• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 WitchVillage

WitchVillage

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:13 PM

Anyone know what the origins of the Witch's Sigil Wheel are? Is it one of those 'ye olde ancient traditions' that was created way back in the seventies? Not that it bothers me if it is  ;) I'm just curious.

This is the so-called Witch's Sigil Wheel:

0c1fa984edfec20480111d679f98dc967bf810d1

And this is the Hermetic Rose Cross Sigil Wheel (Hebrew and English versions).

Rose.gifhwb-sigil-2a.gif

Look familiar? Well no doubt they are. Anyone got any insights into who created the Witch's one? Or where it was first put into print?

Lastly here's another one that pops up online, who's author appears to be a Chaos magickian called Rhaven

e71bcff16745512168bc9d2091b243f1.gif

Heaven above, Heaven below
Stars above, stars below
All that is over, under shall show
Happy thou who the riddle readest

#2 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 06:23 PM

Any ideas on how they work?  I use sigils all the time but I don't use a wheel.  I use the old fashioned way, take out the vowels and double letters and use what is left.

Sigils are Chaos Magick.

#3 WitchVillage

WitchVillage

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 06:59 PM

Hi Onyx,

Some sigils are certainly Chaos based. Though these aren't the usual Austin Spare inspired Chaos type of sigil. The Hermetic Rose Cross wheel, which I assume is the inspiration for the others, is I believe from the Golden Dawn.

You take your word of intent, or phrase of intent, or spirit name and reduce it to the letters. Then you draw from the first letter to the last, either in straight lines or in flowing ones.

Like so:

tumblr_osdpo94S9R1w8d4tmo4_1280.jpg

1518827390950.png

Heaven above, Heaven below
Stars above, stars below
All that is over, under shall show
Happy thou who the riddle readest

#4 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:36 PM

Oh thanks!  Now I get it, I would imagine you would use tracing paper over your guide.  I use the method of no vowels or repeat letters, it is the way I learned it and it definitely works for me.  However, no harm in trying out something new and my method probably takes longer to reduce the sentence, especially if there are multiple words used.

#5 Gyreleaf

Gyreleaf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 11:36 PM

You can also create sigils tracing the letters out from any kind of letter input design. Like the keyboard on the tablet I'm writing this on I could use it to create "qwerty sigils".

Especially good for workings that are to effect something or someone online or anything computer related.

It works well on anybody who spends a great deal of time typing (which is virtually everyone these days), it interacts with the unconscious ability to type without needing to think about typing. Let's your working slip right into them and their lives. Hope that made sense.