Sign in to follow this  
Nando

Tarot Deck Personalities

I’ve been reading with the same deck for almost 15 years. I feel like i have to read it differently than I do my other decks because we know each other too well. Like, I swear up and down, it’s passive agressive as hell and truly dislikes a few of my patrons.

Do your cards or other divinational tools seem to have personality traits?

• Upvote 1

The deck I normally use has a feeling of a good friend. One who would never let me down. We have been together for over 40 years now. I have been playing around with the Thoth Tarot, but I end up feeling that I am being unfaithful so I put the Thoth back on the shelf! It is just as well. The Thoth is far to large for my small hands. I normally use the Rider-Waite and I make no apology for it being commonly used. Back in the day it was quite difficult to get a range of Tarot!

I do have a deck that can get quite snarky, particularly if I'm reading for myself or my closest friend, much in the way of a friend saying, "Why do you ask?"

Often after this then reveals the underlying issue, not the query, as though impatient to get on with the meat of a situation, not dally round the edge of it. 

It is the oldest, favored deck of all I own.

• Upvote 1

I have primarily used the same deck for over 25 years. The first deck I ever had.

Like Tana said, it feels like an old and reliable friend, and I kind of feel unfaithful whenever I use other tarot decks. I do have a few sets of oracle cards and the like.

It is very straightforward and honest. No nonsense, no tip toeing around the issues, no beating around the bush.

Tana, mine is also the Rider-Waite-Smith.

I see no reason to mess with a good thing.

• Upvote 1

I got my first deck when I was 17.  I haven't used it in ages and I feel so bad.... 

It's definitely got personality.  Possessive as all hell, it won't read for literally anyone but me.  If I try, the reading comes out gibberish.  I pull the worst cards for the smallest things because it loves to be dramatic (I swear I pull the Tower and 10 of Swords at least twice as often when I use it).

I miss it a lot, actually.  It'll get some better use come summer when my mood picks up and I hope it will forgive me for my absence.

• Upvote 1

I find that lenormand decks in general tend to have a straight-forward, no-b.s. approach. I had a friend a few years ago who requested a general reading, so I threw a grand tableau for him (all 36 cards laid out in rows and columns). The cards ignored my friend's request and got really personal, hyperfocusing on a particular mental health issue he had been experiencing. He asked to stop half-way through and never asked me for a reading again. But it did not feel malicious, just like, 'you need to know and confront this. Do it.' I have a very similar personality, so I pretty much never stray from Lenormand now, we vibe really well!

• Upvote 1

I’m so glad others have had similar experiences.

My oldest deck is as comfortable and comforting as an old friend, but also isn’t afraid of giving ‘tough love’ and telling me what I need to hear. My Wildwood is very Serious. It gives Serious answers for Serious questions, only - it is very no-bullshit, and has little tolerance for frivolity.

Thoth Deck for me, my one and only!

• Upvote 2

Sign in to follow this