Photo
- - - - -

Tree decorated with mirrors, charms, glass, ribbons?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Graeyrain

Graeyrain

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 03:30 AM

I feel like I’m losing my mind. I know I saw a tree like this in one of my neighborhoods one time. And I *know* there is a period film out there that has one in it. But I can’t find any images of this type of tree that I have in my mind, *anywhere*!!!

Usually I’m a decent researcher/googler. I’ve used so many different keywords. The trees are kind of like “fairy trees”. But they have colored glass and mirrors and other sun-catching trinkets hanging from them. Is there some kind of special term for them that I am not using to find photos? Does this type of tree decorating not exist and I made it up in my head? Does *anyone* even know what I’m referring to? Please tell me someone knows what I’m talking about........!

#2 Graeyrain

Graeyrain

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:13 AM

I guess it’s similar to a wishing or clootie tree?

#3 Hunter

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:52 AM

I think I've seen the type you are referring to, but I can't remember where either.

Are you making one? I've thought of making such a decorative tree at home for the sheer wish of it.

Nature is complicated. There are no "rules" & it's only when we understand that that we can truly grow to appreciate it.

#4 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:38 PM

There are a couple up here.  The locals call them 'hex trees'.  I imagine they have many names.  Perfect for warding off the evil eye.

#5 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 04:44 PM

I have seen a clootie trees, hung with ribbons, even an egg tree hung with easter eggs, but not a hex tree, Pennsylvanian Dutch maybe.?
I hang charms from my Apple tree, the Deva like them.

#6 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:44 PM

When I was a kid I would paint runes and sigils on stones and leave them in trees in the woods around our farm.  From time to time I wonder how many have been found or how many are still in place after 40+ years.  If any were found, I wonder about the thoughts of the ones who found them.  I would also make Rowan crosses, God's Eyes, and St. Brigid's crosses and hang them in trees or carve Runes in old fallen trees and stumps.  Mystical graffiti.  I would also carve gourds and turnip punkies and hang them.  I felt like I was a mighty wizard protecting my forest.

#7 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:01 PM

On Midsummer Day I made a Rowan loop to look through, to see the Fairies, alas, none to be found...
I like the idea of painting Runes or Sigils on rocks, Boundary/protection markers would be especially good.
I like how you put it as "Mystical Graffiti"

#8 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:16 PM

Keep trying with the Rowan loop, I am sure that they are watching you with interest.  I always hope that I will come across somebody else's mystical graffiti but alas, none so far.  There is a wild apple tree near me that I often visit with gifts of wine.  If I ever get a visitation I think it will be there.

#9 Graeyrain

Graeyrain

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:08 PM

I think I've seen the type you are referring to, but I can't remember where either.

Are you making one? I've thought of making such a decorative tree at home for the sheer wish of it.

Yes, that’s my intention. My problem is that no one knows what I’m talking about so I was trying to find a photo to show them, but since I can’t find one I’m starting to think I made it up in my head! 🤪

Edited by Graeyrain, 26 July 2019 - 11:09 PM.

#10 Graeyrain

Graeyrain

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:14 PM

There are a couple up here. The locals call them 'hex trees'. I imagine they have many names. Perfect for warding off the evil eye.

I looked up “hex tree” but didn’t see anything like what I’ve seen (not that it’s not true- google doesn’t know everything!). I have found: fairy tree, clootie tree, wishing tree, bottle tree and mardi gras bead tree. Bottle trees are particularly southern and apparently capture evil spirits. I was thinking that what I had in mind would be more like a protection/warding evil eye thing too......

#11 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 04:42 PM

I think anything shiny would work, but it would also scare off birds.

Rowan crosses and carved protective runes are a good idea.

It also helps to leave offerings of tobacco and wine for the fae dwelling in the tree.

#12 Graeyrain

Graeyrain

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:32 PM

Just for the sake of closure and interest, I found the film, and the tree I was looking for. It is what a main character calls a “shrine” but it looks to be a very pretty clootie or wishing tree (cuz it’s in a movie, of course). It is in the middle of the film “A Little Chaos”. It’s a very brief scene and the tree itself doesn’t really push the narrative forward. It’s beautiful though and I took a lot of photos. Thanks for everyone’s help!