Sign in to follow this  
Jezebel

Choosing A Path or Making Your Own Path

Hi everyone! I hope you are having a nice day. After I joined here, I realised that I have never read about Ancient Anatolian Civilizations (Hittites, Asyrians, Sumerians, Lycians, Lydians, Ionians, ...). Yes I heard about them when I was at high school but it was more like just few words about how they contributed to our civilizations. So recently I was looking for articles on this subject and I found a lot. 

In Turkey we don't have a specific path. Because people do these things without aware of what they do. Plus Anatolia has been the center of several civilizations since prehistoric times. I want to use their panteons. For example nearly all of them worshiped Kybele in their ages. Do you think is it a silly idea?

I found some of their rites too. Maybe I will use them in a proper way. What are your suggestions?

Edited by Jezebel
  • Upvote 1

Not a silly idea at all! An excellent idea. This is how I might begin:

• Continue reading as much as you can about the myths, rites and pantheons of your land.
  • Allow the stories and symbols to bubble away in the cauldron of your deep mind.
  • Create a shrine to Kybele (or other primary gods you intend to include)
  • Create a shrine to your ancestors, the ancestors of both your blood and of the Craft in your lands.
  • Make your prayers and offerings, according to the wisdom you have garnered from the myths and legends.
  • Petition Kybele, and the ancestors for guidance ( I would be surprised if She and they wouldn't wish to stand with you in this - they might even be prodding you already).
  • If you have the ability to physically travel to the sites of old temples, or perhaps the burial mounds of your ancient ancestors, go and meditate there. Or if possible "sit out" (stay awake overnight outdoors, and make yourself available to communication).
  • Keep yourself open to guidance, and watch for dreams, synchronicities, and so-on.
  • Record everything in your journal: dates, times, moon phases, things that simply 'stand out' in your day to day.
  • Maintain some form of regular contact ritually (or prayerfully, or just drop in to chat) with these patrons (it's rude to knock on someone's door, get what you came for and then just walk away).
  • It is likely (as with those in other parts of Europe) that you may need to pull together a synthesis, a syncretic whole from fragments. Personally, I'm no purist, so in my own practice I borrow from whatever works, and Celtic Reconstructionists for example are too exacting for my liking, but groups like that might be able to offer a model of research and praxis that you could learn from in crafting your own Path.
  • If you would like to co-create with others, do a working to call them to you, then make yourself available in IRL.

That's all I got for now. I hope others will make suggestions too.

Good luck! It sounds like a marvellous project.

Edited by WitchVillage
  • Upvote 2

Okay, I just know I'm going to keep coming back to this thread, as I have a project of my own underway that kind of ties into some tangential themes.

If you feel stumped. Like you don't know where you're going with it, nervous that you might not be "doing it properly", then make fiction.

Write a short story, or a series of flash fiction, or a play or a poem, about you or someone like you researching and reconstructing ancient rites. What would they do? What breakthroughs would they have. What does Kybele say to them, etc. etc.

That might help turn off your critical left brain, and help you dip down into that deep mind inspiration.

Edited by WitchVillage
  • Upvote 2

Thank you for your answers. By the way, yes I will add from other paths on it, but what I mentioned will be the basis of my path. I should first form the outlines very carefully. I used to visit temples and ancient cities with my family every summer. Now I don't have enough time for this. But if I have a chance, I will go these places again and maybe I can get some dust from there. So I can always have the energy from these places with me. 

• Upvote 1

Thank you for your answers. By the way, yes I will add from other paths on it, but what I mentioned will be the basis of my path. I should first form the outlines very carefully. I used to visit temples and ancient cities with my family every summer. Now I don't have enough time for this. But if I have a chance, I will go these places again and maybe I can get some dust from there. So I can always have the energy from these places with me. 

Great. 

To do it with care, yes. Well in that case I would also find our what academic institutions and organisations you can reach out to. Is there a Masters Degree somewhere that covers the ground you're interested in exploring. Is there a Phd student or a professor in religious history, archeology, or some similar branch of study who might be able to share some of their leads. Do some networking. I'd keep the Craft aspect of your interest under wraps, at least until you've established trust. Say you're researching a novel or something. Better still, as said above, start writing that novel.

Also as said, look to the Celtic Reconstructionists. You could look up a group online and ask for guidance in doing what they do, for your own lands.

• Upvote 2

I did actually. I found all the articles from an academic website. Then I found a guy, I asked some questions to him, we talked a lot since yesterday. He was very helpful. He also invited me to Vienna. :) Actually I directly said the truth. Because while I was looking at his Instagram I noticed that we have a common friend. And this friend is also a Pagan too. 

I will look for Celtic Reconstructionists too. If I can't find one, may I DM you to ask help?  :wub:

Edited by Jezebel
  • Upvote 1

Feel free to DM me. I haven't worked with Celtic Reconstructionists personally but there are groups about. I'm happy to see if I can source some leads for you.

• Upvote 2

Sign in to follow this