Hariasa

Old Paths, Old Curses, New Beginnings?

I could use some friendly advice regarding my current path. 

A little background:

I was raised in a protestant church, parents took me "religiously" every week. As a pre-teenager I was exposed to the occult through my own curiosity and fiction. I practiced sporadically during those years as most teenagers do living in a religious family that was entirely set against anything related to the occult. That practice was mostly nature focused (not Wicca). 

Fast forward a few decades and I have mostly fell out of practice, but still retaining the role of the "armchair practitioner" (insert sarcasm). I have since returned to the christian church, Roman Catholic to be specific. I thought that it would this decision would be the best. I completed the RICA. However, through most of the rites there are quite a few including an minor exorcism, I did not experience anything no enlightenment, holy spirit etc. even when the priest performed a laying of hands and anointing.

I don't know if my previous workings in magic had anything to do with my experiences (or lack there of) in the church so far, but it has not lived up to my expectation. I can't seem to leave the occult and magic (traditional path) alone. The church would consider me damned I sure for my practice. I have a lot of cognitive dissonance over this issue.

Does anyone attend a christian church and still continue a solitary practice? Is it easy? Hard? 

• Upvote 1

Why did you think joining the Catholic Church would be a good thing?  You were raised a protestant, very different from RC.  Just loads more dogma and ceremony, smoke and mirrors.

A witch is a witch is a witch.  I know there are Catholic Witches,  but why would you bother?  Be a Witch with a capital W!  Maybe you are meant to be a Ceremonial Witch!

• Upvote 4

The conflict is in the politics.  Many 'occult' practices accept and indeed embrace the basic Christian tenants of love, compassion and tolerance.  His Holiness the Dalai Lama once said that any spiritual system of beliefs that walks this path is legitimate.  The modern Church of Rome is in the business of recruiting and breeding more Catholics, and in so doing, influencing human politics for it's own benefit and preservation.  The entire premise of it's founding was rooted in CONTROLLING an empire, ask any Druid.  No church has the power to damn you for anything, only you can do that.  Condemnation was a scare tactic to subjugate illiterate peasantry when food and shelter was at the pleasure of one's 'betters'.  Nearly all forms of Christian doctrine are based on a limited chosen selection of texts, so as a Sunday pew-sitter, you aren't even getting all the facts.

Take what you know to be true from your faith, and praise the Creator by being a steward and acolyte of Nature.  Magic and natural craft have been around much longer than the written theory of any organized religion.  The laws of Nature are the laws of the universe, not man.

Lay to rest any doubts you have and live as an enlightened being that is part of something much bigger than an organization of humans.

• Upvote 4

The conflict is in the politics. 

Take what you know to be true from your faith, and praise the Creator by being a steward and acolyte of Nature.  Magic and natural craft have been around much longer than the written theory of any organized religion.  The laws of Nature are the laws of the universe, not man.

Lay to rest any doubts you have and live as an enlightened being that is part of something much bigger than an organization of humans.

Thanks for the insight Sagefire, its helpful to have some fresh perspectives!

• Upvote 2

I used to be Catholic and Christian Hariasa, I know the first time when you started both it felt wrong and also right. You don't want to abandon your current path but also the one you grew up with.

What I can tell you that in my own experience and my friends who are still a formal religion practitioner, it is about experience you had with your own craft. For my friend, he felt the calling to folow the traditional path even though he doesn't like how the church works but he still follow it because  he had an experience where he got help from his church. 

I on the other hand never had any experience involving God and my prayer at that time actually was answered by a witchcraft path.

So whatever you do know just do it until you finally get the "calling" by the path. I won't say formal religion is not advisable, but I will only say the agenda of formal religion is not in the spiritual practice anymore but more of a political agenda. So If you finally decided to follow Catholic, be your own version of Catholic, Because at the end the path is between you and your own path not the community behind it.

• Upvote 1

Beware of bias from both sides of the fence (even the notion of a dividing fence is quite ridiculous to be honest), both witchcraft and Christian. Ultimately it's your path to walk and your choice to make.

It reads to me like you are worried your previous witchcraft experience had tainted you in some way so you could not benefit from the Catholic rituals.

Wherever there are people you will find witchcraft of one sort of another, especially folk magic. Most of those people will be of the dominant Religion of there culture. Which in a lot of places in the western world will be Christian of one sort of another.

There are living traditions of people who are Catholic and practice "witchcraft" of a sort. Working with the saints for instance. I am sure you could find plenty of information online. You are not alone if you choose to walk the path of a Catholic Witch.

• Upvote 1

Magic of the Saints, Psalm magic, Angelic magic, yes I agree with Gyreleaf above, these are all real historical traditional magick of the folk, which still continues into the present day.  

But, and it's an important "but", these practices were and no doubt are all frowned upon by the Church. The Priest's purpose within Catholicism is to to be an 'intercessor' between you and God. Meaning that while you can talk to God in prayer, He only communicates with you via the Priest. If you start HEARING God all by yourself, getting healed by Saints, having personal Mystical visions, receiving guidance from Angels, these are supposedly all very bad things. All signs of the Devil leading you astray from the one true path. Which historically, could have been very dangerous indeed for you.

No wonder you felt nothing. In my opinion, their rites are not intended to assist you into directly feeling or experiencing anything spiritual. They are designed to prevent you from doing so. My apologies if this is felt to be harsh. Please understand that I don't wish to be. This is the truth as I see it. If you would like to go deeper into the mysticism of Christianity read about Hildegard of Bingen, read about Gnosticism, read about William Blake. There are a whole slew of magical mystical heretics out there. Go find them and work your Mojo.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 1/15/2020 at 2:53 PM, Onyx said:

Why did you think joining the Catholic Church would be a good thing?  You were raised a protestant, very different from RC.  Just loads more dogma and ceremony, smoke and mirrors.

A witch is a witch is a witch.  I know there are Catholic Witches,  but why would you bother?  Be a Witch with a capital W!  Maybe you are meant to be a Ceremonial Witch!

I want to say I agree with this. A witch is a witch is a witch. I’d like to add that I was also raised in a religious household. My mother is as dogmatic as it comes. My father knows I am a witch. My mother does not and never will. 

I don’t know how you feel about reincarnation and past lives. I believe in them, and I believe the past does affect the present. For me, I believe I struggled between being a witch and the church because it is a carry over of the past. So many were persecuted in the name of God. I believe there are many witches who have reincarnated and continue to struggle with the church. Perhaps this is true for you as well. Perhaps it’s not. I wanted to suggest it as a potential area of exploration. I’ve only managed to find peace with myself by uncovering the witch wound I have and doing deep healing work. 

I was raised in Scotland and went to a Presbyterian Church, so not as much pomp and circumstance as the RC Church or the Church of England.  Bare Bones decoration in the church and only a cross instead of the crucifiction.  None the less, I still was not interested in being there.  I made a deal with my Mother, it might as well have been with the Devil, that if I cooked Sunday Dinner, I could stay home instead of going to church.   Score for both of us really.  I learned how to cook too.

About reincarnation and past lives, why not.  I have not had any experiences to say yes though.

Can you explain "The Witch Wound" please?

• Upvote 1

I would love to. I have a few ways of looking at it. I will try to explain it in a way that makes sense! 

The first way I see a witch wound, is in the disconnect from feminine energy and a woman’s innate power. What is a witch, historically, other than a woman who had the audacity to be different in any way. A woman who may have possessed what another desired. Women who were knowledgeable, nonconforming, or misunderstood. I understand it first as a disconnect from sisterhood and healthy femininity. 
Perhaps the best way I can explain it is through personal experience. My church upbringing teaches that virginity is to be prized and maintained above all else and that a woman’s body is forever changed, if not degraded, by sex. The church I was raised in teaches women are to be subservient to men. That women are, ultimately, to blame for the downfall of humanity in the garden of Eden. This is not how all churches approach it, but it is the distinct message I received growing up. Women are not powerful. They are weak. 
I consider the way wars have been waged against women for as long as humans have existed. How historically rape was seen as a consequence and spoil of war. Rape has been a tactic utilized to breakdown an enemies society. The root of the word hysteria. Sex as a form of procreation. Procreation as dirty and abhorrent. Medicalization of childbirth. 
The global warming we are currently experiencing as a result of the abuse of the Earth we call home. I see a parallel between the planet and the way women have been treated. 
There is a book called Vagina by Naomi Wolf. It is not about witchcraft, but the history of female sexuality. I gleaned quite a bit from it.

In school, I never felt a deep sense of sisterhood. Girls bullied each other and tore each other down. The idea of celebrating another woman or being celebrated by one was entirely foreign. Women compete against each other constantly. And why? We are more powerful together than we are apart. 
Slut-shaming is rampant. Shame over a woman’s natural cycle. Disrespect for the aging woman and life cycles. Labiaplasty and vaginal rejuvenation strike me as a manifestation of it. I would not dare say a nasty word about the decisions another woman makes concerning her body. Yet I know it’s often made because of shame. I heard so many boys say the words “roast beef curtains” growing up. Men expressing disgust over the natural female body. Picking apart their breasts and nipple shape. Shaming of men and masculinity is another way I consider the wound manifesting. 

There are many things I consider a witch wound. Ultimately it’s a disconnect from nature and the power we all have within ourselves caused by centuries of bull crap. 
I realize many of these things can be argued as feminist issues unrelated to witchcraft. I consider them one and the same, and if not then at least close relatives. To me, a witch wound is any injury to the natural and inherent spirituality of a woman. 

The second way I see the witch wound relates to my belief in reincarnation. I believe it can be inherited through ancestral dna as well as through past life experiences. 
I study Genealogy, History, and DNA inheritance. One thing I found interesting relates to “junk DNA” or the DNA which appears to have either no purpose or we do not know yet what it is. I read once about a study done on rats. It was related to memory inheritance.

One rat who learned to complete a specific maze produced offspring before and after they learned to do it. The offspring born AFTER their parent had learned the maze appeared to have an advantage at completing the same maze over their siblings born before the parent completed it. 
It was also observed that parent rats who were subjected to certain experiences which illicit emotional response... such as being shocked when they went to exit a cage and experienced anxiety, produced offspring after the event who exhibited greater emotional responses in any situation. Say the rat who experienced being shocked physically when exiting a cage, their offspring would exhibit higher anxiety in any situation that could be deemed threatening. 
I believe we inherit our ancestors experiences as well as those of our past lives and it’s woven into what I call our psychic DNA, or spiritual DNA. So if I have an ancestor who experienced trauma I may inherit a knowledge of it without being conscious. Or if I have experienced something in a past life, I may experience unexplainable emotions or reactions in this one. The same way I inherit eye color, handedness, or artistic ability.

I hope that this makes some sense. If not, and I just rambled like a crazy woman, I’m sorry! 

No, not crazy!  Yes women have been treated as chattle by Men, now as we claim the title of Witch it is our duty to stand up to the patriachy and say "No More"!

• Upvote 1

The Catholic Church practices “magic” too, they just don’t call it magic, or because they are praying for their god to do most of the work it’s simply faith, rather than magic. But my ancestry is heavy with Roman Catholicism, I know about the vigil candles, the novenas (I’m also Mexican American) and really the church only permits these practices under the terms that it is their deities doing the work and not the person. But when they say “In the name of the Lord (insert  command/desire)” it’s basically magic. They just won’t admit it. I never felt anything in church  either, but I agree with an above comment that most churches don’t want you to, because if you knew what it was like to feel a personal connection with the worshipped spirits then you wouldn’t need the church anymore.

Also, you can be a witch with a “capital W” and still be catholic or any religion. Being catholic doesn’t make you less of a witch. I practice what I call “spiritual Catholicism” where I wait for the Holy Spirit to come through and speak to me rather than having a priest guide me. It’s very personal that way. Actually, I believe it may have been the Holy Spirit itself that told me I must be a conjurer/witch, it definitely felt like it.

• Upvote 1

I agree with FancyShadowCat about the Catholic Church and it's use of magic.  I was raised Catholic, and my ancestry is Irish.  Back in the day, every Irish family was expected to have at least one child enter religious life.  I started veering away when we studied mythology in seventh grade.  What made the Greek and Roman gods fake, but the Catholic God real?  From there I moved on to "what's really the difference between prayer and magic?"