11 replies to this topic

#1 FancyShadowCat

FancyShadowCat

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 09:02 PM

Hello all,

I have recently begun delving into Norse paganism and mythology, starting with the book The Viking Spirit by Daniel McCoy. So far while it is an introductory piece, it maintains a scholarly tone which attempts to let the reader know what we do actually know from records and what is so far speculation. I appreciate this honesty in not trying to fabricate more from what we truly have. There are chapters dedicated to cosmology as well as explaining the gods and their richness of character, followed by other spirits believed in by the Norse folk such as the land spirits they recognized. Overall so far I really enjoy this book, however The Viking Spirit is my first venture in this area so I’m not the most able critic.

I wanted to ask (and bring discussion) from some of the others here who follow a path in Norse religions about some other good books to help one delve into the neo-Norse practices as authentically as possible.

Edited for grammar

Edited by FancyShadowCat, 01 August 2019 - 09:03 PM.

#2 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 04:34 PM

Since Norse mythology is historical, just about any book on the subject is helpful.  There are several books out there on Norse shamanism, I own 'Neolithic Shamanism' by Raven Kaldera and Galina Krasskova.  Good one for learning the fundamentals.  Also read whatever you can about Nordic rune systems, which are pivotal to understanding much of the philosophy of the Divine/Human relationships in the Norse culture.

#3 Holdasown

Holdasown

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 12:54 PM

If you like to watch videos, Arith Harger is a great source for Norse myth and separating Christianized myth from what is probably more accurate. 

#4 FancyShadowCat

FancyShadowCat

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:18 AM

Thank you both. I definitely wouldn’t have thought to investigate the runic system as something of great spiritual significance. Though I have read so far that Norse written runes contain the essence of the thing they describe and are in such a way ‘more than just ink on paper’. So I will definitely inspect the runes.

Additionally, I’ve so far encountered some light analysis of Christian influence in some of the sagas. Such as the description of a Norse temple within one saga which according to archaeological evidence did not ever exist. So I really appreciate a source which actively tries to sift out the Christian influences from the mythology :)

Edited for spelling

Edited by FancyShadowCat, 08 August 2019 - 05:19 AM.

#5 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:19 PM

You will find that the Norse pantheon was much more accessible to the common man than a lot of belief systems.  The Norse would curse and bargain with their gods as well as venerate them.  They firmly believed that they took an active part in the daily lives of men.  Compare this to the Greek deities, who viewed humanity as a personal harem or pawns to their games, or Judaism or Christianity where God's word is law, end of discussion.  This close relationship is reflected in Norse art and healing practices as well as day to day magic.

That said, much like the Celts, the Norse were fine to embrace the Christ of Rome as another sacred and powerful entity.

#6 FancyShadowCat

FancyShadowCat

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 03:19 PM

The view of the Norse deities as kin rather than distant rigid dictators is one of several core aspects of the religion that I appreciate. Though maybe unlike the Norse I would rather filter out all of the Christian aspects, as I was raised catholic and I’ve never felt a connection with their entities.

#7 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 04:02 PM

The Norse had been around a very long time before Catholicism.  Remember that the church of Rome was a political tool with religious benefits being incidental.

#8 GhostAndTheWolf

GhostAndTheWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 02:53 PM

ar

Hello all,

I have recently begun delving into Norse paganism and mythology, starting with the book The Viking Spirit by Daniel McCoy. So far while it is an introductory piece, it maintains a scholarly tone which attempts to let the reader know what we do actually know from records and what is so far speculation. I appreciate this honesty in not trying to fabricate more from what we truly have. There are chapters dedicated to cosmology as well as explaining the gods and their richness of character, followed by other spirits believed in by the Norse folk such as the land spirits they recognized. Overall so far I really enjoy this book, however The Viking Spirit is my first venture in this area so I’m not the most able critic.

I wanted to ask (and bring discussion) from some of the others here who follow a path in Norse religions about some other good books to help one delve into the neo-Norse practices as authentically as possible.

Edited for grammar

Very excited to see other going down this path!

Most definitely subscribe to Mr. Arith Harger, he's very active with he content and does his research and is an Icelander he breaks down all the different belief systems within the Norse belief systems lol

and I totally agree on putting a lot of focus and energy into learning your Elder and younger Futhark, a good practice that I've picked up is I write each rune and a brief description of its purposes and what it represents along with which of our gods are tied to it. learn who our gods are spend time thinking on them and what they were back in the "Viking age" and how you can relate to them today.

As far as the Christian bullshit goes, you have to be very careful about anything you read really, they got their peckers in everyone's pie especially from back in these times...rant over.lol

Also, check out musical groups that are in the practice as well if you haven't already... Heilung, Wardruna, Eivor, and Kati Ran. there are several others but these are really good starters.   

You're all a bunch of fuckin assholes, ya know why? you don't have the guts to be what you wanna be.

You need people like me, you need people like me so you can point your fuckin fingers.

and say " That's the bad guy"

So say goodnight to the bad guy!

#9 GhostAndTheWolf

GhostAndTheWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:04 PM

Question for you and anyone else on here if they are willing to share, which do you follow, Vanir Gods or Aesir Gods or both? if this sounds unfamiliar to you Arith goes over all of these with pretty good detail.

You're all a bunch of fuckin assholes, ya know why? you don't have the guts to be what you wanna be.

You need people like me, you need people like me so you can point your fuckin fingers.

and say " That's the bad guy"

So say goodnight to the bad guy!

#10 FancyShadowCat

FancyShadowCat

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 04:30 PM

Question for you and anyone else on here if they are willing to share, which do you follow, Vanir Gods or Aesir Gods or both? if this sounds unfamiliar to you Arith goes over all of these with pretty good detail.

I personally felt a call and strong connection to Freyja, who is the primary reason I began delving into Norse paganism. So I guess you could say she is an ‘in-between’ goddess of the aesir and vanir?

After Freya I think I’ll investigate the rest of the vanir first, as they seemed to have less rigid views on sexuality and gender roles. I’ve been learning from multiple sources that the vikings seemed eager to throw the word ergi around, and as someone who fits the definition of the term ergi pretty well it can be slightly off-putting.

Edited for grammar.

Edited by FancyShadowCat, 12 August 2019 - 04:31 PM.

#11 Seed

Seed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:08 PM

Our Troth parts 1 and 2 by Kvelduff Gundarsson is quite informative on the Norse pantheon.

#12 Holdasown

Holdasown

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:39 AM

I started with Holda and have since added Wodan and Loki specifically regarding divination (tarot). Dunner in relation to fertility. Freyr, Freya and Sunna, Mani on certain holidays. I added Zisa recently to aide in work in my Orlog (shes a counterpart to Tyr) and I have on occasion called in Niorun regarding dream work. I tend to seem drawn to the Vanir more than others but honestly I don't restrict myself to Asa,Vanir or Jotun. If I feel like they might be trying to get my attention or that I might learn from them I will call out to them. But more than the gods my main focus is ancestor work and land vaetter work. I am a witch and animist first to be honest and Holda is easy to work into that. The other gods tend to get treated more formally than her.  She is a a goddess I think of and refer to daily.