Sign in to follow this  
songlore

Moving and Rituals Therewith Associated

I just went through a big move recently. Like this past weekend recently. The short version of that story is: started Ph.D. program, got very sick, could not keep up with program, was diagnosed with a relatively rare immune system disorder - because that's precisely my luck, it can't be anything common and easily fixable - am no longer in Ph.D. program because it's pointless for me to be there until my health is under control. But because I was no longer a student nor was I employed by the university any longer, I ended up moving back home, seven hours from where I had been living. (With my parents for the moment until I find a long-term job and an apartment. Hopefully I will be on my own sooner rather than later, just me and the cats again. I love my family, but I will pull out all my hair if I'm here too long.)

So my question to you guys is, is there anything you do when you go through a big move? Or even a little move? Basically, do you have a specific ritual or routine you do upon inhabiting a new space? Usually I smudge the north, south, east, and west corners of whatever space that happens to be. I may spend some time meditating and just feeling the place out to see what it needs. I also have a pair of statues (they're sort of effigies of guardian spirits that were gifted to me) I keep as close to the door as possible and put up as soon as I possibly can upon arriving. Anybody else do something similar? Something different? Nothing at all? What are your routines for that?

When I moved, I told my house I would be moving. I told my yard and my plants I would be moving. I whispered it to the wind. I gave everyone a heads up so they would know what all the disruption and packing was about. The week before I left I made a spirit house and put it on top of the moving boxes and did a little something, I invited any energies who wished to come with me to go into the spirit house and they would be transported in my car to the new residence. Some people might force them to come, I gave them the option.

When we moved from our last house, I took specific rocks from the garden area that I had enjoyed having around, and also took cuttings or divisions of most of my plants.  I talked to the garden and told it we were leaving, and thanked it for its bounty of flowers, fruit and veggies, and said my goodbyes.  I also said goodbye to the house, especially the areas I'd most been happy in.  When we moved in here, I planted the divisions and cuttings, and put the rocks into places where I would see them and be able to enjoy them.  I felt like I'd made a bit of an emotional bridge from my old place to my new one.  Especially when it came to the garden - it's always hardest for me to leave my gardens.  

• Upvote 1

Well that is a good idea, I am sure your old garden will sadly miss you and I really hope that the new owners will continue to love the garden.

Some of the plants that you are taking with you will miss the old garden too.

• Upvote 2

Well that is a good idea, I am sure your old garden will sadly miss you and I really hope that the new owners will continue to love the garden.

Some of the plants that you are taking with you will miss the old garden too.

It's actually a better environment for most of the things I brought with me.  The hostas are HUGE now, the sweet woodruff has taken over both of the shade beds, the mint is running wild under the cherry trees, the Labrador violets are spreading all over the yard, and my speckled violets are getting to be a foot tall every year.  So nobody's complaining.  :-D

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this