• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 01:36 AM

Dust is the enemy, a soft dry paintbrush is good for brushing off dust from delicate things, Also a hair dryer set on gentle will blow dust off.
Keeping under glass is the safest way to deep thing perfect. Insect damage is also possible with feathers. Parrots mite spray and Borax were recommended on Pintrest.
Personly, I spray my feathers with an Artist quality, Acrylic varnish, smother and kill any critters.

Edited by Onyx, 28 July 2019 - 01:40 AM.

#22 Graeyrain

Graeyrain

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:29 AM

I live in a very urban area and it *is* difficult to acquire things sometimes. Perhaps developing an exchange (a new forum room) would be a good idea? I’m sure I can get things others can’t (live near ocean, graveyard dirt, railroad nails, etc) that I’d be happy to send to help others. I’ve longed for this type of thing.

#23 Mona

Mona

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 02:25 PM

Oh, lucky you, graveyards are great. I have two very close to my place, one just across the road, and another one about 150 yards. I love it is always available. The only thing they close gates at 4pm, but there are always some holes in walls and even without can make it over some 6 feet or so.

#24 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 04:31 PM

We had a poultry farm.  We raised chickens, ducks, turkeys.  We also had plenty of wild ring-necked pheasants and bobwhite quail.  Feathers were plentiful.  Now I hunt and gather for them.

When I lived in my own house back in Latvia, I had chickens, and made a few pictures of feathers. I stretched gauze on the frame and stuck feathers into it. But such pictures should be placed under glass in order to protect them from dust and they are also afraid of sunlight. They just crumble.

I would love to see these pictures.

#25 Mona

Mona

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:36 PM

Sadly I left all of them when left. My mother still have a small one. She keep it on the wall what never sees sunlight, that is what perhaps preserved it for so long years. All the rest are gone forever. There was about 20 of them. All around the house. In this times I was very poor and could not afford anything else. Glass was found in attic. I will take a photo of the last one if got in my mothers house.

#26 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 02:22 PM

Perhaps the time has come for you to begin creating again.  Leave a legacy.

#27 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 08:47 PM

Perhaps the time has come for you to begin creating again.  Leave a legacy.

I have made so much stuff, i guess it is a legacy, or are people just going to say "What the ****!"

#28 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:20 PM

I have made so much stuff, i guess it is a legacy, or are people just going to say "What the ****!"

That is exactly what they SHOULD say, if you do it right.

#29 Mona

Mona

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 04:32 PM

Some how I do not feel for it yet, maybe later. Legacy does not work for me, I'm solitary witch. Some times can to try to explain some things to some one if in good mood, but mainly I'm not :))

#30 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:18 PM

What is to come is always a mystery to us.

You may find one whom you inspire and in turn inspires you.

This is when we grow.

You can walk down the same path in  the same forest every day, and every day discover something new if your eyes and mind are open.  We all leave a legacy, and to whom is not always by our choosing, but when we can impart a small piece of ourselves, then that is success.

Each of us carries within us unlimited power and potential to shape our futures.  To my thinking it is so much better to work with this in mind, and what is discovered by those who follow will be as you wish.

#31 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:57 PM

What is to come is always a mystery to us.
You may find one whom you inspire and in turn inspires you.
This is when we grow.
You can walk down the same path in  the same forest every day, and every day discover something new if your eyes and mind are open.  We all leave a legacy, and to whom is not always by our choosing, but when we can impart a small piece of ourselves, then that is success.
Each of us carries within us unlimited power and potential to shape our futures.  To my thinking it is so much better to work with this in mind, and what is discovered by those who follow will be as you wish.

Well this is beautiful Sagefire, nicely said...

#32 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:47 PM

Thank you Onyx.

It has the further quality of being absolutely true. :)

#33 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 11:19 PM

I live in between, on a farm outside of the rapidly encroaching city.  Moving back to the city soon, though.  I do miss it.

As far as supplies go, there isn't much that I haven't been able to get my hands on, one way or another.  You just have to know the right people.   :D

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning."  - Cormac McCarthy

#34 Jivecat

Jivecat

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 02:48 AM

Well said, Sagefire!  :applause:

I believe similarly. To be able to communicate ourselves, our experience and essence, to another being - is a very sublime thing.

To comprehend another person is equally so.

#35 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 03:58 PM

I firmly believe that our 'legacies' are what we leave in the hearts and minds of others, visual art, writing, teaching and music are part of this.  Despite the limitations of this low-frequency physical plane, we do have the ability to at least partly remain here.

#36 BlackbirdSong

BlackbirdSong

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:04 PM

I was in London, UK until recently. I never had issues collecting what I needed because I modified spells when unable to travel, or made specific trips to collect things. I also worked with the urban spirits - plenty of foxes, rats, mice and birds as well as ancient woodland a walk away. I used building parts and water from the Beverley Brook, which runs below the ground. I also used water from the Thames and smaller rivers or streams near me. I found it fascinating to think of the way we as animals build an environment which provides living space for other animals - we don't always do it well, but it helped me feel connected to Nature and my place in it. I also thought about our social interactions on an animalistic level, the groups we form and how we relate to each other. When I needed to, I ordered things I couldn't collect but a lot of it was from my environment. It was quite London flavoured magic really, dust from the tube, leaves and bark from a large tree outside the Natural History Museum, earth from Hampstead Heath, grave dust and Yew from the local churchyard - things like that. 

However, I could feel my magic changing tune and moved with my family to a village in the UK countryside, near the sea. I know many of my spells will differ here, as the ingredients will, but the whole place has a very different flavour and rhythm which I am learning (and loving). They'll be similar ingredients, like storm water or some plants, but many will be new or used more because they are around more.

Beautiful words about our legacy being a small piece of ourselves. The pictures made of feathers sound wonderful.

[Edited to correct]

Edited by BlackbirdSong, 11 August 2019 - 04:08 PM.

#37 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 05:46 PM

I have always be enchanted by England and you seem to have adapted exceedingly well to your environment, my compliments!

#38 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:23 PM

I've always lived in urban/suburban settings my entire life so my craft has been built around what's available to me. There are no real wilds in my area anyway--the Agriculture industry has ruined natural water features and the land itself. Having mostly always had at least a balcony or yard to work with I've been able to do workings outdoors, although if I were more rural they would probably be less restrained than what I can do now. I'm a pretty practical witch, I don't usually have an issue collecting ingredients. After all, cities have their own offerings as well. Plenty of found treasures have discovered new life in my practice.

I do take time away for myself in the nature preserves and state parks, though, for meditative work and grounding.