Besom,stang and sword.

Kalinia

Yep. Bought it  on a recommendation. Read it in two sittings.

Engagingly written, fairly solid magical system that makes sense for the context the authors give.

Reasonable levels of Trad Witch info, doesn't come off as Wiccan to me (though some nods to ceremonial magic and BTW) and provides a solid fundamental base that could take a new practitioner a decent way.

Has clearly been hit with the editing stick where some edgier topics have been glossed over a bit, but manages to avoid accumulating fluff in those places which is a point in its favour.

I'm adopting some of the tech. they use, but not the system as a whole, and (within reason) it does allow for this kind of flexibility.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

I'm reading this book currently, the authors, Christopher Orapello and Tara-Love Maguire, have a podcast called ,"Down at the Crossroads," that unfortunately hasn't been updated since August this year. Though in the podcast they used to be Wiccan and have moved toward a new path. Besom, Stang and Sword is a culmination of their new Path. I find it enjoyable as it has examples of their practices and gives great information to help the reader develop an understanding of the rituals, herbs and tools used. I haven't finished it yet, so I can't say how it ends, no spoilers..

🔥___

Edited by Match

On 2/22/2019 at 4:53 PM, Kalinia said:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/38643091-besom-stang-sword

Curious if anyone has read this? I am starting it in March with an online book "club". It sounds promising! I will update here with my review.

I've read this book and I found it a really good read. They talk about their system and how they see the world through it, but they also talk about some of the fundamentals about trad craft. This book along with Kelden's, The Crooked Path, and Gemma Gary's, Traditional Witchcraft, are the top three I point anyone to who is exploring trad craft. The reason for those three is that they all talk about their systems/paths and help those interested to see the common ground that a lot of different practices tend to have, but also how there are uniqueness to each practitioner's path, too. Chris and Tara's podcast also makes for a good and interesting listen.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1