Sign in to follow this  
Sagefire

Some of my work...

I'm not sure what you mean by "crimp the loop"? Are you using a crimping tool or can I just pinch it closed with round nose pliers?

I'm going to go back and have another look at your pictures.

• Upvote 1

I just use pliers but I don't squeeze it too tight or it will break the hair.  Just enough to get it pulled into the cone.  A tiny drop of the hair, (the part that goes in the bead) will keep it from shifting around while you work with it.

• Upvote 1

Okay, I think I got it now, the first one will be trial and error, but when I get it done I will post a picture.

Once I find my Silver cone beads and get some semi-precious stone beads with larger holes. I have lots of Charms already.

• Upvote 2

Once you get the first one you realize how easy it is.  I meant to say add a drop of super glue to the part of the tassel going into the cone to keep it manageable. 

• Upvote 1

Good idea about a drop of glue, and I think I will have to watch out for how much hair I use, and not make it too fat.

• Upvote 2

Samhain is definitely around the corner!  Orders for my wands start coming in about this time each year.  Hear are 12 Willows, 6 Weeping and 6 Golden on their way to Blue Eagle Metaphysical Emporium in NM.  Natural and unembellished.  I imagine the buyers prefer to customize their own...

20200917_065434 (1).jpg

• Like 1

i love your wands Sagefire and Onyx. Do you use all of them? It's surprising that people would think wands are fluff, maybe that's just because their image is so saturated in popular culture because I think that they're one of those things that the more you think about them, the more you learn about how many different things they can do.

I have several that I use for different things and have been crafting them since I was a kid.  I think there is a certain prejudice against them amongst traditionalists.  It is true that a large portion of my pieces are bought by Wiccans.  I get more than a few custom requests from LARPers and cos-players, and some are bought by people who collect wands just for their beauty.  I also have several retailers around the country who sell them from storefronts, and who can say where these will end up.

Edited by Sagefire
Spelling
  • Like 1

@Sagefire I think it's cool that different types of people get to experience these beautiful wands you make. I guess I aim to be respectfully critical of Wicca in general, I'm glad my critical inclination doesn't stop me from enjoying ideas that might be associated with it. I think the Wiccan practice of casting circles is kind of silly but then again I do it in my own way every day.

I don't really have any physical objects or tools I use consistently, it's not practical for me at my home life. But I visualise different objects a lot and develop them in my mind. I sometimes use a wand a lot like a seeking stick or dowsing rod or lodestone, to find my way around my own mind. I think if you have a practice relationship with the kind of tool it can be a very personalised kind of practice and work for you really well. A while ago @Zombee was sharing with me some interesting ideas about wands drawing energy, I don't think I ever would have thought of anything like that.

I see them as energy focusing tools.  The wood is chosen for it's magical properties as are crystals/ stones, colors, feathers and symbols like runes or sigils.  For example I have created wands that are specific to protection or healing magic,  or wands custom built for a witch according to associations with birth sign, or pieces for focused elemental work.  It leads me to really learn and pay attention to magical correspondences.

• Like 1

Good job Sagefire!  I just looked up and saw my jar of sticks, waiting to be wands, and my Wands waiting to be used!  I think I just like making them.  They just feel good in my hands.

I think they are my favorite items to make.  I love finding sticks and things.  They just speak to me.  I may pick up a stick or a bone or feather or even a rock on one of my wanderings and not touch it for years.  When I do, it amazes me how it begins to sing as I work with it.  I don't think I 'craft' them, I think I reveal them.  The wand was always there, I just had to let it out.

Lovely work! I've been looking at wands lately, but finding it hard to find one that calls out to me. I'm thinking this will be one item, if I do feel the need for one, that I end up making myself. I'd love to know how you got started with carving... I once tried to do some carving on wooden blocks, just to practice, and sliced my finger pretty bad... so after that I gave up LOL 

Well, basicly you go for a walk in the forest or if you have a favorite tree, you can use a fallen branch or cut one using sharp pruners.  Warn the tree first and after thank it, and leave an offering.  Beer, Milk and honey etc.

Most of the work is peeling off the bark and rounding the ends.  As you work with the wand, you may start to see an animal or marking that suggests something to you.  a few choice cuts in the wood will enhance the likeness to stand out.   Sometimes it does not take a lot of carving.  Use an exacto knife with new blades, a dull blade will only cut you.  A light sanding when the wood has dried.  Paint with acrylic paint or just varnish.  Woodburn it, hang Charms or Feathers off it.  Play with your stick, feel it, get to know it.  Love it.

I posted this photo before, since I did I rounded off the end of the wand, but the face of the owl and his eyes have been carved into the wood.  so it does look better.  Sometimes they become a work in progress...

I bet you can't stop at just one!DSCF1975.thumb.JPG.4a9b67e4366ba0a0bc25330a40d5fbeb.JPG

Edited by Onyx
add photo

Sagefire, can you tell me the average length of your wands?  Tradition says...The wand should be the length from your middle finger to the inside of your elbow.  However, I find that I am likeing a longer wand, my lastest Willow wand is 22 inches long.

I started  a wand last night, Rowen Wood, 22 inches long, rather thick, more masculine in feel.  I left five rings of natural bark on, near the handle.  It has some spurs where the smaller branches were sprouting from.  I will be removing them, as much as possible.

Still, a fair bit of refineing is needed.  I think it will be a good one when finished.  When it is, I will post a photo for you.

Just thinking that if I leave them longer, they can be ajusted to the users preference

Wow you both have created beautiful work!!! Sagefire, I love the charms and  the wood you use, Onyx I too definitely love the primal aspect of yours! 

So I decided not to leave my wand at 22 inches, I cut it down to 15 inches and now I feel it is off balance for it's thickness.  Oh well!  Sometimes things just don't work out very well.  Not to worry, I have lots more sticks to play with.

I might just carve off the bark rings that I have left on.  They did not give me the effect I wanted.  I have a wood burner kit I hav'ent tried out yet, that might do the trick.

Photo so you can see what's going on.  The smaller wand is Holly wood, the large wand is Rowen.

Leave on the bark rings, or get rid of them?

DSCF1991.thumb.JPG.e5b02818cf88f6c6ff0bb9e4ffd95501.JPG

4 hours ago, Onyx said:

So I decided not to leave my wand at 22 inches, I cut it down to 15 inches and now I feel it is off balance for it's thickness.  Oh well!  Sometimes things just don't work out very well.  Not to worry, I have lots more sticks to play with.

I might just carve off the bark rings that I have left on.  They did not give me the effect I wanted.  I have a wood burner kit I hav'ent tried out yet, that might do the trick.

I've been playing around with a woodburning kit myself, it's actually been very satisfying burning marks and making designs emerge from wood 🙂

I think I'm cracking up, the small wand I said was Holly I have marked as Rowen.  It is in fact Holly.  It is from my endless supply of sticks waiting to become...Something.

UnMasked, I hav'ent even opened the package with my Ultimate Crafting Tool, as they call it.  It has 8 metal tips for stencil cutting, soldering, Leather crafts etc.  I think I did buy it to cut Stencils, have not done that either.  At least it is sitting on my desk now, so closer to hand.  It is a fancy little unit!  Maybe I should open the box!  Burn something.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this