8 replies to this topic

#1 Hunter

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:13 AM

A couple of years ago I adopted a dog which was named Lewis. I aptly renamed him Lucas... he is a husky x german shepherd with hetoracromia eyes.

This dog was 8 months old when I adopted him & his anxiety is ridiculous. He's 3 years old now. We have gone through the physical & behavioural experts amongst trying everything ourselves & they are baffled. I am not inexperienced with dogs, have owned various breeds through my life. I currently have 2 dogs, a male German Shepherd who's as good as gold (also adopted) & then Lucas. There's something in this dog that's very disturbed. I was forced to buy a crate (I dislike crating) due to the high levels of damage he was doing to my boat when alone even for short periods. In the past he has ripped the interior apart, broken a window, ripped cupboard doors off etc. I researched the breed, however this dog goes beyond what even standard husky owners experience. He is wary of anything he's unfamiliar with. He's well trained & does commands.

I'm now looking at treating him holistically as all else has failed. He's got a clean bill of health from the vet. The behavioural trainers (he's had at least 10) all ended shrugging their shoulders with no answers, it's just something in his past they all said. He had at least 4 other owners prior to me & was passed on over & over due to his behaviour.

He's a good dog, but no amount of training & routine has fixed his anxiety. He just cries constantly when left alone & destroys anything he can reach. I opened the door once & he was digging at the floor off his crate making loud crying sounds - he was so in his own mind he didn't even notice me walk in the room. When he cries he sounds like a trapped animal in pain. He doesn't stop either, he just goes on & on whenever he's left alone.

Crating him has been effective in stopping the destruction (thankfully) but I'm researching into calming herbs for him because you can hear him crying outside & people think I'm killing him when I've just nipped out for 10 minutes. I can't take him with me, he goes hysterical the moment he's left & as I've said, he cannot be trusted around people. I've tried socializing him with a box muzzle etc for 2 years with very minimal results, he's unpredictable with people. Loves other dogs though & he's lovely with family.

I did rehome him once, it was a vetted experienced home & it still ended in disastor. The guy (who was an active single man who tried all sorts with him) just could not cope & was going to send him to a charity if I hadn't have had him back.

I've got several ideas currently to try. As I say, we've tried all the physical changes. The dog's got mental health issues. We've moved home twice, he's the same no matter where he is.

Nature is complicated. There are no "rules" & it's only when we understand that that we can truly grow to appreciate it.

#2 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 04:51 PM

Sounds like you have a big problem, have you tried Valium? For the dog, not you!

#3 Hunter

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:42 PM

Oh, I thought I might add some of what I'm going to try. I live on a boat that's being rewired (not due to the dog) & these are the things I'm considering. He has two rats in the boat with him, but he ignores their company unfortunately.

• Radio on when I leave with calming music.
• Relaxing scents.
• Dimmed lighting so he feels safe.

A friend suggested CBD oil (which is legal here) but I'm not sure if that would help or not before leaving.

I'm also going to do a spell to try & calm his mind a little, I'm not sure whether a spell to forget or erase the past memories would work combined with a spell to soothe the electrical impulses in his brain, but something along those lines I'm going to try.

He's not been on anything Onyx, we've tried to avoid drugs where-ever we could, but he's a bad case.

Nature is complicated. There are no "rules" & it's only when we understand that that we can truly grow to appreciate it.

#4 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 11:59 PM

Music on is a good idea and also wear an old tee shirt overnight and then leave it with him. Your scent will be comforting.

#5 FancyShadowCat

FancyShadowCat

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:11 PM

There are also some calming dog treats you can buy. My mom bought some with a good amount of herbs and I believe she’s satisfied with the results. And if you do cast with candle magic I’d be careful to not leave it around your dog.

#6 Hunter

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:52 PM

Onyx, he just rips them apart screaming. Tried that unfortunately.

Fancyshadowcat, don't worry. There may be some dumb folk about, but I'm not one of them. The boat has 7 fire extinguishers & we are VERY conscious of fire risks because they are notoriously common on boats along with CO2 poisoning due to the use of gas, candles, woodburners etc. So we are very aware of safety.

Damon, our new companion tried calming him down yesterday. I'm not 100% sure what she is (some kind of faire fae I think) but she's been being helpful & pretty communicative, although she is VERY shy I did get a quick glance at her yesterday as she flew out from behind the gas locker & out through a hole with a vent. You'd have thought I imagined it, but I heard her fly out as well as saw her for a split second as a fast white ball of light. She'd just returned my tobacco onto the table after hiding it because I was smoking too much & yesterday she brought me a feather I'd been looking everywhere for. Again, left it on the table for me. She can't be around all the time though, she probably also has a life outside of the boat.

I invited her in, as long as she is a friend & not a foe I have no issue with the fae. I am not afraid of the spirits either. Maybe I should be, but something tells me that like people they vary up & down the board. I simply cannot discriminate an entire species due to legends & myths. The worst they can do is kill me & then I join them. I know evil exists, I've seen it unfortunately. For whatever reason, some souls just can't see the good in anything & they can't be helped AT THAT TIME. I'm confident that evil souls turn good just as good souls become evil, although the exact cause of both eludes me, it just seems to be a part of their evolution.

I'm confident of my own abilities & mind however & this fae I think may be seeking a place to feel safe as well as she is curious. Something tells me she is only interested because of my ties to nature & she may have not met a witch. We are in the middle of farmland. She told me she was a fae & female through the tarot, but time will tell if she is a good friend or not. My boyfriend wanted me to banish her from my boat, but I will not. I do not get the impression she is bad & I like the company of animals & other entities, although he is superstitious & has told me to keep everything magickal away from his boat. He doesn't want it in his life, nor nor does he understand it.

Back to the dog... he is only quiet when I or the other dog is present. He's getting used to the fae, but I can hear when the moment she leaves him that he cries again.

I'm going to try a few things as I say. I'll update on how they go.

#7 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:05 PM

Another oompanion dog may be the answer, perhaps he has separation anxiety.

#8 nellopea

nellopea

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 03:56 PM

Bach’s Flower Essences makes a formula to calm nervous dogs. I’ve heard good things about it. There are other sprays you can get through a vet or online that supposedly calm dogs. My cat was given a spray by our vet when we first adopted him, to calm him and to help him transition into a house already full of other pets.

I’ve used Valium before for an anxious, aggressive cat, and while it certainly chilled him out, he was really unhappy being drugged. I’d think twice before giving any pet Valium again. One last recommendation. Dogs can take Prozac. He may be suffering from separation anxiety and your vet might be willing to try Prozac if nothing else is working.

#9 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 05:02 PM

A friend suggested CBD oil (which is legal here) but I'm not sure if that would help or not before leaving.

I have a friend who does rescue work with abused dogs, and the CBD chewies work a treat!  Definitely worth trying, I think.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning."  - Cormac McCarthy