2 replies to this topic

#1 HagaGrimalkin

HagaGrimalkin

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:17 PM

Hi everyone. Is there somebody who worked with hops (humulus lupulus)? I know there are male hop flowers and female hop flowers. Is there a difference between male and female hops in how they work and in the effect it has on the body? Did you find a difference in the magic between those two? Thank you all in advance!

#2 steffykaye

steffykaye

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:52 AM

According to my school information, “Only the female hop flowers are cultivated in order to prevent the ripening of fruits (nuts), which are heavy and of no commercial value. Lupulin, the fine yellow resinous substance of the female flowers from hops, is the constituent that is linked to it’s sedative effects.” This is why the female flowers are typically the only ones used for brewing and for commercial herbal preparations. They have a strong link between creativity and sexuality, often to decrease libido in men and increase it in women and are used in sleep magic and divination related to dreaming.

Most often the male plants are used just for the propagation of the species and the female used for medicinal and magical needs. At least that’s what I’ve always been taught. Would love to know if anyone has any different information.

BTW, hops are not recommended medicinally to those who suffer from depression. Their sedative nature typically worsens depression symptoms.

#3 HagaGrimalkin

HagaGrimalkin

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 06:41 PM

I saw your answer very late, my apologies! Thank you for your input!