• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Nando

Nando

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:08 PM

This is probably just some undiagnosed psychological weird thing but I can’t find anything on it.

Since I was a child, I have hated metal. I hate to hold coins, I refuse to get piercings (my parents tried when I was 2 to peirce my eyes and I wailed until they gave up.) I hate to use silverware. (I only use chopstick or wooden spoon) I even hate the sound of metal windchimes. Teeth grinding hatred. Clothing with excess metal or dangling metal is disgusting to me.

I was just reminded of how not normal that is and was wondering if anyone knew any lore, or has any witchy theories on it.

Thanks!

#2 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:52 PM

The only thing that springs to mind is the lore about babies being carted off by the Gentry and being switched with one of their own. A wee bit hard to believe, though, don't you think?

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning."  - Cormac McCarthy

#3 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 03:10 PM

I despise plastic, always have! However I have no problems with metal.

#4 Gyreleaf

Gyreleaf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 07:31 PM

Sounds like some form of metallophobia.

#5 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 12:17 PM

Yeah Aurelian you've got to watch out for the tricky folk.

Never can tell. Some folks just seem to have bad relationships with some materials.

I've also known a very few with something like an allergy to some metals. It'd give them a rash or infection from skin contact. I don't know much about it I think its tagged as a “hypersensitivity” or something on those lines.

Or maybe its just off putting. My sister even touches Styrofoam it hits her last nerve and makes her skin crawl. No end of fun growing up. A lot of folks can't deal with aluminum foil on their teeth or touching velvet. That's what I would think.

#6 BlackbirdSong

BlackbirdSong

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:31 AM

As a thought, I know there’s a thread on here that has some discussion about metal alone versus metal alongside other natural compounds etc. So for example, metal in soil versus a metal horseshoe. It was in relation to the fair folk. There seems to be a difference between the lore of iron influenced by man compared to that found in nature to what they can deal with. This seems similar to yours, though I’m not implying you’re a changeling Just interesting. Have you found this response to metal in a more natural form or only man made? Sometimes I think it can just be an aversion, but for fun, to look in a witchy way, it’s possible there’s a link to how that particular material holds energies and memories of those who touched it, or maybe the energy of the material itself.i know we see this a lot with types of crystals and gems, for me opal is soothing and empowering whereas I know some people hate it, but obsidian for me makes me feel flat and depressed. That varies with each different stone I encounter within those categories, but could it possibly be the way your own energies interact with that of the metals? It might be interesting to see if it differs between types of metals and if different ones bring out different emotions or feelings.

#7 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 03:05 PM

I refuse to get piercings (my parents tried when I was 2 to peirce my eyes and I wailed until they gave up.)

What the hell do you mean by piercing your eyes?

#8 BlackbirdSong

BlackbirdSong

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:11 AM

What the hell do you mean by piercing your eyes?

:lol:  I'm definitely hoping that was an autocorrect fail! 

#9 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 03:33 PM

Yea - did you mean eyebrows?

Re: metal sensitivity

I share your dislike of handling coins. I don't wear jewelry unless it's gold-plated. I also dislike touching silver, aluminum and iron. I had an allergic reaction (contact dermatitis) to the old-time metal snaps & once when I'd gotten a sliver from cast iron cook wear. Handling iron actually makes my hands feel like they're sunburned. If the cast iron pot is ceramic coated I'm OK handling it. This makes having a quaint cauldron tricky unless it has a handle. Iron is magnetic & is useful in brewing to release the essence of the plant materials into the brew. In folklore the Fay are said to be repelled by iron because it disrupts their ability to hold a shape & to go "between".

A Faraday cage is made of multiple strands of metal wires - mostly copper. Studies of psychics at Stanford Research Institute used the Faraday cage to isolate test subjects. Using a copper bowl for water gazing enhances the psychic intuitive flow. Man-made "gold-stone" (that sparkly brown glass) has copper in it & can be used to aid telepathy.

I think the physical sensitivity to metal is related to electro-magnetic properties of energy. Ley-lines are energy conduits across the planet. Telluric energies that exist about 8 or so inches beneath the surface are said in Faery Faith to carry elemental energies. I have only read that little bit in folklore on it. I was drawn to it because I have seen the blue lines of energy move across the ground especially around natural springs. I got knocked out of body by a pulse that passed under my feet. It didn't hurt & was interesting & is what brought me to this path to find out what hit me. Robert Cochran recommened that a Stang have an iron foot; would that be to attract these same energies? Ive seen the blue energy climb the Stang like a caduceus & split into what I think are (-/+) polarities at the 2 prongs. Hymm. So is that what the staff is physically used for? It fits the symbolism.

Anyways, I think that maybe this physical sensitivity to metal is related to energy-sensitivity and maybe it's an awareness that's seldom used in modern society. It's like someone who lives in the Bush can sense or smell a predator at 100 yards as a survival instinct. City dwellers don't need the awareness so it's dormant but still present. I'm thinking energy sensitivity is a natural sensory ability of our bodies that is suppressed in modern living. It's nothing abnormal but instead is quite natural.

I also experience discomfort when within spittin' distance of those giant electrical power towers. It makes my scalp itch, nose tingle & my teeth buzz. The main freeway where I live passes very near a line of power towers. I cringe every time I drive that part of the hiway. And that's got to be EMF leakage so it's a measurable & real physical thing.

So Nando, you aren't alone with metal sensitivities. Have you connected it to anything else?

Edited by Zombee, 25 July 2019 - 08:55 AM.

#10 Myradin

Myradin

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 04:21 PM

In the Chinese Zodiac I am a Metal Monkey and I truly have an affinity for all things metal. I love my cast iron.

I would be curious to see what elemental sign you are paired with on the Chinese Zodiac to see if that is influencing your metal sensitivity. My mom is also very sensitive and metal corrodes when she wears it.

The exception for me would be watches, if I don't have a rubber buffer between my skin and the watch back then my body will drain the watch battery. I'm too grounded :D

#11 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 04:40 PM

Your comment reminded me that one of my long ago college room mates couldn't wear a watch. They'd stop dead in 5 minutes but restarted with someone else or when she's put it in her purse.. I'd tease her & ask what took her so long? It always got a baleful look. I'm talking about the wind-up type watches.

Edited by Zombee, 07 July 2019 - 04:48 PM.