• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Poking not recommended

• Moderators
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:33 PM

I've done some magical planting this year. Many ingredients that compost well in soil also have plenty of magical uses; it's a perfect setup to grow your magic and feed your plant. 

Growing plants in magical substrate is a way to transfigure energy. Whatever energy you use to feed the plant is then utilized for growth and turned into something beautiful, medicinal, or edible. It transforms death into life, and is an excellent way to watch the Wheel in action. It is also a form of passive spell casting - you don't put in much more energy than the mundane work needed (unless you want to, of course) and the plant does all the work. It's a good way to build a plant ally as well.

Some things I use in my plantings (by no means an exhaustive list):

Eggshells - opportunity, growth, the unknown, birth

Coffee - stimulating, re-energizing, a good connection to what is a daily ritual for many, you can also use another's old coffee grounds as a taglock (what they have consumed the plant now consumes)

Bone dust - need I say more? Connection to the animal that passed, death in general, necromancy, changing the tides of a static path/dead end

Ashes - any ashes! Ashes from old workings, ashes from burnt objects, burying curses and creating opportunity for yourself, the list goes on eternally

Worm and insect casings - very nutritious, good for feeding spells, good to network or protect your land

If you have others, I'd love to hear them!

RSKHFMY

#2 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:45 AM

I have in the past literally composted negative/unhelpful energy, feeling, attitudes etc - sent them to my compost heaps to be broken down with all the other weeds and muck and be transformed into something useful for growth.

I can see how using physical manifestations of these things could make the practice even more effective however, thanks for the idea!

I also have grown wards or certain plants, each with offerings under it to strengthen them.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#3 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Poking not recommended

• Moderators
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:25 PM

Yes I have done that as well, it makes an excellent foundation ward. Come to think of it, why haven’t I done this for a perimeter working? Hmm....

RSKHFMY

#4 GrayLady

GrayLady

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 04:02 PM

Do you have suggestions for natural weed killers?

#5 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 05:31 AM

Do you have suggestions for natural weed killers?

I've used vinegar as a natural weed killer, but thinking on it, I've never actually researched the full effect of it on the environment. 

#6 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 08:15 AM

I've used vinegar as a natural weed killer, but thinking on it, I've never actually researched the full effect of it on the environment. 

Vinegar is ok - It will breakdown to water and metabolites fairly quickly. It will only work on the top parts of plants, and will work far and away best on a hot day.

Don't use any recipe that contains salt (Epsom or otherwise) used regularly it will build up in your soil creating an irredeemably barren wasteland.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#7 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 04:24 PM

"They" say to add a little original Dawn dishwashing liquid to the vinegar - the kind that breaks down grease. That will break down the plant's natural oils to allow the vinegar to work. 

That said, I tried that on all the 'weeds' in my gravel driveway. Didn't work worth a damn. I end up manually pulling everything. A chore but at least it's natural!

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#8 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 12:05 PM

I like the way your thinking there Ravenshaw.

Lilac – for will to thrive and passion for life.

Bay laurel – for protection and connection to spirits.

Pig bones or blood – to find nourishment and strength against the odds.

Pine cone – for rebirth and virility in pollination. Could be a nice complement to eggshell.

I enjoyed the coffee comment. Its hard to beat sharing a meal.

I've used dawn and distilled vinegar. It worked but took a lot. I think it dissipates to quickly. I don't use weed killer much these days, but if I run into a need again I may try adding plant glycerin to stabilize and help it stick to the weed.

Drive way or sidewalk cracks I'd soak a hand towel with it and ball it on it a few hours.

My grandmother used tobacco tea. A tobacco vinegar decoction, with Dawn and/or glycerin should work well.

#9 CoastalWitch

CoastalWitch

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:23 PM

Fish blood & scales--joyful, abundant harvest

Blood meal (or just blood)--ties the grower to the harvest, sacrifice to reaping

Tea--much in the way you use coffee

#10 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:58 PM

I crushed up all my saved egg shells with my mortar and pestle, I felt like an alchemist, then I added them to my old used coffee grounds, and sprinkled them around the garden.

#11 FancyShadowCat

FancyShadowCat

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 12:48 AM

I really enjoy this topic because I love working with my plants. Typically I simply bless the plant with prosperity and vitality as it is planted, especially if it was close to death where it was previously. And though the egg shell idea has crossed my mind before the other ones are completely new to me.

On the topic of magical gardening, I have been wondering if giving offerings to your plants in exchange for assistance is common. And if so, do any of you often use the above ideas as such an exchange?

#12 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 06:11 PM

Foxgloves can be used to make wishes, insert all your fingers of one hand into the bells of the Foxglove and make a wish.  I always knock gently on the Foxglove to warn the Bees first.  You don't want to poke a Bee Butt.Attached File  DSCF1648.JPG   182.14KB   0 downloads

#13 Seddna

Seddna

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 08:18 AM

I find that planting seeds on Candlemass is a good way to bring around your spell work for a through-out-the-year working.

I generally plant corresponding plants to the work that I want to manifest throughout the year. I feel that it is best to use herbs and edible plants and you can then take from the plant to use in your cooking or spell work when you feel your magic needs a 'boost' of a particular kind.

#14 Sagefire

Sagefire

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 04:49 PM

Wow!

Amazing suggestions all!

I often add a little offering tobacco to the soil when I transplant and frequently offer small amounts of milk and red wine to the roots of my plants, in the house and garden alike.  Every one of my potted friends is protected by a rune or sigil stone as well.

#15 Mona

Mona

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 09:58 PM

My mother used CocaCola in her garden to kill bugs on beans and cbbage. 

#16 StJohn

StJohn

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 03:05 AM

*stares in plant killer*

(good reading, though I usually settle for what I can buy dried up and processed)

אל תפחד