadowCat

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 07:56 AM

Laying down salt in your room with intent, and leaving it for an hour before vacuuming it up is a potent protection from negative entities as well. Having some chunks of it with you when you travel may also be helpful but I’m not experienced here. I’ve only projected by accident or when a spirit causes it to happen.

Edited by FancyShadowCat, 23 February 2020 - 07:56 AM.

#8 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:23 PM

Would a  Himalayan  Salt Lamp be useful for spirit protection too?

#9 FancyShadowCat

FancyShadowCat

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:30 PM

Would a Himalayan Salt Lamp be useful for spirit protection too?

Well technically I have used a Himalayan salt lamp... by crushing it in a mortar and pestle lol. All while pouring in my intent for all energies that are harmful to me and do not serve me in my highest benefit be grounded into the salt. Before of course laying the salt down on the floor. I definitely think this method is more potent than actually using the lamp for its intended purpose would be.

#10 Khundekling

Khundekling

Huge Member

• Moderators
  • 544 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 05:25 PM

Well technically I have used a Himalayan salt lamp... by crushing it in a mortar and pestle lol.

:thumbsup:

Life is better with Cake!

#11 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:00 AM

I think I will keep my lamps in one piece, crushing it sounds like too much work for my little mortar and pestle.

#12 WitchVillage

WitchVillage

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:00 AM

I don't see why you couldn't consecrate your salt lamp as a negative energy sump of sorts. Salt absorbs. It is a big chunk of salt. Why not simply experiment and see what you get from it. 

I have an old silver salt cellar that I use bog standard table (rock) salt in. You can add fine ground herbs and essential oils to the salt for extra oomph, charge it up on a full moon or dark moon and keep it in a jar. Using the cellar gives it a nice effect when you spray it across the ground, feels a bit theatrical and you can put energy into it. You know.

I think I will keep my lamps in one piece, crushing it sounds like too much work for my little mortar and pestle.

Heaven above, Heaven below
Stars above, stars below
All that is over, under shall show
Happy thou who the riddle readest

#13 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 09:28 PM

I like your Silver Salt Shaker idea, elegant looking.  raises the status of your salt.  Almost like the water sprinkling things the Priests use.

#14 WitchVillage

WitchVillage

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:32 AM

Yes, exactly what I thought when I bought it! It does look a bit ceremonial and fancy, but not too fancy (old and a tad tarnished - which I also like).

Nice way of describing "elevating the status" of the salt too, I like that! It's true.

I like your Silver Salt Shaker idea, elegant looking.  raises the status of your salt.  Almost like the water sprinkling things the Priests use.

Heaven above, Heaven below
Stars above, stars below
All that is over, under shall show
Happy thou who the riddle readest

#15 Holdasown

Holdasown

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 03:07 PM

That is why I use “my dead’ when making offerings or call out to them. That included any dead who might be working with me.

I never thought much about guides until I started with the spiritualist stuff. It’s big with them. They work completely in our best interest so yes they can. This group feels they are all humans who walked the Earth plane and are now in spirit. They can be family or just people who have chosen to be guides for others. Why do any spirits work with us? Plants, animals, humans all seem willing to help the living who respect them. Being a witch to me means working with spirit more than anything else. I don’t usually question why one comes to help as long as they are helping. We call out them in our work intentionally or not.

I started in Wicca and do the white light thing. I also energy clean the house on a regular basis. I have never had issues with negative beings or what you are talking about. I refuse to let them in. Just put my foot down and say no.  Your gatekeeper guide should be helping you with this as well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spirit guide, ancestor, the path, books, magical circle, empath, protection