19 replies to this topic

#1 Hunter

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:13 PM

I'm curious, do any of you ever don outfits such as cloaks?

I've actually been looking at cloaks thinking they look more practical for me than a coat in general because I tend to wear dresses at lot & I hate the underarms on garments. A cloak would cover me without being under my arms & I'm sure a thick cloak wrapped around me would be quite lovely & warm in winter.

I'm not too bothered about the public luckily, I just don't care. 🤗🧙🏻‍♀️ I'll wear what I like.

I don't own any sole "witchy" clothes at the moment. I'm wondering what all of your experiences are?

I'm guessing many save their robes & such for rituals & other occasions?

Kind regards all!

Nature is complicated. There are no "rules" & it's only when we understand that that we can truly grow to appreciate it.

#2 Mona

Mona

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 03:19 PM

The main witchy wear for me is Muslim head wear kind like a bonnet. I have to hide my white hear to make sure I do not get attention of passing public. Love to wear at night my mans old rain jacket what has plenty roomy pockets. Also it has a hood.

#3 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 04:35 PM

I'm usually in black anyway, but in the summer it can get pretty hot.  So I'll add some blue.

I have a cloak, I used to wear it on a regular basis, my ex Mother in Law was kind enough to make it for me, I love it and only wear it on Halloween now, goes with my witch costume, made from my regular clothes.  I am a Solitary witch, I don't dress to do magic and I don't participate in group activites so I don't have to be  ceremonial or formal.

#4 Jivecat

Jivecat

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:25 PM

I've actually been thinking about making a cloak to wear during my rituals. I don't really do ceremonial magic either, so it's more for fun and to help get into the "mood." Also, I'm a very tactile person, so I feel the weight of it will hopefully have a calming effect as well, since sometimes I get a little jittery during workings.
That said, I keep daydreaming about embellishing the cloak. :) The act of creating it is probably a great opportunity to work on enchanting and meditation, too.
But for regular wear - I'm totally thinking about making some everyday cloaks. I'll be moving to the North Eastern US soon, so happily will have plenty of opportunity to actually wear them. I've long thought fashion needs a reprisal of sweet historical influence, so I'm not too worried about what normie folks will think of it ;)

#5 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:25 PM

Wear what you like! Wear it with flair! You will look fabulous!

#6 RavenMoon

RavenMoon

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 11:50 PM

I have a pretty satin purple robe I like to wear when i am doing magic but it’s very lightweight. I’ve been thinking about making myself a warm cloak for winter in the same purple.

#7 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:56 AM

I made a hooded and dagged robe to wear when i was working with a group, I haven't worn it since.
Arguably my main garment when working is a calf length oilskin jacket - warm, wateproof, plenty of pockets, and blends well.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#8 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:33 PM

In my early Wiccan days I'd had a hooded kaftan I'd tried to use for ritual - totally useless. At the time I'd practiced in an attic & between low ceiling beams & a long skirt I could barely move. : / Outdoors I dress comfortably for the weather & inconspicuously due to city neighbors. I've felt that costumes are for role playing to get in the zone & have a minor usefulness as self-hypnotic tools. Ritual masks fall in the same category of setting the stage. Hand making the mask helps open the way for connecting to that spirit.

A gal I know wears a knee length, cape (poncho-style that throws on over the head) that she bought when visiting Ireland. It's simple, elegant. I'd love to have one for daily winter-weather wear!

Edited by Zombee, 17 July 2019 - 07:47 PM.

#9 Khundekling

Khundekling

Huge Member

• Moderators
  • 490 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:54 PM

Did you see this thread?

http://www.tradition...oak#entry188281

life is better with a biscuit

#10 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:24 PM

Many years ago a Native friend of mine gave me a necklace comprised of natural turquoise, bear, coyote, and buffalo teeth and 4 turtle claws.  It gives me a very strong sense of protection and strength.  Often it is the only thing I wear while I practice.

#11 Jivecat

Jivecat

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 03:21 PM

@Khundelking - Thank you for sharing the link to the other thread. I would really love to see some of the garments/jewelry that members have made or acquired and use in their workings! 

I forgot to mention that I do wear an onyx pendant from Mexico, during my workings, that has the tetragrammaton on the back... I'm not Jewish, so I started doing some research about it. Turns out, the four letters of the tetragrammaton, "form the root meaning "to be," and some have understood the original meaning to be "He-Who-Is," or "He who brings being into being." (https://www.myjewish...tetragrammaton/) < Citation, if you wish to read about it).

Onyx is known for its powerful energy and protective properties (among other things), so the perspective I've decided to take regarding the pendant is such that (since I don't really ascribe to deities) "I am the being that's bringing things into being" via intent, etc., and respectfully view the tetragrammaton as a powerful symbol of protection and creation. Additionally, I read that the symbol was used by Lilith to transform herself into a witch...so, there's that, too. 

--edited cause my copy/paste quote vanished upon publishing. 

Edited by Jivecat, 23 July 2019 - 03:24 PM.

#12 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:27 PM

I have a Moonstone pendant that I wear everyday. It has a lovely blue glow and feels very witchy. Moonstone protects me as I travel.

#13 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:46 PM

Sometimes when I go into the woods for night workings I will wear my kilt and buckskin mocs, i just try to avoid the thistle patches.

#14 Mona

Mona

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 10:16 PM

I do not wear any stuff usually, no stones, no others. The only thing I wear is a locket ring when working with dead. It was given to me by death and it is not so much as protection as it is for response and acceptance.  

#15 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 04:54 PM

I do not wear any stuff usually, no stones, no others. The only thing I wear is a locket ring when working with dead. It was given to me by death and it is not so much as protection as it is for response and acceptance.

Do you have photos in your Locket Ring?

#16 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 02:23 PM

What metal is it made of?

#17 HagaGrimalkin

HagaGrimalkin

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:04 PM

I don't have special clothes for it, I'm just solitair and perform magic where and whenever I want. But I tend to do magic and trance traveling/ hedgeriding upstairs in the evenings when it is dark, so often I wear one of my night dresses so I won't be naked and / or getting cold.

#18 Mona

Mona

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:09 PM

Do you have photos in your Locket Ring?

No, I have a small bit of dust in it.

What metal is it made of?

It is silver with onyx top.
I do like silver, most of my metallic things are silver.

Edited by Mona, 10 September 2019 - 06:14 PM.

#19 Mona

Mona

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:35 PM

Sometimes when I go into the woods for night workings I will wear my kilt and buckskin mocs, i just try to avoid the thistle patches.

Are you wearing kilt Scottish style or continental? I mean Scots has nothing under it. So do I as I'm Scottish now.

#20 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:49 PM

Scottish of course.

If I wore anything beneath it it would be a skirt.