8 replies to this topic

#1 Hariasa

Hariasa

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:43 PM

I could use some friendly advice regarding my current path. 

A little background:

I was raised in a protestant church, parents took me "religiously" every week. As a pre-teenager I was exposed to the occult through my own curiosity and fiction. I practiced sporadically during those years as most teenagers do living in a religious family that was entirely set against anything related to the occult. That practice was mostly nature focused (not Wicca). 

Fast forward a few decades and I have mostly fell out of practice, but still retaining the role of the "armchair practitioner" (insert sarcasm). I have since returned to the christian church, Roman Catholic to be specific. I thought that it would this decision would be the best. I completed the RICA. However, through most of the rites there are quite a few including an minor exorcism, I did not experience anything no enlightenment, holy spirit etc. even when the priest performed a laying of hands and anointing.

I don't know if my previous workings in magic had anything to do with my experiences (or lack there of) in the church so far, but it has not lived up to my expectation. I can't seem to leave the occult and magic (traditional path) alone. The church would consider me damned I sure for my practice. I have a lot of cognitive dissonance over this issue.

Does anyone attend a christian church and still continue a solitary practice? Is it easy? Hard? 

#2 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:53 PM

Why did you think joining the Catholic Church would be a good thing?  You were raised a protestant, very different from RC.  Just loads more dogma and ceremony, smoke and mirrors.

A witch is a witch is a witch.  I know there are Catholic Witches,  but why would you bother?  Be a Witch with a capital W!  Maybe you are meant to be a Ceremonial Witch!

#3 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:37 PM

The conflict is in the politics.  Many 'occult' practices accept and indeed embrace the basic Christian tenants of love, compassion and tolerance.  His Holiness the Dalai Lama once said that any spiritual system of beliefs that walks this path is legitimate.  The modern Church of Rome is in the business of recruiting and breeding more Catholics, and in so doing, influencing human politics for it's own benefit and preservation.  The entire premise of it's founding was rooted in CONTROLLING an empire, ask any Druid.  No church has the power to damn you for anything, only you can do that.  Condemnation was a scare tactic to subjugate illiterate peasantry when food and shelter was at the pleasure of one's 'betters'.  Nearly all forms of Christian doctrine are based on a limited chosen selection of texts, so as a Sunday pew-sitter, you aren't even getting all the facts.

Take what you know to be true from your faith, and praise the Creator by being a steward and acolyte of Nature.  Magic and natural craft have been around much longer than the written theory of any organized religion.  The laws of Nature are the laws of the universe, not man.

Lay to rest any doubts you have and live as an enlightened being that is part of something much bigger than an organization of humans.

#4 Hariasa

Hariasa

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 01:38 AM

The conflict is in the politics. 

Take what you know to be true from your faith, and praise the Creator by being a steward and acolyte of Nature.  Magic and natural craft have been around much longer than the written theory of any organized religion.  The laws of Nature are the laws of the universe, not man.

Lay to rest any doubts you have and live as an enlightened being that is part of something much bigger than an organization of humans.

Thanks for the insight Sagefire, its helpful to have some fresh perspectives!

#5 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 07:48 PM

Nicely put Sagefire!

#6 Strigid13

Strigid13

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:05 AM

I used to be Catholic and Christian Hariasa, I know the first time when you started both it felt wrong and also right. You don't want to abandon your current path but also the one you grew up with.

What I can tell you that in my own experience and my friends who are still a formal religion practitioner, it is about experience you had with your own craft. For my friend, he felt the calling to folow the traditional path even though he doesn't like how the church works but he still follow it because  he had an experience where he got help from his church. 

I on the other hand never had any experience involving God and my prayer at that time actually was answered by a witchcraft path.

So whatever you do know just do it until you finally get the "calling" by the path. I won't say formal religion is not advisable, but I will only say the agenda of formal religion is not in the spiritual practice anymore but more of a political agenda. So If you finally decided to follow Catholic, be your own version of Catholic, Because at the end the path is between you and your own path not the community behind it.

Endure, Endure Endure! Because the final answer will be better, sweeter and making you more mature!

-Strigid13, 7th Jan 2020-

#7 Gyreleaf

Gyreleaf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 10:27 PM

Beware of bias from both sides of the fence (even the notion of a dividing fence is quite ridiculous to be honest), both witchcraft and Christian. Ultimately it's your path to walk and your choice to make.

It reads to me like you are worried your previous witchcraft experience had tainted you in some way so you could not benefit from the Catholic rituals.

Wherever there are people you will find witchcraft of one sort of another, especially folk magic. Most of those people will be of the dominant Religion of there culture. Which in a lot of places in the western world will be Christian of one sort of another.

There are living traditions of people who are Catholic and practice "witchcraft" of a sort. Working with the saints for instance. I am sure you could find plenty of information online. You are not alone if you choose to walk the path of a Catholic Witch.

#8 WitchVillage

WitchVillage

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:44 AM

Magic of the Saints, Psalm magic, Angelic magic, yes I agree with Gyreleaf above, these are all real historical traditional magick of the folk, which still continues into the present day.  

But, and it's an important "but", these practices were and no doubt are all frowned upon by the Church. The Priest's purpose within Catholicism is to to be an 'intercessor' between you and God. Meaning that while you can talk to God in prayer, He only communicates with you via the Priest. If you start HEARING God all by yourself, getting healed by Saints, having personal Mystical visions, receiving guidance from Angels, these are supposedly all very bad things. All signs of the Devil leading you astray from the one true path. Which historically, could have been very dangerous indeed for you.

No wonder you felt nothing. In my opinion, their rites are not intended to assist you into directly feeling or experiencing anything spiritual. They are designed to prevent you from doing so. My apologies if this is felt to be harsh. Please understand that I don't wish to be. This is the truth as I see it. If you would like to go deeper into the mysticism of Christianity read about Hildegard of Bingen, read about Gnosticism, read about William Blake. There are a whole slew of magical mystical heretics out there. Go find them and work your Mojo.

Heaven above, Heaven below
Stars above, stars below
All that is over, under shall show
Happy thou who the riddle readest

#9 WitchVillage

WitchVillage

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:12 AM

We have Spiritualist Churches here in the UK, they're much more interesting IMO. Healing circles, mediumship and talking to the dead. 

Maybe you could explore that option?

https://en.wikipedia...itualist_church

Heaven above, Heaven below
Stars above, stars below
All that is over, under shall show
Happy thou who the riddle readest