11 replies to this topic

#1 WitchVillage

WitchVillage

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:29 AM

That's just a working title.

Did you know that black cats and dogs are super hard for shelters to re-home?

No-one wants them: they languish in these facilities for years, unwanted, looked over, bypassed.

Superstition may have a part to play, ignorance, or maybe they're just not seen as likeable as a more colourful critter.

I've been thinking about this for a while, I wish that message could reach other pagans and witches, people who won't have the kinds of superstitious or ignorant feelings about black animals. Black cats and dogs do represent a part of our folklore and mythic history. They are woven into our stories. It would be great if more pagans and witches were aware that we could advocate for these unwanted critters in our community (I use that term loosely).

Do you have a black cat or dog?

Have you had a black cat or dog?

Would you be more likely to intentionally adopt a black cat or dog being aware that no-one else wants them?

Please let other pagans know that black cats and dogs need advocates, and homes.

Me, I love black cats. My first cat was a black cat. I'll never forget her. 

Also please feel free to post pictures of black cats and dogs! 

db3b3b5740acbc66129f5472b7a560d6.jpg

Edited by WitchVillage, 16 January 2020 - 10:32 AM.

Heaven above, Heaven below
Stars above, stars below
All that is over, under shall show
Happy thou who the riddle readest

#2 Khundekling

Khundekling

Huge Member

• Moderators
  • 520 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:40 AM

I started a black cat thread a while back...

http://www.tradition...hl=+black +cats

My Cat is a Black male rescue with FIV. The RSPCA put a lot of these cats down without much effort to look to re-home them. Luckily the RSPCA Officer who found him contacted the Cats Protection charity who took him in.

Black Cats and other black animals were considered unlucky, no doubt due to their associations with Witches. But is that really still a thing these days? I know of no one who is afraid/superstitious of black cats.

Life is better with Cake!

#3 WitchVillage

WitchVillage

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:55 AM

I don't know why shelters find it hard to re-home black animals in particular. It's just me guessing why it might be.

The fact is though, that, for whatever reason, they do. Black animals are just unpopular.

Now I am aware of this, our next one will definitely be black.

Ahh, FIV (kitty equivalent of AIDS?) I take it you keep your furry guy indoors then?

I started a black cat thread a while back...

http://www.tradition...hl=+black +cats

My Cat is a Black male rescue with FIV. The RSPCA put a lot of these cats down without much effort to look to re-home them. Luckily the RSPCA Officer who found him contacted the Cats Protection charity who took him in.

Black Cats and other black animals were considered unlucky, no doubt due to their associations with Witches. But is that really still a thing these days? I know of no one who is afraid/superstitious of black cats.

Edited by WitchVillage, 16 January 2020 - 12:01 PM.

Stars above, stars below

#4 Khundekling

Khundekling

Huge Member

• Moderators
  • 520 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 12:25 PM

Ahh, FIV (kitty equivalent of AIDS?) I take it you keep your furry guy indoors then?

Nearly, it's the Feline equivalent of HIV. It's passed through their saliva, so he was attacked, (had a nasty cut on his head when they found him) and that's how they think he got it. And, yes, he's an indoor cat. Prevents him from passing it on and reduces the risk of him picking up a sickness. He is the most loving cat imaginable, greets me when I come home, strokes my face as I'm falling asleep, always wants cuddles. The thought of him wondering the streets alone still upsets me lol

#5 WitchVillage

WitchVillage

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 12:44 PM

Aww! That's the stuff. We had to put our last boy to sleep a short while ago. He had a condition that we were treating with herbal supplements, and they had been working well, but towards the end it got a lot worse. We discussed putting him to sleep. But I thought I should give it one last shot, so instead we continued treating him and I did a charm to help even him out. And he did so quite amazingly for a couple of months. Eating well, sleeping well, affectionate, chilled out, all good signs so I was super chuffed. But then one day he simply decided he was done and went to bed and slept. Still chirpy and pleased to see me when I went in to pet him, but uninterested in eating or going out. So we took him to the vets. His organs were reparable with lots of treatment, but I thought, nah, that's not what he wants. He knew his own mind, he was done. So we let him go. A week later my O/H was awakened in the night by a loud miaow. He was one hell of a noisy boy too. Very vocal. A week later I was awakened by a loud miaow. Texted my O/H to tell him, and he said "Holy shit! Me too, I was woken last night by two loud miaows!" So that was our lad saying "Goodbye Mum and Dad, and thanks for all the fish." He left me with a lovely parting gift too, though that will remain between me and him. Eh!  :wub:

Nearly, it's the Feline equivalent of HIV. It's passed through their saliva, so he was attacked, (had a nasty cut on his head when they found him) and that's how they think he got it. And, yes, he's an indoor cat. Prevents him from passing it on and reduces the risk of him picking up a sickness. He is the most loving cat imaginable, greets me when I come home, strokes my face as I'm falling asleep, always wants cuddles. The thought of him wondering the streets alone still upsets me lol

Stars above, stars below

#6 Khundekling

Khundekling

Huge Member

• Moderators
  • 520 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:59 PM

OMG! That chocked me up!

I'm going to be a complete mess when it's time for mine.

#7 Jezebel

Jezebel

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 05:13 PM

I have a son. He is a black cat, his name is Jelibon. When I first found him, he was cachectic. He was living on streets. As he came to my home, he started to purr. He is very friendly and it is an important criteria for me. Because I bring cats to my home temporarily and look for a permenant home for them. But Jelibon doesn't make trouble, he tries to play with his new friends.

Once I found a cat, which was subjected to violence by humans (?! Just anatomically humans, not in real.). She was so scared and she was misantrope. Jelibon helped me so much. She trusted me in time. Yes I tried so hard, but I couldn't be successful without Jelibon. Now she is in her new home, and Jelibon is laying next to me. 

You have witchcraft in your lips.

#8 phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:03 PM

I worked in a “cattery” at a no kill animal shelter for 8-9mo, years ago. Black kittens did fine, usually, bc kittens. Older black cats have some trouble, maybe, and the shelter did run a month of free adoption for black animals to help with this movement. Tbh though personality trumped color. Our “old timers” were calico and white!

The shelters also make background checks important bc of risk. They know that certain types with bad intent look for kitties. They see shit most people never know about and heal the fallout. Kudos to them. Most would never admit, but, the animal shelters are usually staffed by a higher percentage of witches, lol. Who else would want to pet cats all day? Even a witch gets bored with that.

Methinks it is more of a subconscious cultural remnant, a shadow so to speak, than an active superstition. Maybe for some, but not so widespread.

My Dog is black with tan and white accents. Indeed black dogs have a history relevant to witchcraft: Hekate is a keeper of the black dog. Also, Shiva!

“Black Dog” is also a euphemism for Depression, and it is my opinion and experience that an actual Black Dog is a medicine for such a melancholic condition 😇 My Dog’s name, Beatrice, actually means “Happy.”

WitchVillage it sounds like you handled your cat’s passing with great care and he left in joy and peace. ❤️

We had a tabby cat who had Kidney Failure, and he simply refused to die for 6 months! Until he lay down for good and we had to send him along.

I have said goodbye to many Cats. They seem to already have one “paw” somewhere else and wait for us to come to terms, or just slip out of body one day. Black (and white, too) animals seem to straddle that line more than others. The pure white cats I have known have been, let’s say, “different.”

But choosing a Dog this time feels totally different than my relationships with my former Cats. She is dependent on me in a way that a Cat is not; our bond is much more symbiotic, interdependent. Sometimes the knowledge that our time together in Life is limited by her natural life span comes to me and I quickly send that thought away because I have already seen what I am willing to do for her to stay alive and safe with me. I have no children so my inner Mother gets channeled through the Dog. I pray for years and years more with her, but I believe it is fair to say that adopting any animal is also signing up for them to break your heart at the end, and repair it from the other side, but it is our job to stay in the moment with them and learn from them, they with no concept of Death, only knowing their Life. Gosh these animals are so amazing. They share their lives with us and show us the meaning of being present in Love with simply Being. It is a blessing to be Chosen by any of them! They have their own life paths and they choose us anyway! That is special and sacred.

Edited by phantasmagoria, 17 January 2020 - 01:51 AM.

#9 phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:38 PM

Not saying that either species is "more close." I grew up around cats, no dogs, but knew that I wanted/needed a dog for decades before finally being able to adopt. I need a dog as a familiar because of how important travel is to my seasonal patterns. When I picture my "dream cottage" there are a few cats, of varying levels of friendliness, hehe, but the way I am living at this stage of my life (and who knows what is happening to the world? looks like it's changing...), I can't keep cats. Though, my Mom has a black cat named Shadow, who is just transitioning into Cathood from Kittenhood, and he is a menace. Friendly, overtly so, loves belly rubs, but, we call him “the imp." He plays the part well.

Edited by phantasmagoria, 17 January 2020 - 01:54 AM.

#10 WitchVillage

WitchVillage

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 07:07 AM

WitchVillage it sounds like you handled your cat’s passing with great care and he left in joy and peace. ❤️

I was very happy he was able to leave on his own terms and that he was assisted into a peaceful closure. My mum taught me that the purpose, and thus ultimately the effect, of all true spiritual healing, is bringing the body-mind into right alignment with divine Will. Animals will fight tooth and nail to survive, if it is their Will to do so. And they will endure much to stay alive. But the opposite is also true. My cat was very aware of what he wanted in life, and he knew what he wanted when it was time for him to move on. Even the vet said when they're old and tired they let go very easily, no struggle or resistance.

Lol at your tabby. Yes some are very wilful, it's like "No, I've still got stuffs to do! I'm going to stick around a bit longer."

Edited by WitchVillage, 17 January 2020 - 07:22 AM.

Stars above, stars below

#11 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 07:37 PM

I seem to have had mostly white long haired cats, but when the last one passed on, I decided enough with the white hair everywhere, lets get a Black one.  So we adopted a little Black guy from the shelter, we called him Onyx.  He is a sweetheart, and loves us so much.  Most of our cats come from the local shelter, I always go there first to look, one time we went there to pet the cats and there were two Ferrets that looked like a whole lot of fun.  I hear they will burrow into your furniture, so no Ferrets for us.

#12 phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:39 PM

Lol at your tabby. Yes some are very wilful, it's like "No, I've still got stuffs to do! I'm going to stick around a bit longer."

His MO was to knock everything he could off the counter, and hit us too with his paw, until we fed him, and he was only up for Temptation treats. That is why he got sick in the first place: he refused real food FOR YEARS! Picture an emancipated Tabby like a battering ram. He was a total hedonist, down to party till the end.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: black cat, familiar, black dog