Sign in to follow this  
Sagefire

Preferred Rune Systems...

For those who cast the Runes, I wonder what your favorite system is.

Elder Futhark?

Anglo?

'Witche's' Runes?

Other?

Also, what is your preferred medium?

Wood?

Antler/bone?

Stone/crystal?

Metal?

Mona told me she has a set of Runes on beans.

Do you cast on a cloth, table, ground, other?

2. ᛁᛊ

• Upvote 1

I use elder futhark runes according to the method of divination recorded by Tacitus. That is, I gather the runes, pray to the Gods and Ancestors for guidance, then i throw a random handful onto a cloth. I then look to the sky and choose 3 at random, then interpet the three Ive chosen. I dont do "myrkstave" and I dont read the past, present, future style, i simply interpet the runes in relation to one another.

my current set is wood but im not opposed to other mediums.

• Upvote 1

Elder futhark for me. But accasionally may use others, like Alhaint runes. Do not use cloths. Yes, I have set made of beans. :)

• Upvote 1

I use the Elder Futhark. Mine are stones (blue lace agate, to be exact). I tried wood but they didn't feel right in my hands. If I'm doing a full cast, I'll toss them on a cloth but if it's just a one- or three-pull, I'm usually sitting in my recliner so I put them on the arm of the chair. I'm not real formal about it.

Is using specific home made inks something that’s common with crafting runes? Like for instance, adding in a finely ground powdered herb associated with divination to the ink? I’ve wondered about this but I have yet to see anything of the sort.

• Upvote 1

Is using specific home made inks something that’s common with crafting runes? Like for instance, adding in a finely ground powdered herb associated with divination to the ink? I’ve wondered about this but I have yet to see anything of the sort.

not unknown - 'reddening the runes' is a thing. The casters blood added to or laid over the ink if done properly. Or with read ochre and wine if there is a reason to use an alternative.

I could certainly see adding spaygaric tinctures or other substances as being helpful if you were making as set dedicated to read about a particular theme aspect of life.

• Upvote 1

Awesome, I've seen some very interesting hand made sets.

Forgot about this sorry. Will post one, I made a note. LOL. Sucks getting old. 

• Upvote 1

not unknown - 'reddening the runes' is a thing. The casters blood added to or laid over the ink if done properly. Or with read ochre and wine if there is a reason to use an alternative.

I could certainly see adding spaygaric tinctures or other substances as being helpful if you were making as set dedicated to read about a particular theme aspect of life.

You’re full of witchy knowledge aren’t you FT? The redening of the runes is really interesting. And I’ll have to add spaygaric to my vocabulary straight away.

-Edited for grammar

Edited by FancyShadowCat
  • Upvote 1

You’re full of witchy knowledge aren’t you FT? The redening of the runes is really interesting. And I’ll have to add spaygaric to my vocabulary straight away.

-Edited for grammar

I have my moments, it's always good when they turn out not to be senior moments and I share something both accurate AND helpful ;)

The way I've always blooding runes is mixing blood in with wine so you don't have to waste a whole lot. That or not using your own blood! (RIP quail, you were tasty little birds)

Sign in to follow this