Back to Basics

Into the Wild

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sollomyn_*

Guest_Sollomyn_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:36 PM

So I've had this idea for a while; it's actually been the primary reason I haven't actually initiated myself into Witchcraft officially yet. Sure; I could find a Self-Initiation Rite and buy all the tools, but that doesn't seem as special or sacred to me. Going through a more symbolic/dramatic initiatiation into an actual coven would be a little better, but it's still not all that special or sacred for me personally. So, here's MY idea of intitiation, and starting a Traditional Path. Interested in hearing others thoughts on it. 

Step 1: Strip Naked
Step 2: Run Into the Woods
Step 3: Return in a Year and a Day

In a nutshell lol. 

Basically it's the most dangerous, risky, painful, miserable and individualized form of Initiation; much akin to the Vision Quests of my Native American ancestors, only they were allowed to come back after a few days or so; however long it took for them to end up eating something that made them hallucinate lol.

During my Year and a Day, the overarching goal is to simply survive, but after the first couple weeks or so, survival will have become second nature; I'll have gotten a nice camp crafted and some basic stone and bone tools, food, water and fire, and clothing made from the fibrous inner bark of trees, (You can create twine with it, then you can weave the twine into pretty much anything. Takes a while though.)

After having the basics lined out, I'd get to work on making my primary witchcraft tools; Book of Shadows, Wand, Pentacle, Athame, Chalice, and Besom; making other tools in the future as my resources grow. Mining, smelting and forging all the metals needed will probably be the most challenging part, seeing as the only tools I'll have to work with at first will be made from wood, stone and bone. A lot of the first things I'd craft would be better working tools; like a hammer and long tongs for grabbing the ore out of the clay kiln; using a bloomery made out of wood and leather to get the heat necessary for blacksmithing (really really stupidly insanely hot). Definitely gonna be the hardest part. Especially considering I wouldn't have any of the standard safety gear used by modern day blacksmiths; I'd just have to do my best with making leather garments, leather apron and a leather mask with small slits; enough for me to see what I'm doing, but not enough to allow easy access to my eyes in the event of flying/splashing/exploding molten shards. Much like the eskimos. Basically just really primitive goggles; not the best protection but it provides at least a degree of protection. Better than nothing. 

My ultimate goal is to create a homestead by the end of the Year and a Day; complete with a garden and farm, everything there being made 100% completely by my own hands; all that will be seen there will be imbued with my blood, sweat, tears and essence. That's what I believe makes a witch's tools magick in the first place; it has to be way more personal than just buying a kit online in my opinion. 

Anyway; this is my personal way of starting a Traditional Path; by getting back to basics; back to the traditions of my ancestors, doing things the way they did, back before technology made slaves of humanity and weakened our spirit; I believe this path is the most direct one I can take straight to divinity; to learn from the God and Goddess themselves, in their own element, completely exposed to them in all my human carnality with no electrical buzzing, chaos of civilization, or toxic air and water, or a seemingly impenetrable layer of asphalt as far as the eye can see, cutting me off from the Earth and the cool embrace of her soil. Kinda makes me angry. As far as we have come technologically, they really oughta have figured out how to make floating roads and flying cars that run on renewable sources of energy by now lol. Not just the next great thing in a revolutionary bold new line of robotic sex dolls. Humanity embarasses me a lot lol. 

Edited by Sollomyn, 09 February 2019 - 11:43 PM.

#2 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:16 AM

That sounds awesome in theory. I take it you have extensive training and experience in the various skills and knowledge required to do such a thing successfully?

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#3 Guest_Sollomyn_*

Guest_Sollomyn_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:46 AM

Yup; it's pretty much been my life. Grew up on a small farm in Alaska living a self-proficient lifestyle; dad was a former Navy SEAL who was pretty much obsessed with preparing my sister and I for the end of the world; he was never really a dad so much as a drill sergeant; I joined the Alaska Youth Military Academy as a teenager; learned quite a bit there, most importantly attitude, determination and teamwork. Then I became a wildland firefighter for the DOF when I was seventeen; learned a lot of survival skills, reading the weather and predicting what it's going to do to the fire, disaster and hazmat incident mitigation strategies, universal flag codes and rescue signals, medical training, etc. 

I really only have a few things left to brush up on before I feel like I might be ready, then I'll head out, then I'll probably end up concluding that I wasn't ready, but it'll be too late to turn back, so it's a good thing I've pretty much mastered the art of maintaining a positive mental attitude under pressure haha. Even if I don't fulfill my dream goal, I know I'd at least be able to survive. I'd rather thrive though; go above and beyond just survival haha. One step at a time; don't think about the whole thing otherwise it'll seem too daunting. Like eating an elephant. Such a task seems far more accomplishable when you cut the elephant up into TV-dinner sized portions.  :)

#4 Guest_Sollomyn_*

Guest_Sollomyn_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:56 AM

My main concern is getting bitten by a poisonous insect or reptile; not too worried about eating any poisonous plants because I know how to detect and avoid a wide variety, and adequately test any that are unfamiliar. But a tiny but deadly little spider? Or a perfectly camoflaged, lightning fast rattle snake? .....There ain't shit I can do about that in the moment given that I won't have any modern medical supplies. That's just up to the fickle hand of fate right there lol. 

Or is it??? Mithridatism is the process of making oneself immune to venoms and poisons by carefully ingesting small amounts of the poison or venom for extended periods of time in order to force the human body to strengthen it's anti-bodies in order to adapt to the venom or poison. One individual has effectively made himself immune to the Black Mamba; one of the most deadliest snakes on the planet. He can withstand far more than the standard dose of Mamba venom, meaning if he were ever to get bitten in the wild by one, unlike 99% of the rest of the world, he'd be perfectly fine; not even a cold sweat lmao. 

Obviously I'd want to undergo this process with the dangerous insects and reptiles of the location I find to settle down at. 

#5 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Lazy witch

• Moderators
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 04:33 AM

So my thoughts.... 1. There’s easier ways of initiating yourself. Why do it like this? 2. Poisoning yourself slowly over time to become immune to something is a terrible idea, in the same school of bad ideas as arsenic face masks and lead toothpaste. 3. You’ve never been initiated into a serious path, which is fine, but you want your intro into witchcraft as a lifestyle to be this? That’s showy and over the top, and immature. There are less invasive ways to do it. You could just....you know.... DO WITCHCRAFT.

RSKHFMY

#6 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 04:38 AM

What Ravenshaw said.  Also, you know, I agree that in many ways our "civilized" lifestyles can hamper spirituality. And there is definitely spiritual benefit in being deeply in touch with nature and the rhythms of same. However, I also am quite certain that if our ancestor witches had access to modern conveniences they would use them gratefully and to their highest advantage. 

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#7 Volundr

Volundr

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 04:47 AM

I would just like to point out, that in relation to certain poisons - you can't build up immunity, but you can build up tolerance which isn't quite the same. For example, many of the plants within the Solanaceae genus weaken the heart, as tolerance is built overtime the damage to the heart would not only be irreparable but deadly. So, read some Parcacelsus and seek to understand how certain toxins, venoms, and poisons bilaterally effect the human body - many potentially could be tolerated but the cost of such might be too great. 

#8 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Lazy witch

• Moderators
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 04:55 AM

V - henbane comes to mind as a poison which fits into this category. Can’t become immune to it but you can definitely poison yourself pretty badly if you don’t pace yourself or take it correctly.

RSKHFMY

#9 Guest_Sollomyn_*

Guest_Sollomyn_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:41 AM

So my thoughts.... 1. There’s easier ways of initiating yourself. Why do it like this? 2. Poisoning yourself slowly over time to become immune to something is a terrible idea, in the same school of bad ideas as arsenic face masks and lead toothpaste. 3. You’ve never been initiated into a serious path, which is fine, but you want your intro into witchcraft as a lifestyle to be this? That’s showy and over the top, and immature. There are less invasive ways to do it. You could just....you know.... DO WITCHCRAFT.

1. My apologies; I thought I was clear as to why I feel I should do it like this (initiation). My reasoning is two-fold; to get closer to the god and goddess in their own element, and because I feel it's more sacred to manufacture all the working tools with my own hands instead of just buying a kit online; for me personally it would just seem disrespectful otherwise, and wouldn't connect with me. I'd rather take things slowly and truly honor tradition rather than just take the quick and easy way out. This is just my own feelings on the matter mind you; I don't see it as a requirement for everyone; just myself, because it's right for me, though it may not be right for others, and because for me, it would just be more fun, enjoyable and special this way. 

2. Incorrect; poisoning yourself to to become immune, (or to use a better word, resistant, as another poster said), is in no way, shape, or form anywhere close to the school of bad ideas as arsenic facemasks and lead toothpaste; those two ideas are monumentally stupid because the result is a death sentence. Mithradatism however is a highly sophisticated science that involves the careful and properly measured injection of a venom or poison for the purposes of developing a resistance to it to actually protect the body from such injuries in the future. Numerous snake handlers have gone through the process with their doctors to ensure there's no permanent injury done, and with some astounding results. I assure you, it is in fact inside an entirely different school of thought than arsenic facemasks and lead toothpaste. 

3. I'm having trouble understanding what you meant by number three; what do you mean by invasive? If you're fine with my having never been initiated into a serious path...then why wouldn't you be fine with how I'd like to initiate myself? I don't really understand what's showy or immature about it either; showy is a word that would imply I'd be doing it for someone else instead of for my own peace of mind and sense of accomplishment. And maturity, or the lack thereof, doesn't really come into play when it comes to matters of one's own spirituality; otherwise you might as well say every free-thinking person and every religious person is also immature, but I can't believe you really think that, so....yeah; having a rough time trying to determine what exactly your third issue is?  :geek:

What Ravenshaw said.  Also, you know, I agree that in many ways our "civilized" lifestyles can hamper spirituality. And there is definitely spiritual benefit in being deeply in touch with nature and the rhythms of same. However, I also am quite certain that if our ancestor witches had access to modern conveniences they would use them gratefully and to their highest advantage. 

Truly indeed; on both accounts; I'm sure they would have too, but they didn't because they couldn't, so they actually had to work a lot harder than modern day humans in order to form the very foundations of the Craft itself, and I don't personally feel I have any right to do any less than they did; that's HOW I want to connect myself to them, to the god and goddess, nature, and my own Choctaw ancestors. By taking a walk in their shoes for a change; learning the things they learned.  :)

I would just like to point out, that in relation to certain poisons - you can't build up immunity, but you can build up tolerance which isn't quite the same. For example, many of the plants within the Solanaceae genus weaken the heart, as tolerance is built overtime the damage to the heart would not only be irreparable but deadly. So, read some Parcacelsus and seek to understand how certain toxins, venoms, and poisons bilaterally effect the human body - many potentially could be tolerated but the cost of such might be too great. 

Thank you very much for sharing; I didn't know that. Definitely something to consider; I'd still rather develop a resistance to some poisons and venoms than none of them at all haha; it just seems like it could really come in handy; almost like a super power! I know there's been a lot of success with snakes; but I have yet to study up on other reptiles and insects. The alternative would be to MAKE anti-venom, which involves pretty much doing the same thing to a cow instead of myself, then somehow create the technology to extract the anti-venom from the cow's blood. All of that takes an incredibly long time and is incredibly expensive. It'd be simpler to just skip the cow and make myself resistant instead; there'd be no need to continuously make vials of anti-venom. The more efficient option should be clear to a thinking person who's looked into both subjects; even just briefly.  :)

Edited by Sollomyn, 10 February 2019 - 10:42 AM.

#10 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Lazy witch

• Moderators
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 04:03 PM

You're correct: If you want to initiate yourself by wandering off into the woods and poisoning yourself slowly over time, that's your MO. How much do you know about this kind of poison path? Mithridatism is indeed somewhat of a science - are you well researched in it, enough to administer it to yourself alone during a time which is already notoriously trying such as initiation? The post like the one about anti-venom and this idea of making a primitive version of what is now sophisticated biotechnology give me the sense that you're out of touch with what it would actually take to do this. 

RSKHFMY

#11 Guest_Sollomyn_*

Guest_Sollomyn_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2019 - 04:33 PM

I probably should've noted that I'd want to undergo that process before heading off into the woods, under the supervision of a professional. I felt that went without saying; one can't exactly find syringes in the wilderness. 

#12 Guest_Sollomyn_*

Guest_Sollomyn_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2019 - 04:40 PM

So far it seems the people here are jumping to conclusions and putting words in my mouth, speaking condescendingly and rudely, and I'd really like it if you or another admin would kindly delete my account and that'll be the end of it. I'm just not in the mood to fight and uphill battle against people who let their emotions cause so much discourse. I haven't said hardly a single thing about wicca in any of my posts, but I think you've convinced me; they're a far more open minded group of people and more pleasant to be around. Thanks for the limited opportunity anyway though. 

#13 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 05:39 PM

Sollomyn I will delete your account. I think you are too inexperienced in Traditional Craft and this has caused your postings to be questioned and discussed. I am sorry if you felt that this was condescending and rude. It may well be that this is not the path for you. I wish you well on your journey to find the correct path for you.

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.