• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 VedgeWitch

VedgeWitch

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:17 PM

I've never really had an affinity for tarot specifically. I lucked out and found an oracle deck that basically screamed at me every time I went into my local shop until I finally bought it. Every single reading I have done for other people has been spot on, though per clients, almost brutally honest. That being said, I had never successfully read for myself until burning gum arabic and calling on ancestors for support. Since employing this method, I've had two accurate readings. Does anyone else have this issue? I've been told that some decks, whether oracle or tarot are just finicky. Some will only work for the reader, some will only work for the clients. I'm happy to have found a solution for my particular problem, but I'm curious as to others' thoughts on the issue. Does anyone else have a hard time reading themselves? 

#2 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:34 PM

Hello VedgeWitch

I don't know if this is what your looking for, but it's what came to mind reading your post.

I've found that some traditions warn against using specific tools of divination for reading ones self. I can speak best to my local tradition that includes most forms of card divination. They says it would be inaccurate or even dangerous. While on the other hand tools like pendulums say are commonly used for this.

When I was growing up I figured it was just a taboo or superstition. One of those things to stop someone that knows just enough to hurt themselves. Particularly as it didn't seem to apply to those with enough experience with divination. That didn't stop difficulty or corruption of the work when experimenting with it. After learning from mentors from other traditions and studying divination in ancient civilizations I'm thinking it was more than taboo.

Seems to me, at least around here it had more to do with fundamentals of the methods. Things like abundant use of cards in spells, the way we traditionally learn to use them, and the common interactions in spiritwork, seem to come into play.

I suppose what I'm saying is that I find folks from two different traditions can sit down with there cards and get the same reading, or close enough. While fundamentally getting there by different methods.

So it could be taking another look at your fundamental methods might help. That is determining your process and why it should or shouldn't work in a given case.

I'm not sure it will be helpful to you, but it did help me get my head around things.

#3 woodwitchofthewest

woodwitchofthewest

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:38 PM

I mostly read for myself.  I pretty much only read for others if they ask me to.  I have accurate readings both ways.  

I don't know what might account for my experience there.  I'd never heard there could be issues with reading for yourself.  Did you know about that before you tried reading for yourself the first time?  Or did you hear about it after not having much luck and researching the cause for that?   I wonder how much expectations or fears could play into the results.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tarot, oracle, divination, self reading