• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BriarCat

BriarCat

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 03:15 PM

I've been debating what to post, looking for something useful in myself that might be useful to others. So here it is a bit of magic in something seemingly mundane.

I've noticed that many a crafty person, older women and recently quite a few people in general crochet and knit. With the advent of those little plastic loom kits that are popping up all over its actually becoming quite common place. Here in my local library even though the metaphysical section has a total of one book, the knitting section has several books about finding yourself through knitting, guided meditations, and other such seeking type books.

Its something I do, something I do well and I've as of recently started taking a deeper look at it. A much older post here mentions weaving as part of women's mysteries and something sacred. (link to article at bottle for quick reference) Of course in this day and age there is certainly no gender restrictions on any type of creative work unless it is imposed upon you by yourself doubts or the community setting you live in. 

But have we ever thought to stop and think why these types of mysteries are hidden in the seemingly mundane. The majority of us have seen what the witch trials did, some of us have experience the discrimination if we are to open in our areas about what we do. If it is a secret something we know that we are doing that is acceptable to a public eye then we never have to worry about being snatched up and put on trial.

We as witches (if you choose to call yourself that) are by nature weavers, we weave the profane into the mundane. Weave our true selves into ordinary every day life. A quick whisper of words or something we are gifting to another, the careful selection of herbs that we put into our food, the well wishes and careful things we say to our children.

There are many ways that magic can be incorporated into any type of yarn work. From simply making knots, counting out a measured length to set something in motion. To the large scale project that we devote large amounts of time to. Anyone who has spent time knitting or crocheting anything more than a pot holder knows that you can spend hours upon hours of your time making sure the stitches are correct, counting to make sure you have not lost or gained a stitch, or if you have either frogging (pulling out the thread) the peace or working around your mistake. 

These projects can very much go both ways. A seemingly harmless gift of a scarf could be given to someone whose words you want to bind, think of how much energy is in all of the stitches that they are haphazardly wrapping around their neck. It can also be given in love. I am currently working on two baby blankets for the twins I will be having in November. All of my heart goes into these things, making sure that I am thinking of the babies health, and safety as well as just how much I love these little ones.

So there you have it, a little bit of magic in something that appears to be mundane. But I assure you it can be so so much more. 

http://www.tradition...ry/?hl=spinning here is that post for reference}

#2 Kathen

Kathen

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 06:19 PM

Excellent post! This is exactly why I started wanting to learn more about folk magic. Beautifully written, I appreciated this.

(I posted a reply earlier but I don’t think it went through. So if two show up..my bad)

#3 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:50 PM

Yes, a nice post and it is true that weaving is a true skill, my Auntie was a great knitter, and made the most beautiful Arran sweaters.  Alas, Knitting is not a skill I posses, but I can sit for hours painting, and I find the hours just slip by, almost like a meditation.  

#4 CoastalWitch

CoastalWitch

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:57 PM

My Nan used to sit for hours crocheting, putting her intentions for whom the project was meant into the piece. I find myself doing the same with the meals I cook and the jewelry I make. I'd think anything of this nature can be imprinted with a charm.

#5 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 10:03 PM

I think that is so true, especially when you are making something for a friend or family member, you can put all sorts of good intentions into the object.  Even include a rune or sigil.  Protection or good luck can be drawn on a personal item with water.