26 replies to this topic

#21 nellopea

nellopea

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:26 PM

I’m a bit late in this but I finished up a red and grey herringbone wool cape on winter solstice. I found the luxury fabric for $8 at goodwill and it was just enough to make a full circle below-the-knee hooded cloak. I drafted the pattern myself but it was fairly easy and the whole project was 4-5 hours work, spread out over a few weeks.

I wore it with an old SCA Viking dress and chemise that I made 2 years ago, to our local Norse solstice blot and it kept me incredibly warm. I’m not crazy about the color, but $8 for fancy wool was too good to pass up. I’ll definitely be wearing it for outdoor ritual in colder months from now on. The SCA dresses get worn pretty often for magical work too. In the summer, it is really f$&@ing hot here, so tank tops are de rigeur when working with a group. I have a cute black Stevie Nicks type of shawl that I throw on to make my clothing feel more special. Generally though, handmade things feel the most special to me. Attached File  8A422CD4-3E1B-45FC-88AB-48CF7A2B5A5D.jpeg   70.94KB   0 downloads

#22 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 05:08 PM

Very nice work!

#23 woodwitchofthewest

woodwitchofthewest

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 07:22 PM

I have a lovely "breen" (brown/green) woolen cloak with a hood that I wear sometimes.  It's a good way to stay warm outdoors in a drizzly climate.  

If I were more clever, something interesting would appear here...

#24 woodwitchofthewest

woodwitchofthewest

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 07:25 PM

I’m a bit late in this but I finished up a red and grey herringbone wool cape on winter solstice. I found the luxury fabric for $8 at goodwill and it was just enough to make a full circle below-the-knee hooded cloak. I drafted the pattern myself but it was fairly easy and the whole project was 4-5 hours work, spread out over a few weeks.

That's beautiful, nellopea!  

If I were more clever, something interesting would appear here...

#25 nellopea

nellopea

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:07 PM

Thank you SageFire and woodwitchofwest. Why do my photo uploads always turn themselves sideways here?

#26 phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 04:23 AM

Wow, nellopea, amazing work!!! Manifesting the material (someone totally left it there just for you) and obviously the sewng! What a great skill to have.

I am all about the cloak. My lifestyle and storage space is such that for the most part I have one main outfit that gets modified by season, so I don't have special ritual clothing vs everyday clothing. I was gifted a polyester black one about 7 or 8 years ago that got me through a lot, but I had to get rid of it for a few reasons, one being that the years took its toll and it smelt of mold, and I just couldn't take it anymore. I was sad about it because I had modified it, but, it had to go. I was not happy with the fact that it was full polyester either, because I work very close with bonfires during ritual and natural fibers are a necessity, otherwise the material melts. Some of the portions of that fabric were actually "hardened" from melting. And, it did not have a proper hood, which was a severe drawback. I needed an upgrade badly! So, I gave up my old one in hopes that it would clear the space for a new one.

Lucky me because I just was able to finally order another one, this one a 55% wool 45% acrylic blend. I couldn't find full wool in my price range to my liking/needs. I did find some beautiful full wool full circle ones made in Europe, but I couldn't wait the weeks necessary for them to be made and shipped. So both my old cloak and new one are oval. Not sure if the old one was full but the new one is. Another reason why I was into the oval: I've worn it before, so it will feel familiar to me. I have not received it in the mail yet, but it should be coming soon and I am so excited! I chose grey this time because much of my outfit has morphed into grey, and I wanted to match myself!

I still can't figure out why the coat became popular. As far as keeping a person warm goes, they are much less efficient. A cloak over ponchos and skirts creates its own micro-environment of warmth. And, I get pretty tired of feeling like Marshmallow Woman with heavy coat arms. My dexterity suffers with coats, but with a cloak, especially a full oval, my arms are much freer. Also, a coat requires many more steps, and precision of movement, to put on. A cloak only requires one fluid movement (ok, two, with clasp or tie/wraparound). I like being able to remove or put on my outerwear with absolute minimum of effort, and being able to drape the item rather than have to hang it (do I ever despise having to hang bulky items on hangers...) CloakGirl4Life over here :wickedwitch:

Edited by phantasmagoria, 03 January 2020 - 11:33 PM.

#27 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:03 PM

What a beautiful cloak!  Well done!