• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 08:21 PM

I have had many Cat friends who were of the black variety.  Males and females, short, long, chunky, lazy, inquisitive, energetic, bitchy, perfect blacks and an occasional white patch.  I have also had no less than 3 Tortoishells, all girls, and all with no-bullshit attitudes.  We love our cats, and we love the witchy black cat in the pumpkin patch, but I was intrigued to learn the the oldest witchy tradition goes the Tortie.  perhaps her ability to be perfectly camouflaged or the fact that they are mostly female, or just the sheer 'tortitude' make this believable.  My current couch-napper is Alice.  She isn't sleeping, she's meditating, and that requires alot of treats and brushing.  Anybody else lucky enough to serve as staff to a Tortie?

Attached Files

Edited by Sagefire, 26 July 2019 - 08:41 PM.

#2 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 08:34 PM

My Son has two Torties, both with huge cattitudes, I have a long haired Black male.

#3 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 08:48 PM

I had a long haired black female named Claudiette.  She loved to snooze in the hammock and was forever getting her paws stung by yellowjackets.  Oddly, she was often found hunting and playing in Comfrey and Mugwort patches.

#4 Mona

Mona

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:47 PM

Lovely, cats are great creatures and everyone who has them are lucky. I'm not. Never had a cat, but always liked them. There was a while when I lived in sports club and their cat became my cat. It was siamese cat, quite old, and he became my best mate. I could never leave club without him, he was always in my car, does not matter which car I choosed, he just knew. Cats are great, such a clever and wily people.

#5 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:59 PM

1 tortie called Tabitha, 1 tabbie called Izzy

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#6 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 01:48 AM

I currently share abode with a regal, long-haired black cat, a swaggering tabby with cat-titude to spare &' a sweetly impish long-haired tortoise shell. All have green eyes of varying shades. They all have the Handbook of Feline Rights memorized, chapter & verse & recite from it often. In unison. Off-key.

#7 BlackbirdSong

BlackbirdSong

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 06:48 AM

I made friends with a tortoiseshell and white stray as a child. Now I have two Ragdolls, one’s a seal point tortoiseshell and one is a blue mitted. The Seal point tortie is more sensitive to magic and, interestingly, health issues. She has alerted me regularly to hypoglycaemic episodes and kept telling me a wound on my foot was infected and not healing. I’ve also thought recognising elements in animals can be interesting, you know how astrology is often clear in humans - for example, the broad earthy practical hands or wide set eyes of water - I think it’s beginning to become clearer to me in animals too. It’s interesting to see the expression of their personality through those elements. The seal point tortie is a fire sun sign, but has a lot of air in her. She picks up words and phrases easily, is thoughtful and intelligent and very precise, but has bursts of real playfulness. The blue mitted is an earth sun sign and strongly built with a lot of self-confidence. She isn’t as playful, but is hugely cuddly and responds more to getting involved with things or touch, than words or phrases.

#8 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 02:20 PM

My neighbor has a young black mail with a priest collar named Lucky.  He and my tortie have become friends, to the point that when I stepped out of the shower last night I found him perched serenely on my bathroom sink.

#9 steffykaye

steffykaye

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 10:38 AM

We have a black Japanese bobtail, well she has us as she’s my familiar and pretty much does what she wants, including disappearing sometimes only to reappear in a place we have looked numerous times we finally just stopped and decided she would show up when she was done with whatever task she assigned herself. We also have a tortie that is all attitude. She’s his cat. It’s funny, when we went to the shelter both of them came up to us as if to say, “it’s about time you got here, let’s go home.” They chose us and since day 1 have chosen which of us they actually belong with.

#10 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 05:14 PM

Cats that chose their people always are the best ones. There is an unbreakable bond between you.

#11 Mona

Mona

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 01:35 PM

Dogs do the same, and I believe other animals too. They just look around and choosing the best person. :)

#12 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:09 PM

That is sort of how we met our tortie.  A co-worker had a litter of kittens she was adopting out.  When I inquired as to what color females she had left, she said she only had one, a calico.  We never had a calico before so I was thrown a bit when she came to work with the tortie.  Well, after holding the kitten I couldn't give her back, so....

#13 Jivecat

Jivecat

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 02:18 PM

This is quite funny, as per your title for this thread - I currently have a black, and a tortie! 

Skitz is my short hair male black, I'm smitten with him and he knows it. He has a little white patch on his chest that occasionally looks like a heart. But he's pretty much all mischief, attitude, and skitzo behavior, lol. He usually demands to be with me when I do my workings, but I can't always permit it because he chirps a lot and tries to steal anything he can. 

Ginger is my long hair, fluffy tortie. She is the first tortie I've ever had, and when I rescued her I mistakenly believed her to be a calico until a close friend explained the difference. I had to laugh when I learned about "tortitude" because while she is undeniably sweet and very affectionate, she has a distinct air of haughtiness. She is very petite, and has the most gorgeous, big green owl eyes I've ever seen on a cat. 

I could go on about cats. I've had a few really special ones, and have always had a deep connection with them.

#14 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 06:10 PM

at one time we had 2 torties, 2 blacks and 2 gingers.  The blacks and torties were the girls, the gingers were brothers.  They all got along because the eldest cat was a one eyed tortie named Maggie and she was adopted mama to all of them.  She was built like a tiny raccoon and maybe weighed 8 lbs.  It was funny to see her pin 17 lb Fishbone down and give him a serious grooming!  The young tortie was Cleo and she was the most amazing huntress I had ever known.  She made some nice additions to my skull collection including a rabbit and baby opossum.  They were all farm cats and lived mostly outside by choice.  I loved see the blacks lazing in the pumpkin patch on an October afternoon, or the gingers hunting in the apple orchard in summer.

#15 songlore

songlore

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 06:38 AM

I currently share abode with a regal, long-haired black cat, a swaggering tabby with cat-titude to spare &' a sweetly impish long-haired tortoise shell. All have green eyes of varying shades. They all have the Handbook of Feline Rights memorized, chapter & verse & recite from it often. In unison. Off-key.

This sounds like my two, as far as the off-key recitations of the Handbook of Feline Rights. 😄 I've got a tiny, sassy, female, all black DSH and a big, cuddly, male, very orange, tabby DSH.