• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Graeyrain

Graeyrain

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:21 PM

I realize this may ultimately be an idiotic question and maybe I’m just looking for permission to do it but I have So. Many. Books. Can I just rip the pages out that I want/use most and then put them all in one book/binder? I’m not gonna throw the rest out but then I can have one go-to book instead of pulling out a bunch every time I want to do research (I also feel like I will be much more comfortable writing notes/thoughts in them instead of writing inside nice new books).

I dunno, I feel like that’s cheating or being disrespectful somehow but the more I think about it the more I think I really wanna do it.....

#2 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:58 PM

As a book lover, I gasp!  I clutch at my chest!  Sacrilege!  If it is a passage you want to put in your Grimoire, write it out , you will remember it better than just reading.

Then again, it is your book so "Do as you wilt"!

#3 Gyreleaf

Gyreleaf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:44 PM

Personally I would just photocopy the relevant pages, then you can use them however you want. It's usually a good idea to keep books intact if you can help it. You might want to share or gift the book to someone else in the future. Also you might come across a shop you could sell it too or trade it in for different books. But they are your books, so you should feel free to do whatever you want. Just remember you can't undo it once it's done.

Which kind of books are you thinking of doing this with? Some books I know are purported to have talismanic effects of a sort. The book itself can act as a gateway into working with the currents and systems within.

#4 WitchVillage

WitchVillage

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:11 AM

I put tabs in and write in my books all the time. I see it as having a 'conversation' with them. I also give them away if they're of no further use to me. Ultimately the contents that I do make use of will become a part of my own typed up Gramarye. I never just use someone else's material as is, without integrating it into my own first. As to ripping books up, nope, not unless it's Anton LaVey's Satanic Witch or some other utter bunkum (I've actually received two of these as gifts from males), even then I'd a least use it as kindling for my sabbath fire. Yes to copying, if space is the issue, actually I'd scan so I could keep the replica in a digital file.

Heaven above, Heaven below
Stars above, stars below
All that is over, under shall show
Happy thou who the riddle readest

#5 Khundekling

Khundekling

Huge Member

• Moderators
  • 553 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:23 AM

Like Gyreleaf says, just photocopy the pages you want and make a binder out of them. Or like Onyx said, which I also do, write it out, especially if you do want to keep a grimoire now or in future. Also if you were to refer to the books after you've ripped pages out, it may get confusing when you're trying to look something up.

Life is better with Cake!

#6 Graeyrain

Graeyrain

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:47 AM

Thanks to everyone- after reading replies and thinking about it, I realize it’s not a smart thing to do so I won’t be doing it.
@onyx Let your heart be at peace! 😂

#7 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:19 PM

Thanks to everyone- after reading replies and thinking about it, I realize it’s not a smart thing to do so I won’t be doing it.
@onyx Let your heart be at peace!

Onyx is resting comfortably now!  Chest pains have gone...

#8 BlackbirdSong

BlackbirdSong

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:43 AM

For me, it depends on the book, though I do feel you Onyx! For example, a book I’ve had to scrimp and save for that was magically bound I wouldn’t tear out the pages, whereas I might in a cheaper copy of a bogstandard book. I’m a huge book lover, but I also appreciate using old or broken copies as art which isn’t so different. However, for a reference book I’d always copy because psychologically the process of writing helps with remembering. Also, for speedy reference I wouldn’t want huge amounts of info as such, so I’d be likely to write by area eg. Expelling spirits, then herb, then a short note on the herb and best uses (eg. Types of spirit, strength, smoke/scatter etc) then add a title and page number underneath to refer to other books for easy reference. For a book I’m working on to pass to my son (if he wants it), I’m adding more information including my own - but that’s written up clearly and any methods from others are tried and tested by myself, often altered slightly, then the info itself drafted a few times before inclusion. That way all the information comes together coherently. I have another for personal working, but that’s more about recording my own tests and so on than as a speedy reference.

Oh and I highlight and note in lots of books, but not the ones I scrimped and saved for. You could also add post-it’s, tabs or bookmarks if you don’t want to annotate the actual text. I’ve been known to slip pages of notes inside the page it relates to to avoid ruining a truly beautiful book.

Edited by BlackbirdSong, 26 February 2020 - 08:45 AM.

#9 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:04 AM

My Thoth Tarot book is filled with my handwritten notes, it is an ever evolving manuscript.