• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 10:15 PM

I have been doing something like you describe with my one a day paintings. I have a stack of small ATC size cards and I start with a random swirl of two colors, in fact I did a series of only random abstract cards and then looked at them later and ink pen drew on top.
Some of the different color combinations were very nice. I know the state of mind you are describing, it is the ideal state to create art in.

#22 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 02:07 PM

I have good luck practicing that technique at least 3 time a week.  I have found that because of it, I rarely suffer from creative plateaus or dead phases.

#23 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 04:49 PM

Newest work...

Attached Files

#24 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 05:37 PM

Very nice Sagefire, love the dragon and the owl charms and I recognize a few of those feathers. you are inspiring me to do some more wands.
I have a question about the hair tassel with the tubular top. when you make it do you use the hanging loop at the top to pull in the hair.
Not sure how to explain myself, do you hook the hair in the middle and pull it up tight and then trim it evenly?
I want to try and make some hair tassels with my own hair.

#25 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 07:01 PM

A technical question, very nice.  These show 2 different tassels.  The unicorn wand has a tassel made of mane hair from one of my dad's mares.  To make that one I take a t-post for making earrings, put a loop in it, and thread the hair through the loop.  I then crimp the loop and pull the t-post through a cone bead.  The cone pulls the hair into shape and I can sculpt it with scissors..  I then add a stop-bead, make a tiny loop in the wire, and snip it short.  Add a jump ring and attach it to whatever I am working on.  The black tassels on the dragon and black willow wands are pre-made and attached with jump rings.  I would imagine using your hair would be even easier that horse hair and would make a more luxurious tassel.  I have also used mohair to make them.

You can actually see more examples on my Sagefire page.

#26 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:41 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by "crimp the loop"? Are you using a crimping tool or can I just pinch it closed with round nose pliers?
I'm going to go back and have another look at your pictures.

#27 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 01:13 PM

I just use pliers but I don't squeeze it too tight or it will break the hair.  Just enough to get it pulled into the cone.  A tiny drop of the hair, (the part that goes in the bead) will keep it from shifting around while you work with it.

#28 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:28 PM

Okay, I think I got it now, the first one will be trial and error, but when I get it done I will post a picture.
Once I find my Silver cone beads and get some semi-precious stone beads with larger holes. I have lots of Charms already.

#29 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:01 PM

Once you get the first one you realize how easy it is.  I meant to say add a drop of super glue to the part of the tassel going into the cone to keep it manageable. 

#30 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 07:51 PM

Good idea about a drop of glue, and I think I will have to watch out for how much hair I use, and not make it too fat.